Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will we have our Death Penalty back now ? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Now that we are back in charge of our own affairs, can we start hanging people again ?
    just take out their knees with a musket blast and leave them to it (a shotgun could be substituted)

ReputationRep:
    I really hope they don't. I am 100% against the death penalty.

Although I do think we should have life without no parole. I just hate his maximum of 25 years bullshut.

ReputationRep:
    just saying something does not make it true.

And that is why we have the law and human rights

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it will be reinstated.
    Tbh,If I had to choose between the death penalty and life imprisonment,I would choose the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercuryman)
    What about having the heads of traitors on a spike outside buckingham palace?
    I think being hung drawn and quartered is more effective

ReputationRep:
    It would make sense bringing it back for the worst crimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    the bear The Roast TSRFT8 calm down Xelfrost mercuryman Blue_Mason JamesN88
    PrincessZara CharlesJH

There are international students from rich, prosperous and safe first world countries namely in the Commonwealth, reading this thread and laughing to themselves as to the incredulous stupidity of successive British governments' fear of reviving the death penalty because to do so would be akin to committing political hara-kiri.

These international students have to study the British curriculum back home so it is inevitable that as they process the information in the textbooks about the UK, they can't help but compare the UK situation with that of their home countries. Their teachers also encourage them to read anything but the BBC because the BBC is part of the state. It's role is to be the political mouthpiece of the Conservative government. To publish articles with detailed analysis and editorial opinions is not advisable. This not how a special relationship works.

These international students are on this forum because they're in search of increasing their general knowledge on the UK unis that they intend to study at. The reason why they don't participate on threads of this nature is because
    • they're not British
    • they couldn't care less if capital punishment is brought back in the UK
    • they want to go to the top UK unis, complete their degrees and return back home to work
    • they know that many British politicians after Thatcher, are clueless & made a mess of almost everything
    • they know that many of the British politicians have never done a proper day's work in their lives
    • they know that the British police are powerless because they face cuts in numbers and salaries in the aftermath of the allocation of budget following every life of Parliament
    • they know that serving a prison sentence in UK jails is like taking a holiday
    • they know that the only saving grace of the UK is the judiciary especially the Supreme Court judges
    • they know that the Supreme Court judges can only do so much because their hands are tied given that the British politicians' stance on legislation on punishment is soft
    If you brought back the death penalty today, there would be an immediate decrease in
    • murders, unauthorized firearms possession and/or discharge of firearm
    • possession and/or trafficking of large quantities of illicit drugs
    To suggest that the death penalty should not be brought back for fear of miscarriages of justice is to cast aspersions on the integrity and professionalism of the investigating police officers, the Crown Prosecution Service and the various hierarchy of the court structures which are staffed with learned judges.

If you introduced caning or flogging, there too would be a similar decease in
    • knife crimes, rioting with dangerous weapons, consumption of drugs
    • rape, sexual grooming and/or sex of/with a minor, living of immoral earnings of a forced sex worker
    • criminal damage to property, assault, battery etc
    The problem in the UK is education and knowledge. If you have never ventured out of the UK to holiday in successful first world countries, you will never ever come to learn that there are better models of good governance out there. If you have to rely on your teachers for information, you will only become a carbon copy of your teacher. If you rely on the BBC, you will never increase your general knowledge because you've unknowingly allowed yourself to accept only one narrative.

Look at this post of mine as an example. Tell me that you've not learnt one single new thing. Go on. Tell me
    ITT: people getting trolled :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xelfrost)
    Actually it was a very British value at one point :^)
    So was the slave trade.

ReputationRep:
    Now that we are back in charge of our own affairs, can we start hanging people again ?
    It looks like Britian going down hill already, I wonder what other montrostities people will come up with.

ReputationRep:
    To suggest that the death penalty should not be brought back for fear of miscarriages of justice is to cast aspersions on the integrity and professionalism of the investigating police officers, the Crown Prosecution Service and the various hierarchy of the court structures which are staffed with learned judges.
    Yet neither the police, CPS nor judges have any say in the sentencing of say a murder case or rape case. Its normal everyday lay people who may well have prejudice. So yeah lets put someones life in the hands of 12 people who 99% of the time havent a clue about the law.

Its the CPS job to give the evidence but unless the evidence is concrete e.g. CCTV footage of the murder or rape etc then what exactly do you class as permissible evidence which proves beyond reasonable doubt. To bring back capital punishment and allow normal people to be the judge of that is absolutely stupid. Further to put a normal person in the position to decide whether the defendant is hanged is inhumane.

