Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a girl and I want to stay at uni but due to culture my Pakistani family won't allow me.
    I've told them so many times that I won't do anything haram.
    What can I do about this?
    My mum has trust issues with me because I hid my phone from her once, but I wasn't doing anything wrong it was just personal.
    Same with me. I'm going to University this september but its not to one that i've desired of going to. Ideally I want to go to one which is about a 45 minute drive but I have to stay even more local? (Like how is that far?) Anyways I would have commuted.
    My parents are quite traditional like that. My brothers all went to Uni's of 3/4 hours distance and stayed there but me, being the only girl in the family, have to stay within 30 minute commute. Which is absolute hell because im doing the course that I don't even want to do for my career.

It is horrible but it wont change. I've tried talking to them soooo many times. I was tempted to just do my firm and insurance myself like I wanted to, but it didn't work out as I was scared of them haha. So now im left with parents who expect way too much of me gradewise, to do something that I dont have my heart set on like I did before.

Sharing your pain sister. My mum also had trust issues with me but im not like other muslims nowadays - I know myself what's right and wrong. And tbh its natural to be protective over your phone😂 i'm like that.

Just try sitting them down and explaining why you want to go far. It's worth a shot (although I didnt bother with it as I already knew the answer and wanted to avoid arguments) but honestly, because of our culture, it aint gonna happen. I'm 19 now and I was hoping that after taking a gap year my parents would be more lenient to me going where I want to, but I'm still wrong. Its either go where they want me to, or dont go to University at all
    Good luck with it all 😘

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx)
    Same with me. I'm going to University this september but its not to one that i've desired of going to. Ideally I want to go to one which is about a 45 minute drive but I have to stay even more local? (Like how is that far?) Anyways I would have commuted.
    My parents are quite traditional like that. My brothers all went to Uni's of 3/4 hours distance and stayed there but me, being the only girl in the family, have to stay within 30 minute commute. Which is absolute hell because im doing the course that I don't even want to do for my career.

It is horrible but it wont change. I've tried talking to them soooo many times. I was tempted to just do my firm and insurance myself like I wanted to, but it didn't work out as I was scared of them haha. So now im left with parents who expect way too much of me gradewise, to do something that I dont have my heart set on like I did before.

Sharing your pain sister. My mum also had trust issues with me but im not like other muslims nowadays - I know myself what's right and wrong. And tbh its natural to be protective over your phone😂 i'm like that.

Just try sitting them down and explaining why you want to go far. It's worth a shot (although I didnt bother with it as I already knew the answer and wanted to avoid arguments) but honestly, because of our culture, it aint gonna happen. I'm 19 now and I was hoping that after taking a gap year my parents would be more lenient to me going where I want to, but I'm still wrong. Its either go where they want me to, or dont go to University at all
    Good luck with it all 😘
    Can't you explain that to them!

I'm sure university is hard enough than having to put yourself through something you don't necessarily have to your heart into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    - White people proverb.
    I'm black babe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Can't you explain that to them!

I'm sure university is hard enough than having to put yourself through something you don't necessarily have to your heart into.
    I do try but they still don't understand! So I dont know what else to do apart from go along with them. Sometimes its easier for me to just go along otherwise it turns into an argument and I get upset - im already doing something that they dont want me to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.