Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetragon213)
    The Pound sterling has plummeted against the dollar to the lowest it's been for 30 years, the FTSE 100 dropped by about 400 points in one night. Japan's Nikkei 225 dropped 8% while America's NASDAQ dropped 400 points. Is this what progress looks like? Because I'm seeing little red triangles all over the place.
    How has the ftse performed for the week? It looks to me to be up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    You are brilliant people, ignore these people who are upset that they do not get their own way and let's make Britain great again.
    Go away Donald Trump!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    Go away Donald Trump!!!
    Brexit, trump and bojo the world is already improving.

ReputationRep:
    Brexit, trump and bojo the world is already improving.
    That's the problem with Britain...
    it's full of far right narcissistic idiots....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    It will be so great!

- Illegal immigration and immigration from different cultures will increase (which I know you've all been campaigning for)
    - The value of the pound will go down and stay down (but the pound will now be extra british, which is what counts right?)
    - We will now have no say on what happens in the eu which means they can still do stuff that affects us but we have no negotiation or veto powers.
    - All the EU investment will dry up. (but it's fine because all that money being put into deprived economies was unpatriotic, right?)
    - Oh yeah and that border into our country you all hated in Calais? It will now be in Dover. By which point they will have claimed asylum and you will be unable to deport them.

Enjoy

xxxxx
    I love how no leave voter replied to this comment, this is all absolutely true

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem with Britain...
    it's full of far right narcissistic idiots....
    Neither one of those things is far right.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on Twitter and all I get from these people is everyone is racist let's take the vote away from them
    Thats not what im seeing. Im seeing people complaining for many more very reasonable reasons. Of course you would choose to share the least rational reason. Which can even be backed up with the fact that more stupid people voted brexit.

Its ok, stay here in your safe space.

ReputationRep:
    Neither one of those things is far right.
    They are all far right....

ReputationRep:
    They are all far right....
    No they are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drogon)
    Thats not what im seeing. Im seeing people complaining for many more very reasonable reasons. Of course you would choose to share the least rational reason. Which can even be backed up with the fact that more stupid people voted brexit.

Its ok, stay here in your safe space.
    I've been on Twitter and got sick of being called racist.

This place is so safe people want to burn me for my opinion but on Twitter it's only name calling.

ReputationRep:
    No they are not.
    If you say so.....

ReputationRep:
    Sensing a lot of buyer's remorse at the moment.

The leave vote had zero concrete economic argument (there's no guarantee re-negotiated trade deals would be better outside the EU than within). We are literally voting for the complete unknown.

The only thing leave had going for them is immigration control and that would be a non-starter if we end up having to allow free movement to get access to the single market (note the single market is like a trade deal on steroids so don't even try and compare it to trade deals the EU does with non-EU countries - it not only covers tariffs but also mountains of regulatory standards that are usually a nightmare to wrangle through eg. TTIP)

On that note, if you thought TTIP was bad just you wait and see the pile of crap the US will offer us when we come grovelling to strike up a trade deal. We barely have the infrastructure to negotiate a trade deal with medium-sized economies let alone one as big and diverse as the US. Most Brexiters honestly have no idea how much soft power we get from being within the EU. It's actually quite worrying to think how inflated our sense of self-importance is as a nation. The Little Englander mentality has really come home to roost.

Before this vote I had a decent bit of trust in the British public that they'd be able to separate empty rhetoric from real-life consequences but now I'm not so sure.

Direct democracy is a mistake for anything other than social issues. A decision of this scale - requiring a significant amount of nuance to even begin to understand the potential ramifications - should never have been left up to the general public. Cameron will go down as the most irresponsible PM in the history of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Its time we united with the rest of the world and especially our Commonwealth cousins.

I wanna see trade deals with China, India, South Africa, Australia, Canada etc.

I also want to see a good trade deal with the USA instead of taking that TPP monster.

We can do it. Its time to think like enter-pruners now because all that red tape has been lifted. You can make your dreams come true now. Make those ideas in reality!

What makes you think they want to trade with Britain and sacrifice their relationship with the world's largest trading block?

Sentiment? Because unless stockholm syndrome is a thing with countries, I doubt any of these will really 'want' to carry on, despite maybe showing initial polite support so as to not appear undemocratic. Colonialism, mass-genocide and gas chambers do not make friends.

It's all too late now anyway. Just really hope you leave people know what you're doing and we can get through this :/ Hopefully Britain will do okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirondelle127)
    What makes you think they want to trade with Britain and sacrifice their relationship with the world's largest trading block?

