Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR's Big EU Referendum- Audience Discussion @19:30 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    How does he literally have one argument? His post is clearly structured into a number of different points? And he also didn't call his own arguments "*******s"...

Perhaps if you can clarify your response to his points into something a little more structured and less vague?
    Admits that the 3.5m jobs aren't to be lost, FTA=/=Free movement, and we have no say in the regulations for most of our exports, just like with the vast majority of exports around the world so it's somewhat mooted. As we like to say, when are we going to push for political Union with America and China to get a say on our exports to those countries?

All the arguments are very easy to push aside, even if we accept all three statements given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Admits that the 3.5m jobs aren't to be lost, FTA=/=Free movement, and we have no say in the regulations for most of our exports, just like with the vast majority of exports around the world so it's somewhat mooted. As we like to say, when are we going to push for political Union with America and China to get a say on our exports to those countries?

All the arguments are very easy to push aside, even if we accept all three statements given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, but even Michael Gove admitted that jobs would be lost and people have a right to know that there is that risk.

It is very very very unlikely that we'll get a FTA with the EU that doesn't include Free movement.

The fact is, we'll be leaving a union where we have a say to being in the exact same situation but economically weaker and with absolutely no say.

You have to provide an alternative to the status quo, and the Leave campaign have not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    No, but even Michael Gove admitted that jobs would be lost and people have a right to know that there is that risk.

It is very very very unlikely that we'll get a FTA with the EU that doesn't include Free movement.

The fact is, we'll be leaving a union where we have a say to being in the exact same situation but economically weaker and with absolutely no say.

You have to provide an alternative to the status quo, and the Leave campaign have not.
    Pray tell why it's practically impossible to have no free movement and a FTA, many places have them both inside and outside Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Pray tell why it's practically impossible to have no free movement and a FTA, many places have them both inside and outside Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because it's vital to many EU countries.

You're still not offering an alternative though. Respond to all my points Jammy, or do you just concede on them?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Because it's vital to many EU countries.

You're still not offering an alternative though. Respond to all my points Jammy, or do you just concede on them?
    There are a lot of alternatives, in fact the vast majority of countries with trade agreements with the EU do not have free movement

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    There are a lot of alternatives, in fact the vast majority of countries with trade agreements with the EU do not have free movement

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even if we negotiate a trade agreement without freedom of movement, our small businesses face tariffs which will mean them struggling and not making as much money as they would inside the EU.

It's still far more likely that we will try to re-enter the single market though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do you think it would be likely to be a good thing or a bad thing if property prices fell?
    By how much, over what period, and across the board or differentially by region?

The reality is it will make it much harder for many of them
    How so?

very few people, really, young or old, want house prices to tumble
    Don't remember using the term "tumble" :confused:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Osborne has predicted a drop of 18%

Do you think the Leave side are failing to highlight any potentially negatives to Remaining?
    Way to completely ignore my point :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Some of them, yes, others (like myself) demonstrably accept there will be a short-term price to pay

would you not be shocked if the government were not highlighting significant potential negatives to voting Leave?
    Yup, but my points still stand e.g. that's only a quarter of the picture, and you'd do well to acknowledge this

senior MPs are on the Leave team, I think it's on them to make their own case
    Do you know what an MP is?

I would be stunned to find the government not looking at the implications of a Leave vote and making contingency plans, but that doesn't mean they need to share everything they do
    1) Dodgy Dave and Creepy Osborne have intimated that there are no considered contingencies, we've just been threatened with a vague 'emergency budget'; 2) They don't need to share everything they do but if they're concerned about minimising fallout in the very real prospect of #Brexit then the responsible thing to do is to reassure the markets vs. purely concerned with their own political survival and pushing the failed EU project on the people, potentially for another generation or more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    By how much, over what period, and across the board or differentially by region?
    Well, let's start with the figure that you quoted, along with "Yes please!"