I think you made some good points and maybe there should be tougher sentencing procedures and prisons should be stricter but the capital punishment is one step in the wrong direction.

(Original post by TSRFT8)
    Yet neither the police, CPS nor judges have any say in the sentencing of say a murder case or rape case. Its normal everyday lay people who may well have prejudice. So yeah lets put someones life in the hands of 12 people who 99% of the time havent a clue about the law.

Its the CPS job to give the evidence but unless the evidence is concrete e.g. CCTV footage of the murder or rape etc then what exactly do you class as permissible evidence which proves beyond reasonable doubt. To bring back capital punishment and allow normal people to be the judge of that is absolutely stupid. Further to put a normal person in the position to decide whether the defendant is hanged is inhumane.

I think you made some good points and maybe there should be tougher sentencing procedures and prisons should be stricter but the capital punishment is one step in the wrong direction.
    Did you just complete your AQA A-level law exams? Cos it sure sounds like you've memorized huge chunks of your textbook and regurgitated it here in the form of your post. The world knows that the UK politicians, Crown Prosecution Service and the police are largely clueless. If you dangle the option of a date with the hangman's noose, people will think twice about committing a heinous crime. So until and unless the British politicians have the guts to do the right thing for the general population by bringing back the death penalty, people will continue to die by gun fights, stabbings etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think gladiatorial combat would be better, at least then you will generate income from ticket sales.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinklebot)
    I think gladiatorial combat would be better, at least then you will generate income from ticket sales.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    & merchandise too :yep:

ReputationRep:
    & merchandise too :yep:
    Ooh good idea, who doesn't want to see Rolf Harris fight Charles Bronson?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinklebot)
    Ooh good idea, who doesn't want to see Rolf Harris fight Charles Bronson?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rolf could be armed with his didgeridoo...

ReputationRep:
    Rolf could be armed with his didgeridoo...
    And Bronson, a paintbrush.

I'm getting excited already.

:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you just complete your AQA A-level law exams? Cos it sure sounds like you've memorized huge chunks of your textbook and regurgitated it here in the form of your post. The world knows that the UK politicians, Crown Prosecution Service and the police are largely clueless. If you dangle the option of a date with the hangman's noose, people will think twice about committing a heinous crime. So until and unless the British politicians have the guts to do the right thing for the general population by bringing back the death penalty, people will continue to die by gun fights, stabbings etc.
    In 2014 the murder rate in Death Penalty states was 4.75% in comparison in non death penalty states it was 3.70%. Tell me more about how much you know about Capital Punishment, and how effective it is.

Further According to the Innocence Project, an organisation dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted people, between 2.3% and 5% of all incarcerated offenders in the United States are innocent. Additionally, the killing of a human being by the state violates several human rights as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: the right to human dignity (article 1), the right to life (article 3), and the right to not to be subjected to cruel, inhuman or degrading punishment (article 5).

(Original post by TSRFT8)
    In 2014 the murder rate in Death Penalty states was 4.75% in comparison in non death penalty states it was 3.70%. Tell me more about how much you know about Capital Punishment, and how effective it is.

Further According to the Innocence Project, an organisation dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted people, between 2.3% and 5% of all incarcerated offenders in the United States are innocent. Additionally, the killing of a human being by the state violates several human rights as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: the right to human dignity (article 1), the right to life (article 3), and the right to not to be subjected to cruel, inhuman or degrading punishment (article 5).
    You clearly have a problem in comprehending arguments and facts so I'll break it down for you into smaller pieces so you don't choke on so much of information when its so close to bedtime. If Boris and his clique bring back the death penalty
    • there will be less serious crime in the UK
    • UK will become much safer for its citizens
    • with a safer society and country, there will be more inward foreign investment
    • the police can also feel safer when they're going on their patrols
    • the police don't have to be scared to enter 'no entry' zones
    • UK will become a great country again.
    Now head off to bed.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly have a problem in comprehending arguments and facts so I'll break it down for you into smaller pieces so you don't choke on so much of information when its so close to bedtime. If Boris and his clique bring back the death penalty
    • there will be less serious crime in the UK
    • UK will become much safer for its citizens
    • with a safer society and country, there will be more inward foreign investment
    • the police can also feel safer when they're going on their patrols
    • the police don't have to be scared to enter 'no entry' zones
    • UK will become a great country again.
    Now head off to bed.
    I dont understand why you are trying to belittle me when i just gave you evidence that in the US crime is infact higher in states with Capital Punishment? Im not quite sure why you are so badly advocating this barbaric punishment when it is not even used in your own country (germany).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.