Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'NEVER call us racist again' Ukip's black and ethnic minority candidates fight back Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captainslow69)
    One could argue that their parents are part of the 'problem'. What makes their parents or grandparents superior to a current economic migrant? They are both the same and so none has the right to tell another whether he/she can migrate here or not. Because the very same opportunity could've been prevented all those years ago.
    But the people from the commonwealth came in limited numbers, just what we needed for labour-it benefited them, and us, because it was about need for our society...that was around 30,000 a year, now it's at least 10 times that every year in an overcrowded country.Also it's solely we can 'grow' our GDP and population, use lower and lower wage labour, nothing to do with quality of life or GDP per person.

I don't see any logical contradiction. Surely you can be a person who's parents came here as part of controlled immigration at sensible levels, a sensible pace, which was far more successful in terms of integration, (not to mention less economically cynical), and support the same policy now rather than what we have; You have to have limits and the right pace, the evidence is there in our own history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    But the people from the commonwealth came in limited numbers, just what we needed for labour-it benefited them, and us, because it was about need for our society...that was around 30,000 a year, now it's at least 10 times that every year in an overcrowded country.Also it's solely we can 'grow' our GDP and population, use lower and lower wage labour, nothing to do with quality of life or GDP per person.
    Agreed. So why is it that 120,000 immigrants from outside the EU arrived last year? And why is employment so subbornly low? (Lowest since 2005) I thought these pesky immigrants were taking our jobs, our women and our houses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    Pervading almost every aspect of the political discourse in this party, you cannot deny that racism manifests. It is true that the party itself perhaps, very wisely, does not present itself as racist but it does espouse the 'britishness' that for many fails to encompass the true cultural diversity of this nation. In turn, this facilitates support from some on the far right, which pollutes the party's identity in the media. While we agree that UKIP's ethos does not intend to be racist, it cannot be denied that some of its members do unfortunately, express racist sentiment.
    Here we go again with the whole "far right is bad" nonsense. Let me clear this up for you all: religious right = bad. Secular right = the only peaceful future this screwed up world has.

I'm a proud nationalist, a proud native Englishman and a proud Kipper. Not a single one of those things is a bad thing to be, anyone who'd say otherwise needs to get their head out of their backsides and learn what nationalism actually means and what UKIP actually stands for.

ReputationRep:
    Just because a political party happens to have members from ethnic minority backgrounds doesn't mean that the party can't be racist. I wouldn't say that UKIP is racist though some members might be, but the party as a whole isn't.

(Original post by Peroxidation)
    Here we go again with the whole "far right is bad" nonsense. Let me clear this up for you all: religious right = bad. Secular right = the only peaceful future this screwed up world has.

I'm a proud nationalist, a proud native Englishman and a proud Kipper. Not a single one of those things is a bad thing to be, anyone who'd say otherwise needs to get their head out of their backsides and learn what nationalism actually means and what UKIP actually stands for.
    I don't have issues with patriotism, but when it extends into jingoism I think it can be a serious harm and undermines the social consensus into society.
    I'm going to begin with some rebuttal-
    First, on your point that expresses how we should all openly espouse Britishness in society and anybody that does not 'needs to get their head out of their backsides'. This is false. Indeed, identity is fundamentally subjective, your perspective does not support multiculturalism but rather fuels this growing polarisation in society. I think this is an incredibly ignorant stance to have in contemporary society, we no longer live as one homogenous ethnic group. This nation proudly hosts a variety of cultures, and this together makes up the prevailing social norms and values in society. I'm not denying you are entitled to an opinion, nor the freedom to express it, but when you vehemently disapprove of other people's beliefs- this is a serious harm for our society and lacks a sophisticated acknowledgement of the diversity of beliefs currently hosted in society.
    Second, I'm not too sure how secularism provides the best ideology for this world either. The fact is science as a metanarrative, in the absence of religious belief deriving from the rationalisation witnessed in the enlightenment period, has also declined with people blaming it for the various problems in our world today- global warming, mass warfare, genocides etc. We live in a society of relativism- people hold different views, but these views generally will be part of the mainstream culture. What we don't accept is when these views manifest in extremism- British nationalism turning into chauvinism/jingoism/racism, Islamic views turning into religious fundamentalism/Occidentalism. By openly conforming to this perspective on nationalism, you are legitimising the ideology of Orientalism- soon to provoke the inevitable 'clash of civilisation' that will only exacerbate the current turmoil under the status quo. Political ideologies such as Communism, Nazism, Fascism all operate in secularised environments- are you literally going to claim the PRC has superior living conditions to the UK and the USA because of their open restrictions on religious belief?
    Ultimately, there are problems with migration, we accept, but it is the manner in which UKIP conduct their campaign- and the audience they appeal to- which undermine the validity of their claim that UKIP is entirely free of racism within their party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Agreed. So why is it that 120,000 immigrants from outside the EU arrived last year? And why is employment so subbornly low? (Lowest since 2005) I thought these pesky immigrants were taking our jobs, our women and our houses?
    It's lower than Southern Europe, anywhere would be. It's low for migrants from poor countries, naturally as they come from places where the wage is so low. What about the people from within our own country offered this deal, wages that afford them no quality of life, I'm pretty sure these wages don't get you a roof over your head in many cases, and have you living of food banks. Plus you get continually demonized as being worthless...is that morally responsible government, or what Labour should collude in, creating a massive underclass of young Britons?

If the overall numbers coming are high, it looks a lower percent of employment,and also, we are not looking at the rate for indigenous Brits, and no they are not all innately terrible people, as you supposedly compassionate liberals like to say.

The people from elsewhere are used for the same economic system, I'd like to see those numbers reduced to and the British people will demand it, along with economic reform. I don't approve of those numbers either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.