OCR 21st Century Science Physics P4 P5 P6 *Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016* Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    I'm too sure here are more points for the P5 6 marker:
    - increasing the number of pathways means the current gets shared, and therefore it is less in each wire
    - this therefore reduces the resistance
    - she could improve by using a wider range and more intervals to help get a clear trend
    - she could use a different set of wires (not sure about this one)

For the P6 six marker, that's all the points I got for why her worries were unfounded of.
    Thank you! I knew I mentioned pathways somewhere!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    Your answer for that question was correct
    Oh good thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Elmo)
    Anyone else give their answer to the nuclear energy question in standard form? I put 4.5x10^9 but i guess it should be okay
    I did

(Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Oh, there was also a question about how high level waste is dealt with. Does anyone know where that was?
    I think that one was quite near the end

I put mine in standard form too, but I got the wrong answer (I somehow wound up with 4.5x10²⁵!! )
    You must have used 5.0x10^8 rather than 5.0x10^-8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FIIIRRRE285)
    Did I read the graph incorrectly because wasn't the average speed 150/20 which is 7.5 m/s?
    it was 130/20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FIIIRRRE285)
    Did I read the graph incorrectly because wasn't the average speed 150/20 which is 7.5 m/s?
    No because even though the axis went up to 150, the line only went up to 130, so it was 130/20 = 6.5

Did anyone else wonder how Sarah could even get a reading in her resistance meter without a battery in the circuit??
    That's exactly what I thought when I looked at it! I read the question and I was thinking well actually, Sarah wouldn't have got any readings from anything without a power source in the circuit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11207ymir)
    I think the first 2are wron as you do 5*4= 20
    And for the second one I got 10j
    Im pretty sure it was 5×4=20 but the empty box weighed 2N so it would make 22N
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ben.M)
    I think that one was quite near the end

You must have used 5.0x10^8 rather than 5.0x10^-8
    Yeah, I've just put it at the end of the mark scheme.

Argh!! My calculator is now 5 years old and so some of the keys are a bit dodgy and don't press - I KNEW it would mess me up in at least one exam!!
    (Original post by Ben.M)
    That's exactly what I thought when I looked at it! I read the question and I was thinking well actually, Sarah wouldn't have got any readings from anything without a power source in the circuit
    Yeah my friends thought it too! One of them actually wrote putting a battery in as one of the improvements she could make haha - it did confuse me a bit but then I just ignored it

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else wonder how Sarah could even get a reading in her resistance meter without a battery in the circuit??
    Hey sorry this isn't related to that question but I'm kind of thinking worse case scenario here, If I got a low B in p123 and in p456, but an average A* in coursework, whats the best grade I could get?
    (bearing in mind I still have p7 to go)
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    At first I put 22N for the first question but isnt force mass x acceleration which on Earth can be assumed to be 10m/s^2 so isnt it 220N? so annoyed with myself on some of the stupid mistakes I made
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by megannlong)
    At first I put 22N for the first question but isnt force mass x acceleration which on Earth can be assumed to be 10m/s^2 so isnt it 220N? so annoyed with myself on some of the stupid mistakes I made
    Weight is the force, which was already given in newtons. We weren't given mass, just weight

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've just put it at the end of the mark scheme.

Argh!! My calculator is now 5 years old and so some of the keys are a bit dodgy and don't press - I KNEW it would mess me up in at least one exam!!

Yeah my friends thought it too! One of them actually wrote putting a battery in as one of the improvements she could make haha - it did confuse me a bit but then I just ignored it
    I feared my calculator might do something wrong so I just thought laws of indices - Multiplying means add the powers so (-8) + 16 so I knew the power should be about 8.

Ahaha that's the best improvement, but I'm not sure that'll be in the mark scheme. That may not be the answer they were looking for
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by g3ob)
    Hey sorry this isn't related to that question but I'm kind of thinking worse case scenario here, If I got a low B in p123 and in p456, but an average A* in coursework, whats the best grade I could get?
    (bearing in mind I still have p7 to go)
    Thanks!
    Probably an A, depending on how you score in P7. Coursework is only 25% and each exam is also 25%, so if 50% is a B and 25% is an A* you're looking at a low A really, but it all depends on how well you do in P7
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ben.M)
    I feared my calculator might do something wrong so I just thought laws of indices - Multiplying means add the powers so (-8) + 16 so I knew the power should be about 8.

