Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sturgeon says Scotland could try to block UK withdrawal from the EU Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Nah they wont, they don't love the EU that much.
    They will. Being in Europe makes them much stronger than being in the UK.

I know staunch voters in Scotland who last time voted against independence but will vote for it this time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excuse Me!)
    They will. Being in Europe makes them much stronger than being in the UK.

I know staunch voters in Scotland who last time voted against independence but will vote for it this time round.
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

In a few months when everything calms down, they will see that Britain has not turned into North Korea and will relax about it. Scotland will be out of the EU no matter what they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanderfeild)
    Well yes but that'd be violating Sewel Convention by altering scope of Scottish parliament's remit without Scottish parliament's consent. Combine "Westminster is undoing devolution" with "we just got dragged out of EU by little England" and they've just been handed Scottish independence on silver platter.
    Absolutely, but when viewed from England's perspective, vetoing 'Brexit' is going against the majority decision, regardless of which entity voted for what. The referendum was UK-wide; not regional. Scotland will damage relations with Westminster if they veto the results.
    Regardless, I don't see Scotland staying in the Union much longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Absolutely, but when viewed from England's perspective, vetoing 'Brexit' is going against the majority decision, regardless of which entity voted for what. The referendum was UK-wide; not regional. Scotland will damage relations with Westminster if they veto the results.
    Regardless, I don't see Scotland staying in the Union much longer.
    Rural England and Wales will definitely be beyond pissed, although I'm not sure whether it'd damage relations with Westminster parties very much - it'll with the English and Welsh people but that's rather irrelevant for SNP. Most parties are majorly for staying within EU, and if the article in Guardian (I think it was) is anything to go by, Boris will be pretty happy bloke too - he gets to be PM, doesn't have to deal with article 50 and undoing of his career either way.
    It'd certainly be within realms of possibility for Boris and UK parliamentary parties to go "oh we so wanted to respect people's will to take UK out of EU, and make us free and independent but that undemocratic Scottish demon lady stopped us!" because that keeps UK together thus saving their political careers.

ReputationRep:
    Rural England and Wales will definitely be beyond pissed, although I'm not sure whether it'd damage relations with Westminster parties very much - it'll with the English and Welsh people but that's rather irrelevant for SNP. Most parties are majorly for staying within EU, and if the article in Guardian (I think it was) is anything to go by, Boris will be pretty happy bloke too - he gets to be PM, doesn't have to deal with article 50 and undoing of his career either way.
    Party opinions are irrelevant in this referendum, as regional breakdowns show a clear 'divorce' between party politics and what the voters did. This is also why so many polls were wrong about the outcome. Moreover, whoever becomes the next leader of the Tory party (most likely a leading Eurosceptic) will trigger Article 50 and deal with the renegotiations. Cameron has hinted that he will not be responsible for this (and rightly so).

It'd certainly be within realms of possibility for Boris and UK parliamentary parties to go "oh we so wanted to respect people's will to take UK out of EU, and make us free and independent but that undemocratic Scottish demon lady stopped us!" because that keeps UK together thus saving their political careers.
    I don't agree with you here. From a political stance, refusing to now exit the EU would be political suicide and would cause an even wider division. At this stage, I feel that Scottish secession is inevitable; be it in the next year or in the next decade.

oShahpo

Ah, you again.

On Brexit, you and several others like you were wrong about the outcome. Live with it. The people have spoken. Respect it. You may have been agonizing over it as a result of the decision. Get over it.

UK is not a charity for the rest of the world to drop in, use its resources for free while the ever-obliging British taxpayer has to obediently foot the bill. The duty of any democratic government is to its people, first and foremost.

With Brexit, the days are numbered where any Tom, **** and Harry can enter UK
    • without being checked if they are holding genuine passports
    • without being checked if they have links to terrorist groups
    • without being checked if they have criminal records in their home countries
    • without being checked if they have HIV/AIDS
    Sturgeon
    • wants independence for Scotland
    • yet wants Westminster to continue throwing money over Hadrian's wall
    • but wants to vote on English laws when rightfully, only the English should vote on them
    • yet she resists against charging £9000 for tuition fees and capped it at £1,820 for the Scots
    • and she rather join the EU in holy matrimony then to continue being unified with UK
    ATW1 Duncan2012 stefano865 Tetragon213 The_Opinion
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    without being checked if they are holding genuine passports
    I feel I need to respond to this point... for the first 3 actually we could check because we were not in schengen. so people with terrorist links who posed a danger to the british public and people who didn't have genuine passports could and were refused entry.
    I don't see the point of your 4th point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    oShahpo

Ah, you again.

On Brexit, you and several others like you were wrong about the outcome. Live with it. The people have spoken. Respect it. You may have been agonizing over it as a result of the decision. Get over it.

UK is not a charity for the rest of the world to drop in, use its resources for free while the ever-obliging British taxpayer has to obediently foot the bill. The duty of any democratic government is to its people, first and foremost.