[QUOTE]How so?[?QUOTE]

Insecurity over house prices tends historically to cause general instability in the economy. Instability in the economy tends to lead to job cuts, or at the least a loss of expansion and less job creation.

Don't remember using the term "tumble" :confused:
    No, but many people would call an 18% drop in the value of their house a tumble. It's not a little dip.

Way to completely ignore my point :yy:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yup, but my points still stand e.g. that's only a quarter of the picture, and you'd do well to acknowledge this
    But this is a quarter of the picture that the Leave side are intent on shooting down with a pithy cry of "Project Fear!"

Do you know what an MP is?
    Yes, thanks for asking. Do you have a point? If so, perhaps make it instead of being obtuse.

1) Dodgy Dave and Creepy Osborne have intimated that there are no considered contingencies, we've just been threatened with a vague 'emergency budget'; 2) They don't need to share everything they do but if they're concerned about minimising fallout in the very real prospect of #Brexit then the responsible thing to do is to reassure the markets vs. purely concerned with their own political survival and pushing the failed EU project on the people, potentially for another generation or more
    That is what you might think, I would disagree. Neither of us have expert advice at our disposal on how best to manage economic instability. The point is I would be shocked if they haven't made serious contingency plans.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Even if we negotiate a trade agreement without freedom of movement, our small businesses face tariffs which will mean them struggling and not making as much money as they would inside the EU.

It's still far more likely that we will try to re-enter the single market though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean the small businesses that very nearly all operate in the domestic market alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You mean the small businesses that very nearly all operate in the domestic market alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The same small businesses that when last polled said 47% Remain, 41% Leave, 11% undecided? (FSB)

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's start with the figure that you quoted, along with "Yes please!"
    Ok, so assuming say 20% drop in London and SE, 15% elsewhere, over the course of 6-18 months, this will have an impact on the financial sector but: 1) It should cope; 2) If it can't, well then it hasn't a cat in hell's chance of coping with what's coming when the Eurozone collapses (whether we're in or out, and especially if we remain). Expect most of the non-house owning population would love to see a 5-20% reduction in house prices

Insecurity over house prices tends historically to cause general instability in the economy. Instability in the economy tends to lead to job cuts, or at the least a loss of expansion and less job creation
    True, but you can't have a bubble growing forever, and prices in certain parts of the country have strayed significantly, once more, from the fundamentals (supply and demand) e.g. on the back of eternally cheap credit. Sooner or later there has to be a correction and as the 'end of boom and bust' experience with New Labour's crafty cretin Gordon Brown demonstrated, it's better to deflate a bloated system sooner rather than later, and in a staggered way, than with a single, highly precipitous hit that presents an existential threat to the entire capitalistic system!

No, but many people would call an 18% drop in the value of their house a tumble. It's not a little dip
    If it’s immediate then yes. If phased e.g. 6% per year over the course of 3 years, perhaps not so much

But this is a quarter of the picture that the Leave side are intent on shooting down with a pithy cry of "Project Fear!"
    Depends entirely upon what the proposition is (see my candid and considered analysis FYR)

Yes, thanks for asking. Do you have a point?
    Yup. Keen to know what their job description/necessary level of training and expertise is vs. what you appear to be insinuating

I would be shocked if they haven't made serious contingency plans
    Me too, but the way those two have (mis)handled this whole affair I dread to think.. :erm:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jneill)
    The same small businesses that when last polled said 47% Remain, 41% Leave, 11% undecided? (FSB)
    Not the ones remain claims are still 90% in favour of remaining, or whatever figure it is they pedal for SMEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Not the ones remain claims are still 90% in favour of remaining, or whatever figure it is they pedal for SMEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't seen that. Eitherway it's still a majority.

SMEs are not the same. Small Businesses are usually <100 employees, and 75% are sole proprietor with no employees.

I wouldn't be surprised if adding Medium Businesses increased the pro-Remain poll results somewhat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.