Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

EU referendum: nine out of 10 university staff back Remain watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Not everything's perfect; I'm just looking for a better solution.
    That doesn't mean the existing system is a dictatorship. In the existing system you can freely and openly plan and implement such a thing- this the inappropriateness of the dictatorship label

And again, the process of pooling sovereignty is removing people power.

Of course you can apply that to the rest of the UK, and say "why not break it up further?" But being a part of the EU doesn't help I believe.
    No, the area of argument is that the EU gives its collective body greater power in exchange for lesser freedom- the same with individuals and the state. As an individual I am free to do whatever I want (positive and negative) whereas in the state I give up some of these freedoms for a variety of benefits.

The EU is this on a state level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    First time for everthing.
    lol, brutal. maybe, maybe not.

(Original post by Craig1998)
    Typical leaver, ignoring the main point of my comment to focus on a little minor detail.

Don't even bother trying with me, debating with anyone supporting leave is becoming so tedious.
    You can't debate; that's quite evident from your post history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The bankers are going to get much more of a free ride in Boris's Britain, he's very, very pro-City and pro-banker, as we know in London from when he was Mayor.

There is no reduction in democracy in Britain, this is a total myth.

I assume your real concern is immigration?
    Do you not think the banks will migrate to Frankfurt? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    You can't debate; that's quite evident from your post history.
    Well my rep bar is pretty high. Yes, some of that is from study-specific help forums, but I do get a lot of rep in news and current affairs, politics etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    Do you not think the banks will migrate to Frankfurt? :holmes:
    Many of the big financial institutions in London have threatened that they will leave if decisions don't go their way - so far they haven't. London is a huge draw for international companies of all kinds. However, at least part of that is because it is in the EU but not in the Eurozone. I don't think there would be a sudden rush to Frankfurt on a Leave vote, but over the medium term, there might be relocations.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Who gives a sh*t? Im Voting Leave, and I hope everyone else does too. We need our democracy back.
    We havent had it in 40+ years. We can do this everyone. Ignore and screw the bankers, the biased experts and all the other rubbish. Lets not get conned.
    We have been in the EU for 40 years, and it is not working.
    What does 'getting democracy back' actually mean?

Is the UK not in a significantly better place than it was when we joined the EU? Perhaps the worst time since the second world war for the UK was in the 70s when we were called the 'sick man of Europe'. That's the case no more and we've seen some significant economic growth - between 1973 and 2014 our economy grew more than any other major economy except China, India and Brazil and more than any other EU country who was a member at the time we joined (or joined at the same time) except Ireland and Luxembourg. So our economy has done better of the last 40 years than the US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Japan, Denmark, Russia/USSR.

Given that we joined the EU for the economic benefits back then, it's clear that it's totally failed us, given how it's our economy grow more than most similar countries while we've been a member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    Well my rep bar is pretty high. Yes, some of that is from study-specific help forums, but I do get a lot of rep in news and current affairs, politics etc. etc.
    (When i reference your post history, I'm talking about the posts I've seen about, regarding the EU referendum.)

ReputationRep:
    (When i reference your post history, I'm talking about the posts I've seen about, regarding the EU referendum.)
    Quote em. Make sure you quote the good ones too rather than focusing on dreadful ones I made when it was like 11pm and I couldn't sleep :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Many of the big financial institutions in London have threatened that they will leave if decisions don't go their way - so far they haven't. London is a huge draw for international companies of all kinds. However, at least part of that is because it is in the EU but not in the Eurozone. I don't think there would be a sudden rush to Frankfurt on a Leave vote, but over the medium term, there might be relocations.
    I think they would trickle out. Obviously not a sudden rush, but over a period of about ten years, I think they'll relocate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    I think they would trickle out. Obviously not a sudden rush, but over a period of about ten years, I think they'll relocate.
    They would have to leave when the UK leaves the EU, they won't be allowed to sell services to the EU unless they have a significant presence there.

Thats why American and Swiss banks have to be located in London rather than New York or Zurich if they want to do business in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    "Nearly 90 per cent of those working in UK higher education will vote Remain in the European Union referendum, while 40 per cent say that they are more likely to leave the country in the event of a Brexit, a Times Higher Education survey suggests."

"40 per cent say that they are more likely to leave the country in the event of a Brexit"

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ff-back-remain

Not unexpected, but the size of the majority is impressive.

And here's a breakdown:

They want foreign students to make them richer and richer. It's in the best interest of people who run universities and schools,not in the best interest of British students.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by RoyalMarine)
    They want foreign students to make them richer and richer. It's in the best interest of people who run universities and schools,not in the best interest of British students.
    EU students don't pay high fees. They pay the same as Home students. It's the Internationals that pay the big bucks. You know, the ones from outside the EU.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Maker)
    They would have to leave when the UK leaves the EU, they won't be allowed to sell services to the EU unless they have a significant presence there.
    Not immediately. But yeah...

ReputationRep:
    EU students don't pay high fees. They pay the same as Home students. It's the Internationals that pay the big bucks. You know, the ones from outside the EU.
    still more paying people. With Leave they would have less paying students. If I was them I woulda say the same thing
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    still more paying people. With Leave they would have less paying students. If I was them I woulda say the same thing
    Great.

You do know they've been expanding universities for years. More UK students now go to university than ever before.

It's not as if they are coming over here taking our degrees...

But you'd rather see universities contract. Staff lose their jobs. Support staff, not just highly paid administrators and poorly paid academics.

As I said, great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great.

You do know they've been expanding universities for years. More UK students now go to university than ever before.

It's not as if they are coming over here taking our degrees...

But you'd rather see universities contract. Staff lose their jobs. Support staff, not just highly paid administrators and poorly paid academics.

As I said, great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see what's great with having more migrants who can now steal our jobs. It's great for people who sell it as their job but it's not good news for us.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't see what's great with having more migrants who can now steal our jobs. It's great for people who sell it as their job but it's not good news for us.
    UK unemployment is falling.
    UK wages are rising.

And you want to put that at risk because you don't want EU students coming over here, spending their money, helping the economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    UK unemployment is falling.
    UK wages are rising.

And you want to put that at risk because you don't want EU students coming over here, spending their money, helping the economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not for the young. Immigration is good for people who already have businesses as they can lower new salaries and the more customers the better to them. But for British students who aren't already finacially stable it will mean less opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    not for the young. Immigration is good for people who already have businesses as they can lower new salaries and the more customers the better to them. But for British students who aren't already finacially stable it will mean less opportunities.
    That doesn't make sense. If there are more EU students spending money in Britain, there will be more people needed to supply goods and services like shop workers, bus drivers and doctors. They will also pay tax like VAT and fuel duty so makes more employment for everyone.

If they did not come here, there will be less money spent in the British economy, less money from tax , fewer people will have jobs and British students have fewer courses to choose from and pay higher fees.

ReputationRep:
    Only 90%- I would have expected a higher percentage.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.