Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    According to you, People don't seek jobs are considered weak, people like you who think wage discrimination does not exist is too naive and narrow-minded.

(Original post by banterboy)
    You really dont understand how to argue

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have to be anything "severe".

It could just be the fact that someone you respect or trust has told you that you are not well suited, or worse not good enough, to pursue that career.

Or it could be that someone, whose judgement or opinion you trust, has told you the wrong information and that has stopped you from pursuing something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiton)
    Because such incidents never happened to you or your relatives/friends, you won't feel uncomfortable enough to consider that. If something makes you feel uncomfortable, uneasy enough to stop you from pursuing, think about how serious and severe the incidents are about?

For example,
    If you like to keep your windows open while on the newspaper showing windows left opened let thieves have a chance to rob/rape/sabotage etc the houses/ people in the house, I am sure according to your mentality, you will not be put off to leave your windows open. Until your house actually get sabotaged and robbed.
    Do you have an example that actually relates to the subject at hand? Of course I would close my windows, because there's an increased chance of being robbed. Last I checked, working in a male dominated industry didn't have such potentially dangerous outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbowcorn)
    get a stronger mentality? lol
    Im a female and like i said above, i do think it is good to have things set up to encourage females (or males!) to go into fields where there aren't many females (or males). Of course, if someone is passionate about something, lets say finance in this situation, then it would be silly for them not to do it. However, i think we're past that stage of 'thats not socially acceptable, i will choose a different job' (with exceptions), and i think companies setting up programmes to encourage females dont have the goal of making females more comfortable (that too of course) but generally getting more females in the finance sector. This isn't discriminating men. This is merely creating more options, so i might see an advert etc one day and be like 'Oh, i would never usually consider finance. But I like the sound of it' and thus increase my interest. THIS IS MY OPINION.
    I agree with you but it isn't fair to provide more opportunity to one gender than the other. Like i said previously there was two opportunity in sixth form to get some experience with computing but that's only for females.I'm not against it but it does affect men. For example, i could had a great experience, place it in my CV that i worked for this big computer company, land myself a university place and make even a job.

I already have to compete with other males for a job but a female can't compete? and has more of a chance.
    It is stupid to recruit a female just to fill up ur gender quota for the year. Just recruit skilled people and that's all.

I'm pretty sure you would be angry if the job your passionate about got taken by a Gay Mexican cause their a minority and we need to hire more LGBT to increase diversity and seem like a better company, even though that person may be stupider or on the same level as you. The fact their a minority gives them a job.

ReputationRep:
    Failure stops people from pursuing things at some point, both females and males. Males tend not to admit their weaknesses and failures, they like to hide it, but that does not mean they don't feel discouraged at the same time for applying certain things?

(Original post by J-SP)
    It doesn't have to be anything "severe".

It could just be the fact that someone you respect or trust has told you that you are not well suited, or worse not good enough, to pursue that career.

Or it could be that someone, whose judgement or opinion you trust, has told you the wrong information and that has stopped you from pursuing something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnightCode)
    I agree with you but it isn't fair to provide more opportunity to one gender than the other. Like i said previously there was two opportunity in sixth form to get some experience with computing but that's only for females.I'm not against it but it does affect men. For example, i could had a great experience, place it in my CV that i worked for this big computer company, land myself a university place and make even a job.

I already have to compete with other males for a job but a female can't compete? and has more of a chance.
    It is stupid to recruit a female just to fill up ur gender quota for the year. Just recruit skilled people and that's all.

I'm pretty sure you would be angry if the job your passionate about got taken by a Gay Mexican cause their a minority and we need to hire more LGBT to increase diversity and seem like a better company, even though that person may be stupider or on the same level as you. The fact their a minority gives them a job.
    You are of course assuming that the competition isn't rigged in favour of men in the first place. If that were the case I would agree this is unreasonable, but as it isn't, I have no issue with it.

ReputationRep:
    Those prestigious company only allows candidate to apply forONE internship/job per year/term. The difference between normal schemes and woman in business is, female can choose to work in an environment with both males and females, OR with female leaders. If A (female) applied for Normal, she cannot apply for woman in business. Equal opportunities, and do some research.

ReputationRep:
    You just have to get used to it, feminism has made the world replace logic with gullibility and emotion.

We have to just accept it.

You only have to compare University admission statistics to see the issue.

A much higher percentage of female applicants get a place than the percentage of male applicants that get accepted.

It's frankly disgusting that filling a quota is more important than picking candidates based purely on credentials.

