Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leading "Vote Leave" campaigner switches sides due to lies and deceit Watch

ReputationRep:
    So how is this information gathered?
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I am sorry but all commentary about the make-up of the support base for the Remain and Leave camps is solidly consistent. The debate is about the size of various groups and the fringes. There is no-one out there with any expertise in demographics or polling suggesting that any trends have been misunderstood. I have given one source, but all other sources are solidly consistent about this, far more so than about the numbers supporting both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iknowbest)
    So how is this information gathered?
    The various polling companies have been polling this information for several years now. The one thing polling companies are very good at is the demographics of their participants because they need that for their bread and butter work which is commercial polling. Whilst support for Brexit has ebbed and flowed the make up of its supporters has not significantly changed.

ReputationRep:
    LOL.. sorry i don't mean to laugh. The part about our economy growing since we became a member.. LOL... I do apologise once again. So you know for sure the economy wouldn't have improved at a lesser, same or higher rate? If so how do you know this?

Please also let me know how you know the EU creates jobs? Would these jobs not have been created without the EU.. if so can you prove this? I am pretty sure we would have done GREAT without the Eu.. but that's just me using the FACT that we did well before we joined the EU.. but lets forget that right?!

(Original post by tanyapotter)
    the EU creates jobs and brings wealth to this country: that's the bare bones of it. you cannot deny this fact and you cannot continue to cover up the fact that so many jobs will be lost and so much economic insecurity will ensue if we leave.

our economy has only grown since we became a member of the EU in 1973. the facts are all there: try to look at this objectively and realise how irresponsibly brexiters are thinking.

ReputationRep:
    it makes 0% sense to switch side for this reason. this doesn't change the objective facts. you don't follow brexit via its campaign and advocacy team. you follow it via its facts. she is doing this for political reasons, *clearly*. it's like if I was a fan of breaking bad over game of thrones and I then preferred GOT instead because of the fan base of BB being worse - does that make sense? of course it ****ing doesn't

ReputationRep:
    Aghhhh the polling companies.. we are back to them.. well i explained that in my previous post.
    The various polling companies have been polling this information for several years now. The one thing polling companies are very good at is the demographics of their participants because they need that for their bread and butter work which is commercial polling. Whilst support for Brexit has ebbed and flowed the make up of its supporters has not significantly changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I wouldn't get too excited. Pollsters are bad at getting responses from pensioners and they go to the polls in droves. Yes, they will be motivated by racism, etc, which is why the Leavers are firmly using race/immigration as their main argument, but when they get into the booth, many older people vote status quo, as they have done in numerous referendums before.
    Once again, your side casually conflates concerns about uncontrolled immigration with racism and age.

You can't possibly know anything about the individual views of these millions of older voters, but feel free to regale the thread with your unpleasant and smug generalisations.

If anything your comment reveals far more about you than it does about these "pensioners in their droves."

Your ageist slip is showing. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The 350M is the gross figure and the point is if we leave. As we were a net contributed we have 3 options.

A) pay all the money we give to the eu to the same places as the EU. Left over money for NHS/other things.

B) do not pay the money to the same things pay it all to the NHS.

C) put all the money to other things. I.e the national debt.

Conservative supporter and proud

#voteleave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    The 350M is the gross figure and the point is if we leave. As we were a net contributed we have 3 options.

A) pay all the money we give to the eu to the same places as the EU. Left over money for NHS/other things.

B) do not pay the money to the same things pay it all to the NHS.

C) put all the money to other things. I.e the national debt.

Conservative supporter and proud

#voteleave
    The Treasury would go with

D) Keep the money.

Just glibly saying it would go to the NHS is absolute tripe, the Leavers would have no more say over this money than they do now.

ReputationRep:
    At least we have the choice on what to spend it on!

D) Keep the money.

Just glibly saying it would go to the NHS is absolute tripe, the Leavers would have no more say over this money than they do now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    Once again, your side casually conflates concerns about uncontrolled immigration with racism and age.

