Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economist who predicted financial crisis backs leaving the European Union watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    This whole notion of "I'm right because the experts say so" is incredibly dangerous. Like, it's not even a conversation starter.
    These people are idiots who have no capacity for rational thought. Its pointless arguing with them. Anyone who accepts anything without questioning it thoroughly or a degree of scepticism is quite frankly a moron.

Idiots like this that blindly accept something because its in a report are the same sort of idiots that drove us into a false Iraq War because some senior official wrote a report recommending it. Absolutely absurd and to not have that questioned at the point of production is disgusting and bad practice at best.

After 9/11, the experts told us all that there were weapons of mass destruction so of course it must have been true. How on Earth could the experts be so wrong? Its just utter nonsense to blindly accept anything without a high level of scepticism and discourse. Most of the people have not even read the reports, and that is on both sides.

I spent time reading both the IMF report and the OECD report and they're both so embarrassing its cringeworthy. Firstly, they are based on baseless assumptions which come from no facts at all. The input will have an impact on the output yet they still went ahead and made these absurd assumptions, but of course the mainstream media wont tell people 'IMF report based on ridiculous assumptions backs staying in the EU' now will they? Of course not.

Scepticism must go hand in hand with rationality. I actually remember Christopher Hitchens giving an incredible talk about scepticism. I'll see if I can dig it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    These are largely the same banks i.e. GS, HSBC, JP, UBS, Deutsche, Barclays etc. They operate everywhere and the passporting rights will not be an issue, in my opinion.

I spoke about emotions because you seem to be writing like one who thinks the world is about to end.

That being said, the UK economy is much more than financial services. There are other policies and objectives that need to be negotiated. It is going to be a long road ahead and everyone must be on deck supporting positive negotiations rather than moping and making things difficult for others.
    Lol. You must be joking. This is literally a once in a life time opportunity to make money.

If the EU plays hardball, then the pound is going to drop even further.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Lol. You must be joking. This is literally a once in a life time opportunity to make money.

If the EU plays hardball, then the pound is going to drop even further.
    Let us wait and see. Like you wrote "if the EU plays hardball." I don't think that they will play hardball. They will lose as well.

Here is an article stating that Angela Merkel (Chancellor of Europe) playing down any issues of the EU playing hardball.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36630326

My opinion is this. After some days of digesting this news, many politicians will put aside their differences and work towards an amicable dissolution of the UK's EU membership.

To me, many people are passing through the 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance), I hope that we go through all stages as soon as possible and get to acceptance before the negotiations begin.

I have a positive outlook and let us be hopeful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Let us wait and see. Like you wrote "if the EU plays hardball." I don't think that they will play hardball. They will lose as well.

Here is an article stating that Angela Merkel (Chancellor of Europe) playing down any issues of the EU playing hardball.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36630326

My opinion is this. After some days of digesting this news, many politicians will put aside their differences and work towards an amicable dissolution of the UK's EU membership.

To me, many people are passing through the 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance), I hope that we go through all stages as soon as possible and get to acceptance before the negotiations begin.

I have a positive outlook and let us be hopeful.
    Sure, they will lose. However, they are not letting a country out without some punishment. It wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

On a serious note, read the reports by the economists and follow what they say. You might make some money.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sure, they will lose. However, they are not letting a country out without some punishment. It wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

On a serious note, read the reports by the economists and follow what they say. You might make some money.
    Let us wait and see. I don't want to call it too early. There is too much apprehension in the air, when the dust settles, then I can judge for myself.

I read the reports by economists and I take it on board, but I don't make it my complete word. If I do, there is no point for me to have a brain to listen to both arguments and judge for myself.

A famous quote from Warren Buffett, a great investor, said "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful." For someone who has made so much money from his gut feeling and calculated moves, I respect his opinion.

