Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Proof?

Also, saying that growth in right wing parties is a problem is incorrect, that's not extremism.
    Anders Brevik massacre is one, the attempted Euro 2016 attack which was stopped by Ukrainian police a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned above (and I have noticed this on Twitter), right-wingers are now saying his motivations are irrelevant and he's just a lone lunatic, while some on the left are saying that now (unlike in Orlando, Florida) motivations do matter and his political associations are relevant.

My own view is that ideological motivations (and the tone of political and ideological debate in the circles in which Mateen and the Cox shooter moved) are relevant, even if the person is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    Anders Brevik massacre is one, the attempted Euro 2016 attack which was stopped by Ukrainian police a few weeks ago.
    So one attack, 1 attempted murder and one attempted attack in 5 years is evidence of a significant problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    British terrorism is despicable.
    What is "British terrorism"?

ReputationRep:
    Arrested 52 year old named as Tommy Mair

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, we can't be sure if this was an act based on the EU, or just some right wing nutter who attacked his local labour MP. It is a hot topic, but I still think that it's slightly presumptuous to associate this with Brexit, and certainly to place a measure of blame on the campaign itself. Likely that this guy was planning to vote leave (he attacked a left wing MP), and my guess is that the attack would have probably been partially, if not fully, motivated by the referendum, but worth waiting to see what comes out before jumping to conclusions. No point debating something that isn't true/relevant.

ReputationRep:
    So one attack, 1 attempted murder and one attempted attack in 5 years is evidence of a significant problem?
    Breivik wasn't an "attempted attack", he set off a car bomb in central Oslo killing 8 and injuring over 200, then proceeded to Utoya island where he mowed down 69 young Norwegian Labour Party members and injured another 110.

Nothing "attempted" about it

ReputationRep:
    Those aren't the only attacks, I just listed two because you wanted 'proof', you didn't specify you require a certain frequency of attacks, nor did you originally specify 'significant'.

An attack was attempted within the last four weeks, attacks in the past have had high casualty impact, and there have been many smaller scale attacks since then, one of which we may have seen today, another is the shooting of 9 black people in the USA about a year ago, or the planned parenthood shooting within the last year. All of which can be classed as right wing attacks.

But even if you individually nitpick each one and give me a reason why they might be interpreted as not right wing, there is still a general right wing hatred for immigrants, Muslims, etc and non-fatal attacks on them have been initiated since the refugee crisis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    Breivik wasn't an "attempted attack", he set off a car bomb in central Oslo killing 8 and injuring over 200, then proceeded to Utoya island where he mowed down 69 young Norwegian Labour Party members and injured another 110.

Nothing "attempted" about it
    I was referring to the EU 2016 one. I said that brevik happened if you'd reread what I wrote.

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to the EU 2016 one. I said that brevik happened if you'd reread what I wrote.
    You don't think a terror attack that results in almost 70 deaths is a problem?

ReputationRep:
    Sky News has apparently spoken to a witness who reported the shooter shouted "Britain first"
    Ofc conveniently it was Sky found a witness that would paint a 'leaver' in a bad light.

ReputationRep:
    Those aren't the only attacks, I just listed two because you wanted 'proof', you didn't specify you require a certain frequency of attacks, nor did you originally specify 'significant'.

An attack was attempted within the last four weeks, attacks in the past have had high casualty impact, and there have been many smaller scale attacks since then, one of which we may have seen today, another is the shooting of 9 black people in the USA about a year ago, or the planned parenthood shooting within the last year. All of which can be classed as right wing attacks.

But even if you individually nitpick each one and give me a reason why they might be interpreted as not right wing, there is still a general right wing hatred for immigrants, Muslims, etc and non-fatal attacks on them have been initiated since the refugee crisis.
    I am not doing that, I am asking for proof.

However, what I will say is that the abortion clinic bombings are probably more down to religion than political ideology. However, the shooting in that church is an example of right wing terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    You don't think a terror attack that results in almost 70 deaths is a problem?
    I wrote 1 attack at the start. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    That's some attack to dismiss.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    Ofc conveniently it was Sky found a witness that would paint a 'leaver' in a bad light.
    Why would someone screaming "Britain first" paint leave in a bad light? I would have thought it paints ultra-nationalists and extreme right-wingers in a bad light.

Do you have any evidence that Sky (which is owned by News Corp that also owns the Sun newspaper) was involved in some conspiracy to paint the leave campaign in a bad light? Or is it just your natural paranoia and tendency to conspiracy theory?

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be repeating yourself and getting confused. You said this "one attack" is not a problem. I asked you about it

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be repeating yourself and getting confused. You said this "one attack" is not a problem. I asked you about it
    I said not a significant problem, in that 1 attack is no indication of an endemic problem. Sure, it's a tragedy but It doesn't suggest the extreme right is a significant problem.

Lmao I've seen you do the exact same every time theres some kind of islamist attack
    You clearly missed my point. If there's an Islamist attack, she doesn't blame Islam, but when there's an attack by someone who we aren't even certain is right wing yet, she's the first to connect it to UKIP and Farage

Whereas I blame Islam for Islamist attacks, and UKIP for right wing attacks - so I'm not the one being hypocritical

ReputationRep:
    Why would someone screaming "Britain first" paint leave in a bad light? I would have thought it paints ultra-nationalists and extreme right-wingers in a bad light.

Do you have any evidence that Sky (which is owned by News Corp that also owns the Sun newspaper) was involved in some conspiracy to paint the leave campaign in a bad light? Or is it just your natural paranoia and tendency to conspiracy theory?
    The same News Corp owned by Rupert Murdoch that is affiliated with Cameron personally, and wants to stay in the EU.

Painting UKIP/Britain First as aggressive, racists who attack those who want to remain in the EU certainly makes for an interesting narrative. Apparently the 'witness' who said the attacker shouted 'Britain First' wasn't even there ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I didn't see the Britain First thing until after I made the post.

I still think it will turn out to have been some kind of extremist attack by a far Right fanatic, maybe UKIP isn't in the frame, but time will tell.
    Well yes it is looking like a far right fanatic but smearing UKIP or the vote leave campaign as far right is far wrong

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.