Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_jeffries)
    The answer is rubidium
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakey236)
    Anyone else get -217 for bond calculation?
    i got -486.5

ReputationRep:
    On the specific heat capacity question I think I got an answer of around 55.104? Didn't you have to do 0.8 x 4.2 x (38.4-22.0) since that was the temperature change?

ReputationRep:
    3444 is the right answer
    yahhhhh I got that !!!!!!!!!! how many marks was that 2 ????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roquebrune2014)
    For bond energies I am 100% sure it should be (-)1,276. I wrote out all the bonds underneath next to their bond energies, added up each side of the reaction and checked the numbers 3 times (I finished quite early so thought I'd count up each side again)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that's what I got

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasSidney1)
    On the specific heat capacity question I think I got an answer of around 55.104? Didn't you have to do 0.8 x 4.2 x (38.4-22.0) since that was the temperature change?
    Not 0.8, it was 50. It was meant ot be mas of water heated not mass of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    For the specific heat capacity, didn't it ask for the energy of the alcohol, so you used the mass of the alcohol not the water?

ReputationRep:
    I got that but I think it's wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is 50x4.2x16.4, if they asked you to find energy released per gram, you would then divide this by 0.8, but they didn't

ReputationRep:
    Questions:
    Natural source of methane: Natural gas (i don't really know if it's right)
    Elements with lowest boiling point: Fluorine (had a look on Google)
    2 observations that you will see in the test tubes for the reaction of sodium carbonate and ethanoic acid: effervescence in the 1st tube, the presence of carbon dioxide gas causes limewater to turn cloudy in 2nd test tube.
    Combustion of ethanol: C2H50H + 302 -> 2CO2 + 3H20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antediluvian)
    For the specific heat capacity, didn't it ask for the energy of the alcohol, so you used the mass of the alcohol not the water?
    Sadly not, when doing a calorimetry test, you want to see how well the burning of the fuel will heat the water, which is why you use the volume and specific heat capacity of the water, and the temperature change experienced by the water.

ReputationRep:
    I put calcium hydrogen-carbonate decomposes when heated to form calcium carbonate the scale etc would i get the marks still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fr3dg)
    I think 3

Thanks! I believe you get 1 mark for the Correct temperature (Delta Theta)
    1 mark for rearranging the equation
    1 mark for the right answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fr3dg)
    How?
    I wrote rubidium but I think the answer is fluorine

ReputationRep:
    That answer is right
    which ANSWER? 4305 or 3444?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadxa)
    which ANSWER? 4305 or 3444?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fr3dg)
    Sadly not, when doing a calorimetry test, you want to see how well the burning of the fuel will heat the water, which is why you use the volume and specific heat capacity of the water, and the temperature change experienced by the water.
    Thanks, I am such an idiot :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fr3dg)

So what is the answer? 4305 or 3444?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francis197)
    I put calcium hydrogen-carbonate decomposes when heated to form calcium carbonate the scale etc would i get the marks still
    If u talked about the effect on thermal conduction of the kettle, meaning more energy was required to heat the water to the same temperature as well, then I'm sure you would've got the marks

ReputationRep:
    i misread the units and put -1.276 becos i divided by 1000 at the end; will i lose only 1 mark or all 3?
    (Original post by row1409)
    that's what I got

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 7, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.