Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    What a hypocrite! If the result was the other way round you will be saying the exact same thing! So, shut up and accept it!

Furthermore on your point about general elections, in general elections people have lied (e.g. Tories manifesto - to bring down immigration to the "tens of thousands" - that was a lie, therefore it's corrupt in your books isn't it?). It is also misleading to tell people the Leave campaign lie when the Remain campaign has ALSO told lies (if not more).

I'm starting to get very irritated by this Jordan kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    We have literally always been a sovereign, independent nation. That is so insulting to countries which were actually colonised by Great Britain and ACTUALLY gained independence.
    No it isn't

ReputationRep:
    Vote remain, get banged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tool Box)
    Mate just **** off, yeah

Ordinary working class people like myself won the vote, people who are at the brunt end of immigration and how it's ruining the country

Students should not be entitled to vote as they do not understand how the real world works

So just be happy that ordinary people finally got the say after so long
    Ngl, you have been played with the reducing immigration argument. If we decide now to rejoin the single market (and if we don't we would most likely suffer huge repercussions to our trade and economy), it is mandatory that we allow free movement of persons ie. we cannot control our borders from EU migrants any more than before. There will be no less immigration.

If we don't join the single market (but probably will), the government "controlling" immigration is very different to reducing it. Immigration is incredible for our economy and the government knows this. They have no plans to reduce immigration: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...n-nhs-spending

Either way, the reason I feel many people voted leave is unfortunately not even true.

ReputationRep:
    Whining and crying isn't going to solve anything. This is what a child reverts to. This is why people are fed up of people moaning. I know your upset and it's understandable but we need to focus on the fact that we're leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    We'll be even more sovereign and independent once Scotland vote to leave, considering there's now 59% support for Scottish independence.
    Good riddance. They get out more than they put in so if they leave then England and Wales will be better off in terms of GDP per capita. I hope Scotland enjoys the impending Eurozone collapse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    No it isn't
    Nick, if you keep acting like we've gained independence, you're going to get made fun of. No one is going to take you seriously. This is for your own good.

ReputationRep:
    We'll be even more sovereign and independent once Scotland vote to leave, considering there's now 59% support for Scottish independence.
    They're not leaving. They are British and part of our nation.

ReputationRep:
    People have as much right to question a majority decision as the majority have to make a stupid decision. Democracy is just about reading the Daily Mail one morning and then going out and casting your vote and that's that. Maybe that's all you can be arsed with, but if people want to take an active role in politics, that should be encouraged.

People should be held accountable for their decisions. If you vote for something and everything goes tits up, you shouldn't just get to forget about it while everyone else suffers the consequences. We're completely entitled to make a big fuss about everything that's gone wrong as a result of the leave voters, we're not going to pretend it's not happening.

This referendum was in no way democratic. If this had been a general election, the masterminds behind Vote Leave would be in prison for the blatant corruption in this campaign. People made their votes based on things that just weren't true - "we'll be £350m/week better off", "Turkey is joining and sending all their immigrants", and so on. Millions of pounds were spend on advertising LIES to scare people into voting.

Boris Johnson and Michael Gove won people over with this rhetoric, turning the EU into this monster representing the elites. Lots of people voted "against the establishment", and are now realising they've been played by the elites the whole time.

Something being "democratic" doesn't mean that it's fair or right. Stop telling people how to feel and behave.
    Shut up and accept it. There is nothing you can do little guy. This is democracy.. the plebs have spoken. Go move countries and cry elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    They're not leaving. They are British and part of our nation.
    No, they're leaving. And I don't blame them, I'd want to leave this toxic wasteland too.

(Original post by welshiee)
    Good riddance. They get out more than they put in so if they leave then England and Wales will be better off in terms of GDP per capita. I hope Scotland enjoys the impending Eurozone collapse.
    GDP per capita is irrelevant. It's GDP that matters when we're negotiating all those new trade deals that we're supposedly going to make. If Scotland leaves we'll become completely irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    No, they're leaving. And I don't blame them, I'd want to leave this toxic wasteland too.

GDP per capita is irrelevant. It's GDP that matters when we're negotiating all those new trade deals that we're supposedly going to make. If Scotland leaves we'll become completely irrelevant.
    If you want to leave, then leave. You're not a patriot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Well if you start holding referendums every time you get a feeling that public opinion has probably shifted you'll be holding them forever...
    He doesnt want them when public opinion shifts, he wants them only when the public opinion aligns with his interests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    He doesnt want them when public opinion shifts, he wants them only when the public opinion aligns with his interests
    Nope, I don't want them at all. But we had one, and the result was stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    This referendum wouldn't have happened had we not gained a Tory government last May, whose backbenchers basically forced this onto us. The number of people that have been misinformed genuinely makes me feel a bit sick - they probably didn't even know what the EU was until a couple of months ago, and now they've voted our futures away by voting to leave.

ReputationRep:
    We don't have to 'shut up' and accept it, but we do have to accept it. Of course we should keep arguing our side and trying to convince the Brexiters that they may have been wrong. But the goal of that argument should be to come up with a new, constructive solution in the future; not to intimidate everyone into reversing the decision that the majority made.

Just accept that the majority have made a decision and the democratic process has worked. But we can still keep debating of course.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't want them at all. But we had one, and the result was stupid.
    Tough you cannot stifle peoples voice because u might not like what they ask for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    This referendum wouldn't have happened had we not gained a Tory government last May, whose backbenchers basically forced this onto us. The number of people that have been misinformed genuinely makes me feel a bit sick - they probably didn't even know what the EU was until a couple of months ago, and now they've voted our futures away by voting to leave.
    People have been misinformed on both sides.. welcome to politics. Heres world leader Obama saying he lied and was FOS about our special relationship and back of the queue ... which the remain campaign used to scare people with

Guess what.. LIES

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-election-2016

You really need to get over it because the coming few years may get turbulent

ReputationRep:

If you need to be in the eu to be happy and content then maybe you need to do something with your life.

you have the key to your own success the eu doesn't have it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    What a hypocrite! If the result was the other way round you will be saying the exact same thing! So, shut up and accept it!

Furthermore on your point about general elections, in general elections people have lied (e.g. Tories manifesto - to bring down immigration to the "tens of thousands" - that was a lie, therefore it's corrupt in your books isn't it?). It is also misleading to tell people the Leave campaign lie when the Remain campaign has ALSO told lies (if not more).

I'm starting to get very irritated by this Jordan kid.
    If this had been the other way around and there was a Brexiter outcry, I would not be telling you to shut up. I would certainly debate against you however. Your argument is entirely based on conjecture.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.