It does involve wearing pink spandex :rolleyes:

Still maybe it can start a whole new trend in fashion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    You're a guy ... I'm a guy ... a handshake will do
    *gets back to hugging trees*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    To pander to the upper and middle classes, Labour seems to be suggesting that choice in education is a good thing. Now, you expect the Tories to go down the pro-choice, elitist route, but not Labour!
    Something needs to be done to the education system that is clear. I watched a detailed program on the proposals and I don't think that on there own they will make a difference. However in cirtain areas they may make a positive difference. I think there also have to be a lot more schemes like mentoring.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why labour doesn't work is because they are the wrong shade of red! they should add more white!

Labour 4 Pink

ReputationRep:
    The Labour proposals in reality don't make a lot of difference; they're just packaging it up for votes. In general, thankfully, they still believe in providing a good state education (unlike the Tories who want to create a two tiered system of education - private schools or high end schools for the rich, whatever is left for the poor). The problem is tho, further down the line, with the type of language and thinking being used, like using business-speak when describing education and health, we may go down the side of creating a system whereby money gets you everything and a lack of money gets you nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    The reason why labour doesn't work is because they are the wrong shade of red! they should add more white!
    (Original post by shiny)
    Labour 4 Pink

LOL

I dislike Labour and Tony Blair greatly they always seem to lie :mad:

ReputationRep:
    The Labour proposals in reality don't make a lot of difference; they're just packaging it up for votes. In general, thankfully, they still believe in providing a good state education (unlike the Tories who want to create a two tiered system of education - private schools or high end schools for the rich, whatever is left for the poor). .
    oh, i must have missed that part..
    i think it alot more sensible if you discussed the policies and ideology of both parties in a credible manner rather than some ambiguous nonsense based on class warfare. this is why politics in the UK suffers.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise for spamming this thread

However since some of my trash talk it has now integrated itself into the discussion I had better not remove it.

Sorry UKLers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i think it alot more sensible if you discussed the policies and ideology of both parties in a credible manner rather than some ambiguous nonsense based on class warfare. this is why politics in the UK suffers.
    But equality is somthing I think is essential in society. Unfortunately we still live in a society dogged with class and social inequality.

ReputationRep:
    But equality is somthing I think is essential in society. Unfortunately we still live in a society dogged with class and social inequality.
    but its not always at the forefront of every political decision.

ReputationRep:
    Many of the tories policies do benefit the more wealthy. This is just because of the nature of their politics. They are a more rightwing more capatalist parties. This means that many of their policies are likely to have different effects of the rich and the poor. In the case of education under the tories the state education system would be likely to suffer. I read I think it may have even been on their website that they intend to cut £18 billion pounds of public spending. Now this will hit health care. The people who suffer from poor public heath care are those with less money, who can't afford private heathcare. Therefore it is likely that the tories education policy will have a detrimental effect on the "poor" and less of an effect on the wealthy who can afford private education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Many of the tories policies do benefit the more wealthy. This is just because of the nature of their politics. They are a more rightwing more capatalist parties. This means that many of their policies are likely to have different effects of the rich and the poor. In the case of education under the tories the state education system would be likely to suffer. I read I think it may have even been on their website that they intend to cut £18 billion pounds of public spending. Now this will hit health care. The people who suffer from poor public heath care are those with less money, who can't afford private heathcare. Therefore it is likely that the tories education policy will have a detrimental effect on the "poor" and less of an effect on the wealthy who can afford private education.
    they're taking the money from the public sector and spending it on the private sector so the people would still get a health service. the same with education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by operato)
    they're taking the money from the public sector and spending it on the private sector so the people would still get a health service. the same with education.
    In what way are they proposing to do that ? Through PPPs perhaps ? Unfortunately people wouldn't still get the same health and education levels, and just to add my 2 cents about the HE debate and choice, does nobody else feel that education is a right and not a privilage ?

By Labour making it easier for more people to go to University they are providing a service to the labour economy in the LT. One does not attend University to study "Micky Mouse" subjects (not a phrase i'm fond of nyway - of course some subjects are easier than others, but who can say why someone should not study it at an advanced level at Uni?), but one goes to Uni to learn transferrable skills, like time-management, maturity, the arts of research and study and many other things.

If said transferrable skills are then used in the labour market, then the potential for "structural unemployment" decreases, and as a possible direct result (since new graduates will earn more than they previously would've for advocates of Say's Law), the prospect of future "demand defficient" unemployment also falls.

And anyway, these are all bonuses to the main point. One should never be denied the access to higher education they crave if they are considered able to cope with the pressures and rigours of such an education. So if someone did indeed get DDE at A-Level, then they have proved that they can cope with academic rigour, albeit not so well as someone who got AAA, and as such they should be entitled to go to University. Everybody wants to, and should be allowed to, better themselves, and if increased access is a way to better people, then i for one am all for it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    so the rise in jobs at graduate level would be in proportion to the number of graduates coming out of uni? even if there is no noticeable skill difference?
    As the white paper I linked to a few posts back (http://www.dfes.gov.uk/hegateway/str...y/expand.shtml ) says:

Forecasts by the Institute for Employment Research show that between 1999 and 2010 the number of jobs in higher level occupations – the ones most likely to be filled by those who have been through higher education – will grow by over one and a half million.28 That represents 80 per cent of new jobs over the decade. Almost half of these jobs will be at the associate professional and higher technician level – best served through effective work-focused programmes.
    Growth in the job market is in graduate level and foundation degree graduate level jobs - which is why making sure the labour to supply that job market is available within the UK makes sense...otherwise those jobs will simply be filled by similarly qualified people in other countries and the UK will end up with fewer and fewer jobs at any level....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    In what way are they proposing to do that ? Through PPPs perhaps ? Unfortunately people wouldn't still get the same health and education levels, and just to add my 2 cents about the HE debate and choice, does nobody else feel that education is a right and not a privilage ?

By Labour making it easier for more people to go to University they are providing a service to the labour economy in the LT. One does not attend University to study "Micky Mouse" subjects (not a phrase i'm fond of nyway - of course some subjects are easier than others, but who can say why someone should not study it at an advanced level at Uni?), but one goes to Uni to learn transferrable skills, like time-management, maturity, the arts of research and study and many other things.

And anyway, these are all bonuses to the main point. One should never be denied the access to higher education they crave if they are considered able to cope with the pressures and rigours of such an education. So if someone did indeed get DDE at A-Level, then they have proved that they can cope with academic rigour, albeit not so well as someone who got AAA, and as such they should be entitled to go to University. Everybody wants to, and should be allowed to, better themselves, and if increased access is a way to better people, then i for one am all for it.
    passport system where money follows the student. usually at the same cost of a public state school.

mickey mouse subjects that does not further humanity in forms of science, etc should not be allowed to be studied at universities. reserve for academic subjects.

grades do not reflect on the capability of a person. people may have poor examination technique but are great at their subjects.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.