You can't possibly know anything about the individual views of these millions of older voters, but feel free to regale the thread with your unpleasant and smug generalisations.

If anything your comment reveals far more about you than it does about these "pensioners in their droves."

Your ageist slip is showing. :rolleyes:
    I'm going by survey data. A recent study showed that racist attitudes are strongest in the older part of the population.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ise-in-britain

As many studies show that they are also the most determined voters, it is simply good tactics by the Leave campaigns to bang on about immigration non-stop, an obvious dog whistle to racist attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    The EU is not democratic. This alone is enough of a reason to get the hell out.

ReputationRep:
    LOL.. sorry i don't mean to laugh. The part about our economy growing since we became a member.. LOL... I do apologise once again. So you know for sure the economy wouldn't have improved at a lesser, same or higher rate? If so how do you know this?

Please also let me know how you know the EU creates jobs? Would these jobs not have been created without the EU.. if so can you prove this? I am pretty sure we would have done GREAT without the Eu.. but that's just me using the FACT that we did well before we joined the EU.. but lets forget that right?!
    .....are you mad? we were at war 30 years before we joined the EU. how was that "doing well"?

ReputationRep:
    So we chose to go to war.. technically you are right there, but that's another story! We also paid for 2 world wars and came out of it.. just about I might add.. but giving away Palestine to the Zionists did help us win a war i guess.. ahh yes all that land we once owned before joining the EU.. them where the days hey. ahh well those good times are over now
    .....are you mad? we were at war 30 years before we joined the EU. how was that "doing well"?

ReputationRep:
    So we chose to go to war.. technically you are right there, but that's another story! We also paid for 2 world wars and came out of it.. just about I might add.. but giving away Palestine to the Zionists did help us win a war i guess.. ahh yes all that land we once owned before joining the EU.. them where the days hey. ahh well those good times are over now
    "them where the days"? Really? If you're going to base your whole argument against the EU on patriotism then at least learn the very basics of English grammar.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about grammar never will.. you understand what i am writing so does it really matter? Such a shame when people need to bring spelling mistakes or grammar into a debate.. ohh you are soooo clever
    "them where the days"? Really? If you're going to base your whole argument against the EU on patriotism then at least learn the very basics of English grammar.

ReputationRep:
    Young Jordan is going to be a suicide risk when Britain leaves, isn't he?

Bless him.

ReputationRep:

D) Keep the money.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks that whatever sum we give to the EU would be directed to the NHS is deluded.

The Leave campaign, in its various guises, has already promised portions of the EU contribution to other causes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises;65594579[b)
    ]I would say this has the whiff of a pre-planned operation to it[/b], but then I've seen her enough on TV talking about the Tory approach to the NHS and welfare and trying to justify the unjustifiable to think that she's either very confused or not bothered.

Even if she's sincere, it's incredible that someone bright enough to be a GP and then an MP can be so deluded as to have bought into all the lies of the Leave campaign in the first place. But then she's a Tory MP, so probably she's used to it. :rolleyes:
    No doubt about it. That or a plushy promotion awaits

ReputationRep:
    I think almost certainly. Boris will be protected (consider the postwar career of your namesake) but woebetide any other Leave supporters. What happened to Atlanta, will happen to them.
    There's nothing like a show trial for encouraging the others.

ReputationRep:
    With people like Gove, Redwood, Duncan-Smug and Farage running the public face of Leave, it was always going to be tricky for them to recruit heavyweight or serious people and they have pretty much failed on that front - almost all of the big official bodies and representative organisations in every sector for example are for Remain.
    And almost every big offical bodies and represenatitive organisations in every sector are BANKROLLED AND FUNDED BY THE EU (With OUR money WE the taxpayers give the EU)

When people call to axe the BBC does it surprise you when people like Graham Norton and Gary Lineker, who are payed massive salaries by the BBC come out in robust defence of it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.