Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    TSR is holding their very own Big EU Referendum Debate.

With only a week to go until the United Kingdom decides on their future in or out of the EU, at TSR we are organising our own debate. And we need YOU to get involved!

When: Monday 20th June @ 7:30PM for approximately 1-1.5 hours

We will be asking for questions from everyone nearer the time on a whole range of topics, so if you have a question you want to ask, or a point of view to put forward- Monday night is your chance.

We are trying to find a number of people to be in a panel, to be answering some questions and debating. Probably 3-5 people per side. If your interested in the referendum, and feel like you would be up for joining the panel, please reply below answering the following questions.

1. Are you available on Monday evening at 7:30?
    2. Give an example of a post that you feel demonstrates your debating skill, and political/ EU knowledge
    3. Do you intend to vote/ if you were to vote, would you vote for stay or leave? [To ensure balanced panel]
    4. Why should we choose you to join the panel?
    Yes, I am available on Monday evening at 7.30 and I will be able to be present at the debate. There isn't an example of my debating skills, but I am always debating with my parents and my friends constantly.I know a lot of EU knowledge as I watch the news daily and I keep up with current affairs on my smartphone. If I intend to vote, I would vote to stay as I think that it is better to stay in European Union rather than regret the consequences if we leave. You should choose me to join the panel as I am quite young - 14 years old - so I can be 'a breath of fresh air', if you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'll debate for remain if needed.

1) probably. There is no 100% in life.

2) the sovereignty argument/democracy is a very poor one, the president of the Commission, the person who sets the EU laws, is directly elected as he is the presidential candidate from the largest EU party grouping, there were even televised Presidential candidate debates before the last election, the commission is they made up of representatives from every other EU country, the Parliment directly elected by us, the people of Europe, and has the power to dissolve the commission and sack the president should they wish to. And then the council is made up of ministers from every EU state. As such the democratic systems of the EU are very much there and as good, if not better, then those of the U.K.

3) I'll be voting to stay.

4) I see things completely differently to the mainstream and can add a new dimension to the debate.
    Love how remainers say the sovereignty argument is poor just because they lost it, same goes for the immigration point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    :rolleyes: my arguments make perfect sense to anyone with a brain...
    More typical remain points, if you don't agree with me you are stupid or wrong. How naive, ignorant, stupid in itself and anti-debate/democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Brexit is the politics of fear, brain is the politics of hope so I think you have that the wrong way round.
    Remain is the Politics of fear too, please wake up.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    Love how remainers say the sovereignty argument is poor just because they lost it, same goes for the immigration point.
    Well clearly not because you couldn't debate it.
    More typical remain points, if you don't agree with me you are stupid or wrong. How naive, ignorant, stupid in itself and anti-debate/democracy.
    K...
    Remain is the Politics of fear too, please wake up.
    I see remain more as hope but there is a fear aspect...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    When will the panel be announced ? adam9317

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    When will the panel be announced ? adam9317
    This evening Hazzer.

I won't be going to sleep until its sorted, so its on me to get it done ASAP
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This evening Hazzer.

I won't be going to sleep until its sorted, so its on me to get it done ASAP
    So we might have it sorted by the end of the year and under new management?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your a funny one
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Though only after holding a vote on whether to go ahead with the debate or not, only to find the whole situation mysteriously ignored.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Your a funny one
    *you're

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OK, 8 people signed up for remain and 10 for leave- we can have a maximum of 4 on the panel for each side, so I will do my best to ensure a balance of knowledge, and also that the left/ right is as equally balanced.

If you don't happen to be chosen, we will be taking questions 'from the audience' throughout the night, so you can equally make a big impact, and question the panellists.

Note: I did see a post where someone said they didn't want the panel to be over run with MHOCers, at most there will be 2 per side; but the panel is appointed on merit!

Adam
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Though only after holding a vote on whether to go ahead with the debate or not, only to find the whole situation mysteriously ignored.
    Sounds like the EU

ReputationRep:
    what's the point of the EU? politics from bureaucracy and not electoral politics? regionality/geography clearly has NOTHING to do with this seeingas there's nothing the EU does which the UK couldn't do independently - so, seriously, what is the point, politically? the only point is purposefully delegating decision making powers to a remote institution that doesn't speak for you but merely its own googly eyed (and failing) vision which really nobody wants but are deferring to because they have your economy on a ball and chain, in their opinion. see what happens when we leave - they'll quickly see that they need us, whether we need them more or less than they need us.

ReputationRep:
    And the remain Panel:
    PetrosAC
    RuWill2001
    Craig1998
    RayApparently

And the panel on the Leave side:
    Cranbrook_aspie
    illegaltobepoor
    foo.mp3
    James813

Let battle commence tomorrow. If you haven't been chosen, don't worry, as the audience you can still get heavily involved, and your questions might even come up in the debate!

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    And the remain Panel:
    PetrosAC
    RuWill2001
    Craig1998
    RayApparently

Cranbrook_aspie
    illegaltobepoor
    foo.mp3
    James813

Let battle commence tomorrow. If you haven't been chosen, don't worry, as the audience you can still get heavily involved, and your questions might even come up in the debate!

Thank you

Will this take place on a new thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Will this take place on a new thread?
    Yes, completely new thread to be created tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    And the remain Panel:
    PetrosAC
    RuWill2001
    Craig1998
    RayApparently

Cranbrook_aspie
    illegaltobepoor
    foo.mp3
    James813

Thank you
    Woah, aiming low. Where am I?

waaaaaAaAaAAAaaaa
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And the remain Panel:
    PetrosAC
    RuWill2001
    Craig1998
    RayApparently

Cranbrook_aspie
    illegaltobepoor
    foo.mp3
    James813

Thank you
    I find it odd that you cite my exclusion as due to the 2 MHoC per team while only having 1 MHoC member on the team and define balanced left-right as 3 lefties and somebody who is difficult to place.

Similarly, for the Remain side you have two greens, a Labourite and a Liberal.

If those are left right balanced then where are you setting the centre point? Is corbyn right wing or only a centrist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I find it odd that you cite my exclusion as due to the 2 MHoC per team while only having 1 MHoC member on the team and define balanced left-right as 3 lefties and somebody who is difficult to place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't even see why the MHoC as relevant; seen as I'm a part of the MHoC, but barely active.

Where do you draw the line?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.