Ahaha that's the best improvement, but I'm not sure that'll be in the mark scheme. That may not be the answer they were looking for
    I know, admittedly I should have checked it, but I was too busy memorising my answers in the last 8 minutes to make this thing!

And I am absolutely hopeless at standard form apparently - I got it wrong in my mock, I got it wrong in the non calc maths paper and here I've gone and got it wrong again! 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    I know, admittedly I should have checked it, but I was too busy memorising my answers in the last 8 minutes to make this thing!

And I am absolutely hopeless at standard form apparently - I got it wrong in my mock, I got it wrong in the non calc maths paper and here I've gone and got it wrong again! 😂😂
    I did wonder how you remembered so much to make this, I forget most of the answers until someone posts something that reminds me.

Oh dear you have found a weak area!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by florahill)
    Can someone explain how you work out the speed question (with the mass and weight), I spent ages on it and ended up guessing 1.8 for some reason
    Gravitational potential energy at the top = kinetic energy at the bottom
    So whatever numbers we were given (I don't remember them), you had to work out the GPE from them I think, then you also had kinetic energy.
    Kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x velocity². So kinetic energy x 2 = mass x velocity².
    You were given the mass, so (kinetic energy x 2) / mass = velocity²
    So the answer would have been the square root of (kinetic energy x 2) / mass

That probably made no sense - I can't remember the numbers given, sorry!
    Change in GPE = Weight x Vertical Height Difference

You were given a 1.5m high shelf, a box with a mass of 3.2kg and a weight of 32N

So the GPE was 32 x 1.5, which equals 48

2KE/Mass = Velocity^2

48 x 2 = 96 so 96/3.2 = 30

Square root of 30 rounded to 5.5 for 2 d.p.

That's how I did it, not sure if it's right
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ben.M)
    I did wonder how you remembered so much to make this, I forget most of the answers until someone posts something that reminds me.

Oh dear you have found a weak area!
    Haha yeah normally I'm the same - but I knew I was confident enough with my answers to make one, so got cocky and didn't check properly.

Wow don't make it sound like I'm some genius or something!! I have many weak areas...just not really in P456
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ben.M)
    Change in GPE = Weight x Vertical Height Difference

You were given a 1.5m high shelf, a box with a mass of 3.2kg and a weight of 32N

So the GPE was 32 x 1.5, which equals 48

2KE/Mass = Velocity^2

48 x 2 = 96 so 96/3.2 = 30

Square root of 30 rounded to 5.5 for 2 d.p.

That's how I did it, not sure if it's right
    Looks good to me - that's what I would've done if I read the question properly and used the right numbers

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah normally I'm the same - but I knew I was confident enough with my answers to make one, so got cocky and didn't check properly.

Wow don't make it sound like I'm some genius or something!! I have many weak areas...just not really in P456
    Key lesson don't get too confident! That's what I meant, your weaknesses don't lie in this exam content.

Looks good to me - that's what I would've done if I read the question properly and used the right numbers
    Oh dear, so did you not read it properly and use the right numbers?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ben.M)
    Key lesson don't get too confident! That's what I meant, your weaknesses don't lie in this exam content.

Oh dear, so did you not read it properly and use the right numbers?
    I know...but I never learn. I did it in maths ages ago and stopped revising - safe to say my marks went down a far bit. Soon stopped that haha. Oh I see, yeah I guess so

I think I was trying to do it quickly (as I didn't want to run out of time like I did in chemistry) so I just skim read the question. For some reason I thought it was the same box from the other question part, so used 11 as the GPE and KE I ended up getting 2.622m/s as my answer - which, if the GPE was 11, would have been the right answer annoyingly. Hopefully I'll get a method mark though

ReputationRep:
    I know...but I never learn. I did it in maths ages ago and stopped revising - safe to say my marks went down a far bit. Soon stopped that haha. Oh I see, yeah I guess so

I think I was trying to do it quickly (as I didn't want to run out of time like I did in chemistry) so I just skim read the question. For some reason I thought it was the same box from the other question part, so used 11 as the GPE and KE I ended up getting 2.622m/s as my answer - which, if the GPE was 11, would have been the right answer annoyingly. Hopefully I'll get a method mark though
    Well after that it seems you did learn

Well it was the right method at least, so you might get some marks for that, hopefully

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.