Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I gave a presentation at college, they laughed Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clockwork_orange)
    I've been through that too, I know how it feels. Just try and ignore them as much as you can, keep your head high, remember you're far better than they are.
    The only reason they're doing that to you is because they don't have anything better to do.
    Cheers
    Thanks for the response! Apologies mine is late!

I'm sorry to hear you've been through it too! It truely sucks!
    I'm doing my best but they're very persistent!
    I'll try to! Thankyou! I appreciate that!
    Hmm I suppose not but couldn't they be sorting out their own lives? Instead of making mine miserable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    I understand how you feel, there are no words to describe how horrible it is.
    In year 7,8 and 10 I had this science teacher, he would make us do presentations regularly in front of the class and I always dreaded it. Talking in front of many people was bad enough but I had to put up with the immature ***** who would laugh and make stupid comments.
    In the end I just started to ignored them, wasting my time and energy worrying about it was not worth it
    Thank god that's now over.
    I'm glad you understand what I'm going through!
    That's very true!
    Ah well that's not great then! Presentations are horrible!
    Yes I agree, but I'm sorry to hear that people laughed at you too :hugs:
    I'm sure your presentations were awesome!!!
    That's the best thing to do! You deserve way better people than them!
    Indeed! As am I! You're too nice to be going through that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    That's horrible, I'm sorry. Sending you virtual hugs - I wish I could come and beat up those bullies for you.

The best thing you can do really is to pick yourself and move on. Don't give them the satisfaction of seeing that they succeeded in upsetting you. But, at the same time, please talk to a parent or teacher. They can't be allowed to keep making your life hell.
    It sure is!
    Aww Thankyou!
    Haha I wish you could too!

I'm doing my best to move on but they just keep coming back really. It's not at all nice tbh.
    No I won't do that! They're never gonna win this!
    I can't talk to anyone about it. It will only make things worse I'm afraid.

Thanks for the response, apologies that mine is late!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What I was trying to articulate is that clearly you are superior they are; either become as mediocre as they are or don't let it bother you.

Try to keep a log of what they do and when and present it to your head of sixth form as evidence of bullying. If they don't do anything and the bullying crosses into illegal territory (e.g: harrassment, comments about a protected characteristic such as race, gender or disability) or anything physical (even if they didn't directly touch you) inform the police
    Ah I see! Oh no I don't want to become mediocre!
    I'm doing my hardest to not let it bother me!

Well there's not really much point now tbh, only got 1/2 more days with them. But I would do if I was staying longer. That's a very good idea! Thanks!
    They have been doing physical stuff and mentioning horrible things about people with mental illnesses (I have OCD myself, but they don't know that).
    But I may get in touch with the police to see what they will do!

Apologies for the late response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Sad truth is nothing but move on. Bright side is when you finish your course you'll never see them again :laugh:

One day you'll be their boss so for now just focus on :work:

Pro tip: We're all gonna make it brah! :jumphug:
    I'm afraid that it is true
    I sure hope not! I never want to see any of them ever again!

I'll just fire them immediately! And then hire someone who actually knows what to do!

I like the sound of that! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the advice people are giving here is literally THE worst way to deal with people that you think are 'bullies'.

Most people who take an aggressive attitude towards you probably have problems of their own. If they're being aggressive towards you specifically, it's likely because you're too distant from them. I've seen it happen a million times. Someone gets singled out by the touchy 'bullies' because he/she never talks to them, so they don't feel any kind of connection. I've had it happen to me loads of times, because I just ignored anyone that bothered me even slightly. Yet that experience taught me that honestly, the best way to deal with them is to either talk to them nicely(depending on how nervous they seem), or straight up call them douches and point out how pathetic they are.(if they're the over-confident aggressive arse types) Basically, just face them.

Ignoring them is a terrible idea, because you're going to have to deal with them sometime, especially if you're giving presentations to them. Either put yourself above them or alongside them. Don't try to put yourself on an entirely different pyramid, because like it or not, you have to face them sometime.

Sorry if this sounds over-aggressive, but I just hate seeing people say 'Oh, just ignore them! Then they won't bother you!'. If you have to work with them, you don't want them not to bother you. You might need their input sometime. You just want them to bother you in a constructive manner.