I think this is the time for the UK to rise despite the fear and trepidation that surrounds Brexit. Hopefully, future generations will see 23rd June 2016 as a great and positively defining moment in the future of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)

After 9/11, the experts told us all that there were weapons of mass destruction so of course it must have been true. How on Earth could the experts be so wrong? Its just utter nonsense to blindly accept anything without a high level of scepticism and discourse. Most of the people have not even read the reports, and that is on both sides.
    t.
    What utter *******s.

The UN team that inspected Iraq said there were not any WMDs and they wanted to finish their inspection.

The only people that said there were the US and UK Government by scrapping together false intelligent reports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't see the issue with following the expert consensus.
    You sound like a religious zealot. Every single think should be questioned, even things said to be fact. That is what takes the world forward because people do not settle. If we had settled we'd have not discovered the God particle. Had we settled we'd not be making groundbreaking discoveries in medicine. The scientific method, scepticism and rigorous discourse are what takes us forward.

Every single thing should be challenged because really, nobody is an expert in anything. They may be more informed and have a degree of educational and work experience in a specific area, but they are not the godly experts so many claim they are. This current generation sickens me. It is so reliant on reports from experts, Googling everything and having everything put on a plate for them that they've lost the capacity to think for themselves.

Albert Einstein once said this.

Now, are you going to tell me he is an idiot? Of course not. He was an ardent sceptic and genius who saw through the ******** and questioned it at every single opportunity. This is why this man took the world forward.

He also said:

I expect your not going to be so arrogant to dismiss the words of a proven genius who took the world forward due to his scepticism, rigorous discourse and utter contempt for authority, but it wouldn't surprise me if you did because it doesn't back up your argument.

Never a truer statement. Sadly, our universities are full of students that blindly believe everything.

And this is basically you:

You are putting experts on a pedestal because they are more informed. However, they should still be questioned, not have their viewpoints blindly accepted, even more so when they're making forecasts or predictions that are run in uncontrolled environments that cannot be reproduced in a controlled environment in a laboratory. Blindly accepting things because the so called experts say so is just utterly naive and dangerous, but its the exact reasons the politicians do it to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses of sheep out there who will read the newspapers or report headline and nothing else, totally skipping over a flawed methodology.

ReputationRep:
    The only people that said there were the US and UK Government by scrapping together false intelligent reports.
    Put together by intelligence experts. Thanks for confirming my point.

In the USA, Jeb Bush has not long ago hired the same ****ing Foreign Policy experts that drove the US into an Iraq War. So much for expert opinion aye.

It was South African WMD experts that argued to not go into war yet they still went with their own experts opinion and did it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    JordanL_

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll side with the economist with a track record of getting things right, as opposed to the IMF and OECD who have a notorious track record of getting things wrong.
    Translation: I'll ignore hundreds of experts and side with the one that says what I want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    Put together by intelligence experts. Thanks for confirming my point.

In the USA, Jeb Bush has not long ago hired the same ****ing Foreign Policy experts that drove the US into an Iraq War. So much for expert opinion aye.

It was South African WMD experts that argued to not go into war yet they still went with their own experts opinion and did it anyway.
    I didn't say intelligence experts. I said intelligence reports. Try reading.

South African WMD? Loads of people said not to go war. Even the UN said it and they suck 90% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Translation: I'll ignore hundreds of experts and side with the one that says what I want to hear.
    No. I have provided multiple economists. Have you read the IMF and OECD reports? Maybe we can have a discussion about the assumptions and methodology as i have read both in great detail. Are you interested?

I didn't say intelligence experts. I said intelligence reports. Try reading.
    I said intelligence experts because that is what they were, and they produced the reports, you imbecile. I think you need to learn to read as you're quite clearly a bit of a blithering idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I said intelligence experts because that is what they were, and they produced the reports, you imbecile. I think you need to learn to read as you're quite clearly a bit of a blithering idiot.
    Who said they were experts? You are just making more things up as you are going along.

LOL. First, all of the experts said they were WMDs, then all of the intelligence reports were written by experts in intelligence ( whatever the **** that means)

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.