Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AJ's Summer 2016 Anime Preview Thread watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kadak)
    I watched the first episode of D grayman Hallow yesterday,I found it alright,I guess maybe you need to rekind yourself of what happened last series ?
    Is it possible if you could do one foranga possibly ?
    Thanks
    It has been a LONG time since I watched the first series, so I do need a refresh. Though when I'll find the time for that while I continue to pick up 18-20 series each season, who knows. :p:

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that second part. :confused:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hitori no Shita: The Outcast

I may have had enough of vampires, but zombies are far rarer in anime than in Western media for some reason, so Hitori no Shita has that going for it. I'm also intrigued by the cleaver-wielding, ID-faking Baobao - trying to bury the protagonist in his own grandfather's empty grave then leaving him for the zombies somehow endeared her to me. :p: Nothing personal though, as Chulan himself seems like a good lead. I'm never going to be able to pronounce those Chinese names though. :o: Animation-wise, not that spectacular seeing as it isn't being produced by a big Japanese studio, but I've seen worse. I'm taking a gamble in picking this up, hopefully the plot and characters will continue to make up for the meh visuals.

---

Qualidea Code

Qualidea Code did some original things with its generic 'schoolkids vs CG aliens' concept - most of the remaining humans are children who were put into cold sleep when the enemy first attacked, so for once it makes sense they're the ones fighting. More interestingly, they're ranked based on how many of the UNKNOWN they've killed, and care about these rankings to the extent that friendly fire and interference with each other isn't uncommon! Their 'World' powers seemed a bit too magical and convenient, but there may be more to them than meets the eye as well. Plus not all characters even had them, some fought with guns, which again isn't that common. Dialogue and characters were pretty good. If it had aired earlier, maybe I'd have kept this on, but for now it's dropped.

---

Ange Vierge

This felt very similar to Qualidea Code - flying characters with magical powers fighting against giant CGI monstrosities that threaten to destroy the world (or five worlds, in this case). It even had a ranking system that the characters were obsessed with! Ange Vierge showed off all its main cast by having them take part in a quick battle... but things quickly calmed down, as they all took a bath to relax afterwards. And stayed in there. For the rest of the episode. We certainly got to know them all over the course of those 20 minutes, though not as deeply as the Bluray viewers will I'm sure. :rolleyes: Eh, on the positive side the character designs were nice, very varied with all sorts of wings and ears and heterochromia on display. It was more tolerable than Masou Gakuen HxH. Still dropped like a lead weight, however.

With virtually everything having aired now, I'll be clearing what's left on my maybe list - picking up Handa-kun, and dropping Hatsukoi Monster
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hachi Gakari 2nd

The first series was a mixed bag, a few good episodes padded out by several dire ones, so in a season as good as this I'm not going to be taking a chance on the second half being any better. That said, it certainly got off to a good start, with humorous (re)introductions of characters old and new. Plot-wise, it looks as though it'll be the same old 'terrorist giving members of the public powered suits to do their dirty work for them' format as before, though we don't know who's pulling the strings this time or why. Same old transformation scenes as well. There's less red tape restricting Unit 8 now though, so at least they'll have more power to act than before. Fans of the first series shouldn't be disappointed by this.

---

DANGANRONPA 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-Hen

Just as a reminder, this is the one that focuses on characters you'll know from the first Danganronpa anime. Protagonist Naegi has been accused of treason for helping the terrorists known as the 'Remnants of Despair' (who seem to be the focus of this season's other Danganronpa series). What starts as an interrogation quickly descends into the same locked building survival game/murder mystery format as before, complete with Monokuma - but again, who's the real mastermind this time? The new cast members all seem as bizarre as I'd expect from the original, so this should be good fun. As I mentioned before it aired though, I don't plan on watching just one of the Danganronpa 3s in case they overlap; it's both or neither, so we'll see how good the later airing one is.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Mob Psycho 100

This was basically One Punch Man, but with psychics and spirits instead of heroes and villains. And I'm surprisingly okay with that. Top production values mean that it looked and sounded great, and the comedy (though it could get repetitive) is certainly amusing at this early stage. This time it's the apprentice Mob who has all the power, while his master Reigen is a phony con-artist, which makes for a different dynamic than Saitama and Genos' relationship. And then there's the percentage counter, steadily rising towards 100... I'll happily pick this up alongside Battery, if the baseball show impresses me more than the Danganronpa duo.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just confirming that, as Mahou Shoujo? Naria☆Girls is a short (8 minute episodes), I won't be posting a summary of the first episode here.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    DANGANRONPA 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen

I was worried that this was going to be the same thing as Mirai-hen (another survival game/murder mystery), but with different characters. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case; this first episode felt more like Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, with its eccentric teacher and disillusioned classmates - the shared staff and studio also contributed to that feeling! All that this episode did was introduce the characters, so I haven't a clue where it will be going from here... aside from the fact it'll all end in despair. Enjoyable enough, but not to the extent that I feel I have to keep watching it, so I'll give the late-airing Battery a chance first.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Battery

Here we are at last, the final new series of the season! A bit slow-paced, this one, the kind of anime I'd rather marathon after it's finished, as I wouldn't have the patience to follow it weekly. As I said before, there's no shortage of baseball anime out there already, but Battery stands out a little in that its protagonist is a good pitcher, and he knows it - no 'weak kid fueled by determination alone' or 'newbie who happens to be a natural' to be found here. Similarly, the build-up and dialogue was less cliche than in a lot of sport anime, with the catcher and pitcher meeting before starting school together, and already getting into a small argument. This has the potential to be a decent show, but dropped for now.

With that decided, I'll also be dropping Mob Psycho 100, and picking up both Mirai-Hen and Zetsubou-hen of Danganronpa 3 to complete my lineup. :yes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.