(Oh, and I just noticed you're about to leave them anyway. But anyway, uh... if you get in a situation like this again, then really; just face up to them. If they're the ones neglecting to contribute to society by being douches, then there's no reason for you to feel nervous about facing them. You're better than them)

(Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Yesterday as part of my course, I had to give a presentation at college in front of my bullies.
    Now I don't have much confidence and I was shaking before I had to go up and give mine (everyone had to do one).
    Now theirs went fine, mine went well in my head, until they laughed at me
    It hurt me so much that they would do this seeing as they know I don't have any confidence.
    I'm just so hurt by this.
    What can I do?
    Thanks
    I've had horror shows in the past, move on you've done the right thing expressing it to tsr because after I told some people about mine it was much better

ReputationRep:
    Its just so hard to do it! Its been going on for 6 months now.

Hmm i suppose it is! I defo dont want to give them what they want!!
    Ill do my best to do that!!
    Well id like to think their lives are crap tbh!

Ive no friend to tell and no one else will listen to me
    Unless the bullies find out!
    I express myself openly here as its the only place i feel comfortable with tbh!

It did help! Thanks!
    Don't worry, just believe in yourself more. And you've got all of us to talk to
    and No problem and remember - What u think of ur self is much more important than what others think of u!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    Wow, the advice people are giving here is literally THE worst way to deal with people that you think are 'bullies'.

Most people who take an aggressive attitude towards you probably have problems of their own. If they're being aggressive towards you specifically, it's likely because you're too distant from them. I've seen it happen a million times. Someone gets singled out by the touchy 'bullies' because he/she never talks to them, so they don't feel any kind of connection. I've had it happen to me loads of times, because I just ignored anyone that bothered me even slightly. Yet that experience taught me that honestly, the best way to deal with them is to either talk to them nicely(depending on how nervous they seem), or straight up call them douches and point out how pathetic they are.(if they're the over-confident aggressive arse types) Basically, just face them.

Ignoring them is a terrible idea, because you're going to have to deal with them sometime, especially if you're giving presentations to them. Either put yourself above them or alongside them. Don't try to put yourself on an entirely different pyramid, because like it or not, you have to face them sometime.

Sorry if this sounds over-aggressive, but I just hate seeing people say 'Oh, just ignore them! Then they won't bother you!'. If you have to work with them, you don't want them not to bother you. You might need their input sometime. You just want them to bother you in a constructive manner.

(Oh, and I just noticed you're about to leave them anyway. But anyway, uh... if you get in a situation like this again, then really; just face up to them. If they're the ones neglecting to contribute to society by being douches, then there's no reason for you to feel nervous about facing them. You're better than them)
    This is the biggest load of bull**** I've ever read. Scientific studies have proven time and time again bullies choose their targets carefully, if you have any sort of 'weakness' (such as a disability, or are a different race, or some other unusual physical feature) and have a low popularity, you are an 'easy' target to them and that is why they choose you. Nothing to with wanting to interact or any of this other nonsense

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see! Oh no I don't want to become mediocre!
    I'm doing my hardest to not let it bother me!

Well there's not really much point now tbh, only got 1/2 more days with them. But I would do if I was staying longer. That's a very good idea! Thanks!
    They have been doing physical stuff and mentioning horrible things about people with mental illnesses (I have OCD myself, but they don't know that).
    But I may get in touch with the police to see what they will do!

Apologies for the late response!
    What kind of physical stuff? :/ If they're over the age of 16 they get tried as adults and depending on what it is it could be classified as assault.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of physical stuff? :/ If they're over the age of 16 they get tried as adults and depending on what it is it could be classified as assault.
    Well just genetal touching me. They also try to get their hands in my pants!!!!! I have nightmares about that now! I camt get it out of my mind!
    Theyre all 18+

ReputationRep:
    Well just genetal touching me. They also try to get their hands in my pants!!!!! I have nightmares about that now! I camt get it out of my mind!
    Theyre all 18+
    They are touching your genitals? :O :O

Please tell the police ASAP, that isn't bullying, it's sexual assault.

This is very serious, do it now!

ReputationRep:
    They are touching your genitals? :O :O

Please tell the police ASAP, that isn't bullying, it's sexual assault.

