Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cameron resigns: who will be next PM? Watch

• View Poll Results: Following Cameron's resignation, who will be the next prime minister?
    Theresa May
    14.96%
    George Osborne
    6.57%
    Boris Johnson
    48.91%
    Michael Gove
    6.57%
    Someone else
    22.99%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    My hunch (in the immediate term) is on Theresa May. Although I think BoJo will be on the final ballot for the election, I think Theresa has been relatively unharmed by the referendum (to public and politicians). She has been a capable Home Secretary and a good administrator - and is not tarred I don't feel as badly as the image of a rich boys club as one might denote to Dave/BoJo/Osbo. She's also quite eurosceptic, and could prove a good negotiator. She apparently has large support from Tory MPs to be next leader.

I've also heard good things about Dominic Raab (eurosceptic) but don't think he has the Parliamentary support at this time. Crabb is too europhile for the party, Morgan too left wing for the party, and Osbo will perhaps be sidelined in favour of Theresa for the eurosceptic vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    May is too traditional for me however i can see the media painting her as Thatcher 2.0 and a lot of people who don't normally vote Tory would really lap that up. She does have some strengths as you point out.

(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Lol who on Earth chose Gove.
    I did. He proved in education that he has vision and resolve (could be better on tact) and he proved in the EU referendum that he can engage the electorate at large, he was by far the most impressive of the skeptics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I did. He proved in education that he has vision and resolve (could be better on tact)
    Is this a serious statement lol? Gove was an utter w*nkington when Education Secretary.

ReputationRep:
    I predicted that the UK would leave,and the UK had left.
    Boris is not going to become the next pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    I predicted that the UK would leave,and the UK had left.
    Boris is not going to become the next pm
    May want to change your avatar soon tho - Osborne's career is over regardless. If he hadn't already, his pathetic, desperate 'Brexit Budget' scaremongering spelled the end for him in the eyes of the backbench Conservatives, and they're the ones who pull the strings of the Party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    May want to change your avatar soon tho - Osborne's career is over regardless. If he hadn't already, his pathetic, desperate 'Brexit Budget' scaremongering spelled the end for him in the eyes of the backbench Conservatives, and they're the ones who pull the strings of the Party.

Lol I was going to change it to Nicky Morgan, but yeah Osbourne is probably one of the worst chancellors of all time.

ReputationRep:
    Deciding between Gove and Boris for PM, whilst Corbyn sits in the background - the tragedy.

To think last week I was laughing at the choice Americans were having to make for president between Trump and Clinton, with Bernie sitting in the background collecting pockets of liberal votes.

We're basically the same

ReputationRep:
    Liam Fox

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well the country's doomed anyway so it may as well be me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Well the country's doomed anyway so it may as well be me

How can you think so little of our great country?

ReputationRep:
    How can you think so little of our great country?
    What's so great about it?

ReputationRep:
    Boris. If we're to live in interesting times, then I could use the comic relief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    May is too traditional for me however i can see the media painting her as Thatcher 2.0 and a lot of people who don't normally vote Tory would really lap that up. She does have some strengths as you point out.

I can see that to be honest. I think the Tories do have a thing for strong women - it would also play well with voters so even more of a reason for support her.

I'm probably going to be joining the Tories later this year so hopefully I can vote in this election

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    I can see that to be honest. I think the Tories do have a thing for strong women - it would also play well with voters so even more of a reason for support her.

I'm probably going to be joining the Tories later this year so hopefully I can vote in this election

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This happens in the next 2 months.

Also i don't think you can just join and vote (even i who did'nt renew my membership can't), if i recall you have to a member for 3 years.

When you look at what happened with Labour, it does make sense. No reason you can't join and become a foot solider though.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    None of them. Although especially not Gove. I cannot express the amount of hatred I have for that man and Boris is a bloody idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe there will be calls for Cameron to remain as PM and he will be pacified like a baby to return to #10.

Otherwise, I doubt Boris will be PM, no one ever from a nobody becomes a PM especially from within the Conservative Party. Think back on how John Major became PM and the number of contenders at that time.

My guess is it would be Gove or Osborne, neither of those will last long as PM unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    What's so great about it?
    Are you serious?
    People your age have no respect whats so ever, but you're living in one of the greatest countries in the world, sure we do not have palm trees and exotic weather, but you have freedom,you have opportunity and other first world privileges, so please do not hesitate, and be proud and show the world how great our country really is.
    And remember that people died for your freedom
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Are you serious?
    People your age have no respect whats so ever, but you're living in one of the greatest countries in the world, sure we do not have palm trees and exotic weather, but you have freedom,you have opportunity and other first world privileges, so please do not hesitate, and be proud and show the world how great our country really is.
    And remember that people died for your freedom
    Your avatar... where is he these days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Your avatar... where is he these days?
    He is prepping up to become the next PM.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    He is prepping up to become the next PM.
    Good luck with that

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.