Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S15 – Statement of Intent from Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Voluntary, why have an army full of people who aren't committed?
    I'll refer you to my previous point; voluntary national service doesn't work.

And conscription is probably more effective than you think, i know that if there was national service, I'd probably love the experience, although I wouldn't join the army as a career choice because I have other plans.

Conscription, when properly enforced, is seriously underrated and can do wonders for the relationship between the armed forces and civilian life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Voluntary, why have an army full of people who aren't committed?
    The military are good at discipline, they may not want to be there but they WILL become committed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I am surprised you agree with the policy of the government creating a job for every unemployed young person in Britain, the policy is the real life work for benefits policy but the benefits have become the living wage.
    I'm actually open to the idea of full employment so for those unemployed for a long period, i have no problem conscripting them. My general agreement is with the statement as a whole, naturally at the bill stage i will be pushing for some amendments to certain things.

(Original post by RayApparently)
    The Minister makes some interesting points and observations. Though this SOI is ultimately more evidence that his not inconsiderable talents were best appreciated and utilised when he was on the correct side of the House. The confused perspective on Trade Unions reflects, I feel, the Minister's own ideological confusion.
    What's the trade union issue? I personally have no issue with people choosing to collectively bargain, my problem is with striking. So long as strikes are discouraged further i'll have no problem supporting Lime Man's stuff.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I like English breakfast tea, I cannot stand the modern fancy teas with lots of different flavours in, I think PG Tips is my favourite.
    I do love Tea myself. I tend to drink Indian Tea which has been registered in Ireland for tax purposes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Fez, change the title.
    What??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    What??
    It's not an SoI.

--------------------

I'm surprised to say I support the majority of policies in this, except for limiting the power of trade unions to strike - this is one of the only things addressing the imbalance of power in labour markets and removing it would cause market inefficiencies, not to mention being unfair. I support reducing corporation tax, but do not support reducing or removing CGT, which should be maintained if not increased (and tbh I think most of what falls under it should be designated as subject to income tax anyway).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    It's not an SoI.

--------------------

I'm surprised to say I support the majority of policies in this, except for limiting the power of trade unions to strike - this is one of the only things addressing the imbalance of power in labour markets and removing it would cause market inefficiencies, not to mention being unfair. I support reducing corporation tax, but do not support reducing or removing CGT, which should be maintained if not increased (and tbh I think most of what falls under it should be designated as subject to income tax anyway).
    Is it surprising you support an item written by a labourite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's not an SoI.
    It was submitted by the PM as an SoI in consultation with the GD, so an SoI it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is it surprising you support an item written by a labourite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    'Labourite'. Not sure what party you think James should be in, but it ain't Labour.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    'Labourite'. Not sure what party you think James should be in, but it ain't Labour.
    It ain't the Tories either

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It ain't the Tories either

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely not either of the Lib parties.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    It was submitted by the PM as an SoI in consultation with the GD, so an SoI it is.
    This really isnt an SoI, absolutely nothing in this statement can be enacted without follow up legislation or further SOIs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Id rather not have people specualting which party i belong in. I'll have you know that i belong in thw conservative party, the party that i intended on joining as soon as the lime man account was created and as soon as i had the opportunity to actually join.

Jammy, you have your right to an opinion and i will not deny you that, but you're coming across more immature and whiney by the day when everyone else (other than your personal cuck) has moved on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I like English breakfast tea, I cannot stand the modern fancy teas with lots of different flavours in, I think PG Tips is my favourite.
    See, same here! We're practically twins Nige. I mean, I'm not particularly fussy on the brand. Yorkshire Tea is pretty good.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    I do love Tea myself. I tend to drink Indian Tea which has been registered in Ireland for tax purposes.
    See - now there's a drink for an 'aspirational capitalist'.
    Also, my point about Trade Unions was that it sounded like the Minister couldn't decide whether he supported them or not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    See, same here! We're practically twins Nige. I mean, I'm not particularly fussy on the brand. Yorkshire Tea is pretty good.

See - now there's a drink for an 'aspirational capitalist'.
    Also, my point about Trade Unions was that it sounded like the Minister couldn't decide whether he supported them or not.
    I am a trade union member, but i have seen the damage that they can do to businesses and livelihoods. I support trade unions, but as long as what they're doing is what's best for the people and not doing them harm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I am a trade union member, but i have seen the damage that they can do to businesses and livelihoods. I support trade unions, but as long as what they're doing is what's best for the people and not doing them harm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyone could say that last sentence. Absolutely anyone. 'I support them when they're good'. Like I said, I'll judge when I see the legislation which I'm sure will clarify your position.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Id rather not have people specualting which party i belong in. I'll have you know that i belong in thw conservative party, the party that i intended on joining as soon as the lime man account was created and as soon as i had the opportunity to actually join.

Jammy, you have your right to an opinion and i will not deny you that, but you're coming across more immature and whiney by the day when everyone else (other than your personal cuck) has moved on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You do not belong in the Conservative Party, you do not have many conservative beliefs, you do not share their love of the market, and you have a left-wing side that takes over in policy debates. I think members have moved on because you are not debating your policies, you are ignoring the start of a debate choosing to push more details, some members have the patience to not let the inadequacy slide.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Anyone could say that last sentence. Absolutely anyone. 'I support them when they're good'. Like I said, I'll judge when I see the legislation which I'm sure will clarify your position.
    You probably wont like it, just a heads up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You do not belong in the Conservative Party, you do not have many conservative beliefs, you do not share their love of the market, and you have a left-wing side that takes over in policy debates. I think members have moved on because you are not debating your policies, you are ignoring the start of a debate choosing to push more details, some members have the patience to not let the inadequacy slide.
    Sorry for not loving the market. I love my family, my girlfriend, our unborn son and many other things but not an entity. In the same way that i dont love the market, i dont love the state, i dont love the british people, i dont love Top Gear...

If you genuinely have a love for the market then you must be really lonely. The market is a means to an end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sorry for not loving the market. I love my family, my girlfriend, our unborn son and many other things but not an entity. In the same way that i dont love the market, i dont love the state, i dont love the british people, i dont love Top Gear...

If you genuinely have a love for the market then you must be really lonely. The market is a means to an end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is deflecting an issue, love could be switched for like, you do not like the free market, nor have conservative views, I am helping you out here, become an independent, or join the refugee party.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.