With Brexit, the days are numbered where any Tom, **** and Harry can enter UK
    • without being checked if they are holding genuine passports
    Sturgeon
    • wants independence for Scotland
    • yet wants Westminster to continue throwing money over Hadrian's wall
    • but wants to vote on English laws when rightfully, only the English should vote on them
    • yet she resists against charging £9000 for tuition fees and capped it at £1,820 for the Scots
    • and she rather join the EU in holy matrimony then to continue being unified with UK
    ATW1 Duncan2012 stefano865 Tetragon213 The_Opinion

The hypocrisy of Scotland wanting to be part of the EU, but not UK, makes sense when you consider that the SNP don't really want to be part of the EU, its just a tactic to get another referendum to lave the UK, as I have said before, the core value of the SNP is hatred of English.

(Original post by Aph)
    [/list]I feel I need to respond to this point... for the first 3 actually we could check because we were not in schengen. so people with terrorist links who posed a danger to the british public and people who didn't have genuine passports could and were refused entry.
    I don't see the point of your 4th point...
    We can not check if they have criminal records in their own nations, not when they are allowed to just walk through the border, if we have a visa system, we would be able to do that. At least for long-term visitors anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The hypocrisy of Scotland wanting to be part of the EU, but not UK, makes sense when you consider that the SNP don't really want to be part of the EU, its just a tactic to get another referendum to lave the UK, as I have said before, the core value of the SNP is hatred of English.

We can not check if they have criminal records in their own nations, not when they are allowed to just walk through the border, if we have a visa system, we would be able to do that. At least for long-term visitors anyway.
    except that we actually can... we just aren't allowed to refuse them entry for having a criminal record unless we can prove that they pose a real and present threat to the UK. there is a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Would be absolutely hilarious if the Scottish did the English over

The SNP will 100% fight it but will they be successful?

Truthfully no one knows, at the minute we do not know who will trigger article 50, we do not know if there will be a general elections, the opposition is in turmoil, and there is no plan

I think the MPs and leaders in this country have reacted awfully, I voted Remain but I expected them to suck it up and deal with it... They're all acting childish so of course the public will react similarly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    except that we actually can... we just aren't allowed to refuse them entry for having a criminal record unless we can prove that they pose a real and present threat to the UK. there is a difference.
    It doesn't really matter either way... Regardless of whether we were in or out, another European country wouldn't allow a highly dangerous person to even leave their home country in the first place
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kieran1996)
    It doesn't really matter either way... Regardless of whether we were in or out, another European country wouldn't allow a highly dangerous person to even leave their home country in the first place
    actually 4,000 EU nationals were refused entry to the UK last year due to posing a threat to national security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    actually 4,000 EU nationals were refused entry to the UK last year due to posing a threat to national security.
    I was agreeing with your comment that we can refuse them if they pose a threat

Obviously people will always get through but in most cases a country will not just let a dangerous person roam free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I was agreeing with your comment that we can refuse them if they pose a threat

Obviously people will always get through but in most cases a country will not just let a dangerous person roam free
    oh sorry... I'm so used to hostility for being pro-EU these days...

yes, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    oh sorry... I'm so used to hostility for being pro-EU these days...

yes, I agree.
    no worries

basically Scotland would rather be run by ***** in the EU than ***** in England

there is no way that the people in charge in England are any better than those in the EU

all we've done is changed which ***** make the decisions and make ourselves poorer

ReputationRep:
    Nah they wont, they don't love the EU that much.
    61% of Scots voted to remain.

If 61% isn't enough of an indication that they like something, 52% isn't an indication that the rest of us dislike it. Should we call off Brexit?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    no worries

basically Scotland would rather be run by ***** in the EU than ***** in England

there is no way that the people in charge in England are any better than those in the EU

all we've done is changed which ***** make the decisions and make ourselves poorer
    I actually think that the EU, despite having a few issues, is a force for good. so I do hope that scotland leaves and join the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I actually think that the EU, despite having a few issues, is a force for good. so I do hope that scotland leaves and join the EU.
    My main praise of the EU is that it helped less developed countries in the EU develop

So countries like Poland got £15 billion investment (last year)

All European states being strong and stable is better than us being strong and stable and them being unstable

Instabilities end up effect us all anyway

ReputationRep:
    Would be absolutely hilarious if the Scottish did the English over

The SNP will 100% fight it but will they be successful?

Truthfully no one knows, at the minute we do not know who will trigger article 50, we do not know if there will be a general elections, the opposition is in turmoil, and there is no plan

I think the MPs and leaders in this country have reacted awfully, I voted Remain but I expected them to suck it up and deal with it... They're all acting childish so of course the public will react similarly.
    We do know, the Scots cannot do anything to stop the UK from leaving the EU, they don't have the power. They cannot stop us from leaving NATO, the WTO, or any organisation in which the UK is a member
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    My main praise of the EU is that it helped less developed countries in the EU develop

So countries like Poland got £15 billion investment (last year)

All European states being strong and stable is better than us being strong and stable and them being unstable

Instabilities end up effect us all anyway
    agreed. It's also rather good at promoting egalitarianism and encouraging diversity and understanding.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.