Ask the Speaker II

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    The way forward to me seems pretty obvious, carry on as if we are in the EU and nothing has changed, then have a Great Repeal or w/e it's called when we actually leave the EU in real life and start afresh from there. It would get too complicated to carry on pretending we're in the EU once we're actually out.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I'm going to invoke the famous Article 50, who knows…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    You'd better wait until October to do it though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Statement on the MHoC and the European Union
    Following the vote to leave the EU in RL last Thursday, I feel it would be helpful to attempt to clarify the situation in the MHoC.

– A referendum was held at the end of the 21st Parliament, in which the TSR electorate voted to remain in the EU – a continuation of the (then) status quo. Under the provisions of the Guidance Document, this result is binding until the end of the current (23rd) Parliament.

– Regardless of what happens in RL, a decision has been taken on TSR and that decision will stand until any further in-game changes. Basically the status of TSR in the EU will be as it is now, including the provisions of the First Canon Amendment, which allows the MHoC to overrule EU law on individual issues.

– The current situation will continue into Parliament 24 and beyond, the only change being that it will be possible to propose a bill or referendum proposing changes to TSRland's relationship with the EU.

– Were, in the future, TSRland to leave the EU and later rejoin, Canon would not be in effect (in leaving and rejoining a decision will have been taken on TSR to change the status quo) and thus the First Canon Amendment would no longer apply: EU law would not be able to be overruled without the passing of a new amendment.
    It's regards to the binding nature of the referendum I belive a previous speaker had decided due to how late teh referendum was it would be binding until the end of the 24th because the referendum ended the 21st so it didn't make sense to include it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It's regards to the binding nature of the referendum I belive a previous speaker had decided due to how late teh referendum was it would be binding until the end of the 24th because the referendum ended the 21st so it didn't make sense to include it.
    If you can dig such a ruling out then that ruling will stand, if not I will go with the text of the GD.

ReputationRep:
    If you can dig such a ruling out then that ruling will stand, if not I will go with the text of the GD.
    If there is an amendment passed to say all referenda will be binding but if a real life referendum takes place after the TSR referendum, the result of the real life referendum will be used, would that change the status of TSR in the EU?

ReputationRep:
    Statement on the MHoC and the European Union

Following the vote to leave the EU in RL last Thursday, I feel it would be helpful to attempt to clarify the situation in the MHoC.

– A referendum was held at the end of the 21st Parliament, in which the TSR electorate voted to remain in the EU – a continuation of the (then) status quo. Under the provisions of the Guidance Document, this result is binding until the end of the current (23rd) Parliament.

– Regardless of what happens in RL, a decision has been taken on TSR and that decision will stand until any further in-game changes. Basically the status of TSR in the EU will be as it is now, including the provisions of the First Canon Amendment, which allows the MHoC to overrule EU law on individual issues.

– The current situation will continue into Parliament 24 and beyond, the only change being that it will be possible to propose a bill or referendum proposing changes to TSRland's relationship with the EU.

– Were, in the future, TSRland to leave the EU and later rejoin, Canon would not be in effect (in leaving and rejoining a decision will have been taken on TSR to change the status quo) and thus the First Canon Amendment would no longer apply: EU law would not be able to be overruled without the passing of a new amendment.
    Breaking news: Speaker States the obvious, except one major flaw is the assertion we ARE in into the 24th, and from next term until we leave or there is a great repeal in force any chancellor putting forward a budget will have a fun time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    It'd probably save us some trouble.

It'd be even more fun if the MEU was still going strong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It'd probably save us some trouble.

It'd be even more fun if the MEU was still going strong actually doing anything.
    Corrected for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Corrected for you
    How long until the 2 weeks since last post ticks over to 3?

So epic that even those who want to get it going aren't trying to get it going (wish I could tag them in)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Corrected for you
    Oh yeah... In a moment of brain-fade I though it was the MEU, rather than the MUN, that had been closed down and replaced. That's telling...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How long until the 2 weeks since last post ticks over to 3?

So epic that even those who want to get it going aren't trying to get it going (wish I could tag them in)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All depends if that spambot that offers the services of a witch doctor posts again.

(Original post by RayApparently)
    Oh yeah... In a moment of brain-fade I though it was the MEU, rather than the MUN, that had been closed down and replaced. That's telling...
    :lol: Well to be fair, the MEU hasn't been closed down .... yet

ReputationRep:
    Meh.. I got us out of CAP anyway and if i have my way, we'll be out of annoying bits of the ECHR too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    If there is an amendment passed to say all referenda will be binding but if a real life referendum takes place after the TSR referendum, the result of the real life referendum will be used, would that change the status of TSR in the EU?
    That would make a total mess of the Canon Amendment and introduce situations where RL law became supreme to TSR law, so I suggest you think it through properly. I would suggest that a referendum held under certain rules would remain governed by the rules in place at the time it was held however.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Breaking news: Speaker States the obvious, except one major flaw is the assertion we ARE in into the 24th, and from next term until we leave or there is a great repeal in force any chancellor putting forward a budget will have a fun time
    Best the Speaker state the obvious than a question or disagreement pop up somewhere down the line, but where do I assert we are into the 24th? I only reference it once, when referring to the current situation continuing into next term.

The situation for a Chancellor would be the reverse to us having voted remain in RL but having left on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    That would make a total mess of the Canon Amendment and introduce situations where RL law became supreme to TSR law, so I suggest you think it through properly. I would suggest that a referendum held under certain rules would remain governed by the rules in place at the time it was held however.

Best the Speaker state the obvious than a question or disagreement pop up somewhere down the line, but where do I assert we are into the 24th? I only reference it once, when referring to the current situation continuing into next term.

The situation for a Chancellor would be the reverse to us having voted remain in RL but having left on TSR.
    You missed an "in" in your question, hardly surprising given a tendency of the brain to remove repeated words

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, what would you say to an amendment specifically to ignore the result of the TSR EU referendum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Mr Speaker, what would you say to an amendment specifically to ignore the result of the TSR EU referendum?
    All acts of parliament can be repealed by a simple majority. I believe the stipulation for the result to be honoured was contained in the bill itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    All acts of parliament can be repealed by a simple majority. I believe the stipulation for the result to be honoured was contained in the bill itself.
    Unfortunately this would be a case of an Amendment - it is clear the MHoC constitution is different from the RL one.

ReputationRep:
    Turns out it was just Toronto however this was when he was acting as speaker for Ray due to exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Turns out it was just Toronto however this was when he was acting as speaker for Ray due to exams.
    It doesn't seem like a definitive statement, it looks like someone was just pushing the decision further down the road.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.