Sentiment? Because unless stockholm syndrome is a thing with countries, I doubt any of these will really 'want' to carry on, despite maybe showing initial polite support so as to not appear undemocratic. Colonialism, mass-genocide and gas chambers do not make friends.

It's all too late now anyway. Just really hope you leave people know what you're doing and we can get through this :/ Hopefully Britain will do okay.
    You make it sound like Europe is going to declare war on us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    It will be so great!

- Illegal immigration and immigration from different cultures will increase (which I know you've all been campaigning for)
    - The value of the pound will go down and stay down (but the pound will now be extra british, which is what counts right?)
    - We will now have no say on what happens in the eu which means they can still do stuff that affects us but we have no negotiation or veto powers.
    - All the EU investment will dry up. (but it's fine because all that money being put into deprived economies was unpatriotic, right?)
    - Oh yeah and that border into our country you all hated in Calais? It will now be in Dover. By which point they will have claimed asylum and you will be unable to deport them.

Enjoy

xxxxx
    Can you please shut up kid. you know absolutely nothing about politics; stop parroting your parents' opinions. You do realise that all youre repeating is ****ing propaganda. stop trying to sound like an adult with other people's opinions.You have no idea and its disgusting that people like you call yourself British. Too much cancer like you are in these *****y forums.

ReputationRep:
    You make it sound like Europe is going to declare war on us.
    Haha, sorry, I'm a bit disheartened by the result, so sorry if I sound a bit too pessimistic - though I can't imagine the other countries of Europe declaring war on us.

I just don't think they'll really want to let Britain get away with it. It's more the other countries we're supposed to trade with I'm worried about. I think we lose a lot of our value if we're not in the EU, so it depends a lot on whether we can get a special relationship with the EU, whether that will encourage other countries to trade with us, all the while making sure the EU feels secure enough that it doesn't have to cripple us too much to avoid other countries from leaving.

It'll be a very very difficult balance to try and pull off, so you can see why I'm not terribly optimistic. I did, and still do, genuinely believe the EU's benefits outweigh any of the negatives. Oh well. Just hope the blip in the pound we're experiencing now is temporary - it should be. Hopefully investment won't dry up either.

ReputationRep:
    Problem is these people want security on a plate. They want to feel safe. They don't like the unpredictability of being a free nation.

Britain is now open for international business and there is zero red tape stopping small business.
    Slow down. We're still in, for the time being. It's a process that will take years. Red tape is still there. But it will be slowly removed, if we agree terms well.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, sorry, I'm a bit disheartened by the result, so sorry if I sound a bit too pessimistic - though I can't imagine the other countries of Europe declaring war on us.

I just don't think they'll really want to let Britain get away with it. It's more the other countries we're supposed to trade with I'm worried about. I think we lose a lot of our value if we're not in the EU, so it depends a lot on whether we can get a special relationship with the EU, whether that will encourage other countries to trade with us, all the while making sure the EU feels secure enough that it doesn't have to cripple us too much to avoid other countries from leaving.

It'll be a very very difficult balance to try and pull off, so you can see why I'm not terribly optimistic. I did, and still do, genuinely believe the EU's benefits outweigh any of the negatives. Oh well. Just hope the blip in the pound we're experiencing now is temporary - it should be. Hopefully investment won't dry up either.
    true

the UK should not expect many favours from the other EU States

a very difficult negotiation will be coming up (as soon as the UK Government actually makes a request to exit the EU)

ReputationRep:
    do us all a favour and leave tsr

ReputationRep:

I'll tell you what is going to happen but your not going to like it.

1. We are going to have our currency on the short sell hit list for 3 years. This means short sellers will drive it down but eventually it will increase back up.

The way you get round this is by buying Gold & Silver.
    2. Banks will move to other countries but they aren't the money makers in the financial industry. Hedge Funds are. There is a huge misconception that Investment Bankers make all the money. This is just a fallacy but big Banks try and pull this trick to try and scare the Plebs.

You will see a rise of smaller firms over the years due to the rise of sites like EToro etc.
    3. Europe will be stubborn in offering us a trade deal but there are so many other countries who are currently at odds with Europe that it might be a good idea to have negotiations with the states we have regarded as enemies like Russia & Argentina.

And to be fair its about time we stopped this nonsense with countries like Argentina. We should try and find some common ground over the Falklands. Perhaps allow them to have the right of free travel there since the Falklands are a site of important cultural heritage for the Argentinians.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.