This is very serious, do it now!
    Well theyve tried to! They do it to each others so they try to do it with me too! They no i dont want them to!

I guess i will!

It is serious, ill see what happens!

ReputationRep:
    Theyre all 18+
    Uh yeah, that's called sexual assault. That goes way above 'bullying'. I figured you just meant that they were excluding you and being a bit aggressive towards you, but that sounds like actual assault. You should most definitely report them. Ignoring them is definitely a bad idea in this case, because they need to be tried as criminals, and by ignoring them, you'll just be enabling them to keep doing what they're doing to other people.

I do acknowledge that my suggestion for confronting them might be a bit inappropriate for you though, after thinking about it. I don't know what kind of person you are. Personally, I don't have much difficulty confronting people that try to mess with me. I've dealt with too many of them to just ignore them at this point, and I have a lot of experience with dealing with them. But you might have different circumstances. Regardless though, you do need to report them to the police if they're assaulting you.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this isn't helpful, but I used to be scared of public speaking.

So I joined the public speaking club and now run it. Then when it came to speaking or presenting in lesson, I was confident, and if anyone laughed at me I simply felt nothing towards them. So if you have the opportunity to do that, I'd seriously recommend it. I think it probably helps because when you are debating with someone, their entire purpose is to try to dissect everything you say, so when you present to a class you know how to handle this anxiety.

May I ask out of interest what you gave a presentation on? I'm sure it was great.

Wish you luck in future endeavours, OP.

Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    Learn to not care, and if someone comes at you then fight back. This is the only long term solution there is. No whining or complaining or feeling bad will make a jot of difference.

The world is full of bullies. They will never go away, until you learn to compartmentalise your worries, and to fight back if needed. Toughen up or die.

ReputationRep:
    Well theyve tried to! They do it to each others so they try to do it with me too! They no i dont want them to!

I guess i will!

It is serious, ill see what happens!
    If they know you don't like it but do it anyway that is 100% wrong.

I cannot express well enough over the internet how serious this is but it is criminal what they've been doing

If you've been having nightmares about it it's possible you have a form of PTSD, I would recommend counselling or something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    Uh yeah, that's called sexual assault. That goes way above 'bullying'. I figured you just meant that they were excluding you and being a bit aggressive towards you, but that sounds like actual assault. You should most definitely report them. Ignoring them is definitely a bad idea in this case, because they need to be tried as criminals, and by ignoring them, you'll just be enabling them to keep doing what they're doing to other people.

I do acknowledge that my suggestion for confronting them might be a bit inappropriate for you though, after thinking about it. I don't know what kind of person you are. Personally, I don't have much difficulty confronting people that try to mess with me. I've dealt with too many of them to just ignore them at this point, and I have a lot of experience with dealing with them. But you might have different circumstances. Regardless though, you do need to report them to the police if they're assaulting you.
    Are you off your rocks? The amount of 'genital touching' I have seen, suffered or inflicted on other boys should have landed all of us in lifetime prison, if sensitive people like you were taken seriously.

OP, it's just something boys do. Usually it starts off as an underhanded tactic in brawls and then escalates. You probably just weren't there when it all began. Don't worry about it. Fight back if they do it ☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    Are you off your rocks? The amount of 'genital touching' I have seen, suffered or inflicted on other boys should have landed all of us in lifetime prison, if sensitive people like you were taken seriously.

OP, it's just something boys do. Usually it starts off as an underhanded tactic in brawls and then escalates. You probably just weren't there when it all began. Don't worry about it. Fight back if they do it ☺
    WTF?? Are you telling me this is normal behavior amongst men? No, I'm sorry, I don't buy it, I've had loads of male friends, they don't pull weird s*** like this. Touching their own genitals? Yeah, sure, it has happened rarely, but touching another boys genitals? Wtf is wrong with them?

ReputationRep:
    WTF?? Are you telling me this is normal behavior amongst men? No, I'm sorry, I don't buy it, I've had loads of male friends, they don't pull weird s*** like this. Touching their own genitals? Yeah, sure, it has happened rarely, but touching another boys genitals? Wtf is wrong with them?
    This isnt normal behaviour at all!
    Ive been around boys my whole life and have never experienced this before!
    I agree with you!
    The other guy is talking ****!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.