ReputationRep:

i completely understand you, i think if it happens one way it should happen the other way, however in the finance sector, it is a fact that there are more men, thus men don't NEED more encouragement, but women DO. however, in languages for example, or subjects/careers which are already more female driven, there should be encouragement to help men to get into that field, and vice versa

ReputationRep:
    People don't seek jobs are considered weak, people like you who think wage discrimination does not exist is too naive and narrow-minded.
    Ahahaha please tell me you don't think the wage gap is real? :lol:

I'm going to enjoy this one

ReputationRep:
    Failure stops people from pursuing things at some point, both females and males. Males tend not to admit their weaknesses and failures, they like to hide it, but that does not mean they don't feel discouraged at the same time for applying certain things?
    This isn't even about failure though. This is about being informed and supported enough to know whether the opportunity is out there for you in the first place.

Sure failure will also stop people applying, and probably the organisations who are recruiting people will be quite happy to let those people have that attitude (whether male or female) because to put it frankly, they won't want someone who gives up easily on their graduate programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    You are of course assuming that the competition isn't rigged in favour of men in the first place. If that were the case I would agree this is unreasonable, but as it isn't, I have no issue with it.
    Enlighten me how it is rigged for men?

ReputationRep:
    Yes the problem of crappy careers advice and people discouraging people from considering careers is still a huge problem.

Clearly you are very fortunate to have not experienced it.

ReputationRep:
    i completely understand you, i think if it happens one way it should happen the other way, however in the finance sector, it is a fact that there are more men, thus men don't NEED more encouragement, but women DO. however, in languages for example, or subjects/careers which are already more female driven, there should be encouragement to help men to get into that field, and vice versa
    I still disagree.

Why are we encouraging people to work in a different field? Why cannot people just work in this field they want to?

I remember going to my sixth form open day, and we were faced with 2 huge posters, saying (and I quote as I have a pic of it xD)
    1) "Are you female? You may wish to consider these subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Biology, Further Maths"
    2) "Are you male? You may wish to consider these subjects: Art, Sociology, Media Studies, Fashion Textiles, English, History, Classics"

Why is there a campaign? That is clearly not the common interest. There was constantly teachers from the girl-dominated classes coming over to us guys and offering their course.

Sorry but we should not be forcing people to study somewhere, it should be equal opportunity for all. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for being understand! , yep. I'm up for encouragement, just not gender quota that is demanded xD

ReputationRep:
    I am responding to your comment about failures, sir. not well suited (not fully equipped, failed to achieve at that stage),not good enough (clearly you are incapable?)

Your wrote' It could just be the fact that someone you respect or trust has told you that you are not well suited, or worse not good enough, to pursue that career.
    '

(Original post by J-SP)
    This isn't even about failure though. This is about being informed and supported enough to know whether the opportunity is out there for you in the first place.

Sure failure will also stop people applying, and probably the organisations who are recruiting people will be quite happy to let those people have that attitude (whether male or female) because to put it frankly, they won't want someone who gives up easily on their graduate programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    You just have to get used to it, feminism has made the world replace logic with gullibility and emotion.

We have to just accept it.

You only have to compare University admission statistics to see the issue.

A much higher percentage of female applicants get a place than the percentage of male applicants that get accepted.

It's frankly disgusting that filling a quota is more important than picking candidates based purely on credentials.
    A major contributor to women being over represented in universities is that they out perform their male counterparts in terms of academic achievement.

But like the initiatives we are discussing, universities need to do more to ensure they recruit a diverse range of students and I agree that a lot of work needs to be done to improve that. Gender is just the tip of the iceberg though, ethnicity and social mobility are much bigger issues that universities need to tackle first (and that includes recruiting low SEB while males).

ReputationRep:
    Enlighten me how it is rigged for men?
    Studies have been carried out submitting CV's to UK top 100 companies that are identical with the exception of the name at the top. Apparently putting a female name results in you being significantly less likely to be invited to interview and if successful at interview you will on average be offered £5000 less than men for the same role. I believe similar studies have been carried out for minorities, but that isn't the topic at hand.

I fail to believe this is a coincidence.

I'd also note that these schemes probably make up a couple of % of the hiring policy for these companies at most.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies guys! this was only a joke. Just wanted to troll. Of course i know there the male to female ratio in the finance industry is unbalanced. Hope you dont hate me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Yes the problem of crappy careers advice and people discouraging people from considering careers is still a huge problem.

Clearly you are very fortunate to have not experienced it.
    HUH? that both genders.

My family forced me to study biology and chemistry and to become a doctor, but i disagreed with them, having a massive argument and doing computing now . It not like my friends didn't tell me i couldn't get an A or study computer science.

DO you JUST like neglect the fact that both genders are given "crappy career advice" and are discouraged.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.