Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    The Lib Dems alone cannot block it. However, if enough MPs from across all the parties form a majority, then yes they could block it. I would rejoice tbh; I know it's undemocratic but I know the public made the wrong choice.
    There will probably be a three line whip in both Labour and Tory groups ordering their MPs to respect the wish of the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    I think any party which blocks the result of the referendum will be signing its own death warrant. They would lose all credibility with the electorate and fringe parties would gain a much bigger slice of the vote.
    Yes, especially Labour. They would lose the north to UKIP in 2020.

ReputationRep:
    As a remain voter and strong pro EU supporter I would probably feel:

40% amused
    30% concerned
    10% ambivalent
    10% annoyed
    5% hopeful
    4% why does it have to be them?
    1% why does it have to Tim Farron?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    Lets be honest. We might not have a Scotland in the UK when article 50 is going to be ratified.
    Why?

Oil price is low and they would have to create a new currency (and even a new country, with embassies, an army, a central bank, etc.), whilst the markets are already paranoid. Scotland leaving the UK would lead to a true economic disaster; the UK leaving the EU is nothing in comparison.

Sturgeon would like to become independent and stay in the EU at the same time, but Spain will block their admission. When she realises that, she will stop calling for a new referendum.

Don't worry. The UK will remain united.

ReputationRep:
    its not gonna happen so yeah.. and its not exactly democracy vs democracy i it

ReputationRep:
    If that was to happen, I would take a train to London and protest outside the houses of parliament. That would be a perversion of the democratic process.

ReputationRep:
    I'll riot.

ReputationRep:
    Having voted leave - I'd have no issue.

We have clearly been lied to and abadoned by frankly childish politicians who clearly didn't expect, and didn't prepare for, this outcome. Shame on the government for not being there in the most politically turbulent time i can remember. Disappointed in the government tbh
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Id be happy for a while, then it would dawn in me that most of the 52% would probably vote UKIP so I'd be scared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    If that was to happen, I would take a train to London and protest outside the houses of parliament. That would be a perversion of the democratic process.
    And I would join you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    There are 8 Lib Dem MPs.

Out of, what, 650? They have no power. Empty threat.
    You mean 108, not 8 lol.

ReputationRep:
    If they do that, that will be political suicide of Labour and the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Why?

Oil price is low and they would have to create a new currency (and even a new country, with embassies, an army, a central bank, etc.), whilst the markets are already paranoid. Scotland leaving the UK would lead to a true economic disaster; the UK leaving the EU is nothing in comparison.

Sturgeon would like to become independent and stay in the EU at the same time, but Spain will block their admission. When she realises that, she will stop calling for a new referendum.

Don't worry. The UK will remain united.
    Why would Spain do that?

ReputationRep:
    be pleasantly surprised and happy that we get to be in the EU, but this is sadly just make belief

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Why would Spain do that?
    Because they don't want Catalonia to secede. If Scotland can become independent and immediately join the EU (and even the Euro), it would be like accepting the independence of Catalonia. The only thing that prevent independentists from leaving Spain for good is that they would have also to leave the EU and Eurozone.

Therefore Spain will veto any application from Scotland to enter the EU. European leaders will also try to avoid any "wave of independences" (the Basque country and Flanders in Belgium could follow).

Scotland will not be independent.

ReputationRep:
    You mean 108, not 8 lol.
    I really, really don't.

There are 8 MPs representing the Lib Dems in the current parliament.

Please, do some basic research so you don't embarrass yourself.

Edit: I don't even think they've ever had 100+ in parliament. Even at their 'strongest', numbers wise, in the coalition they only had 50-something.
    Where on earth do you get 100+ from? Are you getting Lib Dems confused with something else?

ReputationRep:
    Really there would be rioting.Anarchy on the streets of london, manchester and other big cities.
    They would probably renegotiate and hold another referendum , costing another 50 million pounds

ReputationRep:
    Riots would happen. I would protest but nothing violent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I really, really don't.

There are 8 MPs representing the Lib Dems in the current parliament.

Please, do some basic research so you don't embarrass yourself.

Edit: I don't even think they've ever had 100+ in parliament. Even at their 'strongest', numbers wise, in the coalition they only had 50-something.
    Where on earth do you get 100+ from? Are you getting Lib Dems confused with something else?
    If they are the only party committed to ignoring the referendum they have a potential voter base of 48% at any coming snap election. It's a good move by the party and for Europhiles because then the other parties will be sure to lose the election unless they ignore it too. At the very least it would force the other parties to take a manifesto position on exactly what sort of exit we should have

ReputationRep:
    If they do that, that will be political suicide of Labour and the Conservatives.
    And the support for Farage and UKIP would go through the roof. As much as I'm frustrated that Brexit has been perhaps significantly influenced by what IDS himself this morning admitted were 'contradictory promises' made by the Leave campaign (and already we're seeing signs of some people regretting their vote realising they've been conned by Leave 'contradictory promises' and being told to dismiss the hard facts as 'scaremongering'), it would make a mockery of the referendum if parliament overturned the vote. So as much as it's a mess at the moment, I think at this point we have to accept the result and the consequences and hope for the best really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.