Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    BoJo stands zero chance of being handed the keys to #10, you think the Tory party will let someone from nowhere suddenly become PM?

Dream on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    There are a few things I need to emphasize so I shall address them here.

1) Boris is clueless. We must not make the mistake of conflating our fondness for him with whether he has the ability to be the PM. He has never worked a day in the real world. His only 1 ½ achievements are Boris Bikes and taking the credit for the London Olympics when it should have been accorded to Ken Livingstone and Ken Livingstone alone.

2) The problem in UK when it comes to politics is that people vote according to party affiliations. If your great grandpa was Labour, so too would your grandpa, your dad and yourself. In the past, politicians did real work for the people. After Thatcher was ousted, several politicians were in it for themselves. As long as they can claim fraudulent expenses, buy multiple homes, send their children to tops UK and US unis, then only are they contented. The welfare of the people is the least of their concern.

This is the 21st century. So put aside party affiliations and look at the essence of the various pledges. Only the can you arrive at a rationale decision, free from bias. I will illustrate this using a very simple exercise.

Team A's Pledge
    • allow migrants/immigrants/asylum seekers/refugees to enter UK with ease
    • no border controls, no border checks,
    • people with criminal convictions, HIV/AIDS, links to terrorists, fraudulent education certs or fake trade skills can enter
    • pay money to Germany and France to be a member of the single market and then get some money back in the form of rebates
    • be told by Germany and France on what and what not to do
    • UK Supreme Court is no longer supreme and UK parliament is no longer sovereign
    • vile people can simply come into UK, form grooming gangs to sexually molest, rape & even murder innocent girls and then disappear
    • doctors with fake medical certs can perform operations that results in patient deaths and then disappear
    • unskilled workers, migrants etc from all over the world can take a plane to London Heathrow, get council homes, receive monetary benefits and start large families without doing any proper work to the cost of the ever-obliging & obedient British taxpayer
    • people can fly to London, receive medical treatment or go into labour and then return back to their home countries without footing the bill
    • terrorists can walk into UK, go to enclaves, promote ill-will and hatred against other races and religions, orchestrate attacks and then disappear without a trace
    Team B's Pledge
    • confer real powers on Immigration officers stationed at all points of entry into UK, to conduct checks on people wanting to enter UK.
    • With the exit and entry points secured, the new PM must sanction a joint task force operation between the (much publicized failed & powerless) Border Agency and Police forces, go into every borough and check for illegal immigrants (overstayers without valid visas), people with invalid/fake papers and without work permits, those who're wanted by the police or have jumped bail and round them up to be dealt with accordingly.
    • Provide extra funding to the General Medical Council (GMC) and empower them to conduct checks on foreign doctors and identify those with dubious qualifications and report them to the Police
    • Construct a processing centre to be located overseas which will evaluate and process all asylum claims etc. People need to know that they can't just turn up at the door and be expected to be let in.
    • Implement an Australian styled points system where people from all over the world with the necessary skills & qualifications, no criminal records, no terrorists links, no HIV/AIDS will be invited to apply for a work permit. But this is only to be done after job openings have been filled up by British citizens first and if there are vacant places, these will then be filled up by foreigners who would have passed the stringent background checks.
    So let me ask you. Which Team's pledge appeals to you? Team A or Team B? Therein lies your answer.
    Team A represents a paranoid interpretation of the EU, despite half the problems mentioned not being caused by the EU but rather by inept UK politicians left and right. We have full control over non-EU immigration which is higher than EU immigration and less beneficial economically.

My issue with a points system is that low skilled industries(fruit picking for example) rely on immigration the most as most Brits consider these jobs as being beneath them. EU migrants are also a net gain economically so I don't have a problem with free movement.

Nice try but I'll opt for neither.

(Original post by JamesN88)
    Team A represents a paranoid interpretation of the EU, despite half the problems mentioned not being caused by the EU but rather by inept UK politicians left and right. We have full control over non-EU immigration which is higher than EU immigration and less beneficial economically.

My issue with a points system is that low skilled industries(fruit picking for example) rely on immigration the most as most Brits consider these jobs as being beneath them. EU migrants are also a net gain economically so I don't have a problem with free movement.

Nice try but I'll opt for neither.
    Your bias is overwhelming. If you're biased its difficult for you to do well in your studies and also later on in adult life especially at work and/or when you start a family. Take care James.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    Your bias is overwhelming. If you're biased its difficult for you to do well in your studies and also later on in adult life especially at work and/or when you start a family. Take care James.
    I have different political opinions to yourself, it's a fact of life that you obviously can't comprehend based on yet another patronising comment.

My life tip for yourself would be to learn that people won't always agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I don't think he would be a good pm but I think he is needed politics in this country needs a shake up and boris becoming pm would send shockwaves throughout politics.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.
    It is hilarious that you don't see him for what he is. He is no different from the traditional establishment. He, much like Cameron, wanted to be PM since his time at Eton (read Runciman's Politics). He, as a journalist, was able to make catching statements that motivated the public to his cause (this is an interesting article by Cohen: <https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/boris-johnson-michael-gove-eu-liars>). As Campbell said yesterday, what he really wanted was a 51-49 split for Remain. This would be enough to undermine Cameron as leader, but not allow us to Leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    Should have read the matched betting thread first.
    Matched betting? Isn't that were you scratch around for hours looking for a £5 free bet?

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson is the chap who the day after the Hillsborough tragedy when 96 families were mourning their dead thought, as the editor of The Spectator, that the first thing to do was have an editorial slander the Liverpool supporters by inventing lies that they were urinating on the dead and dying, stealing from them etc.

Most people would have reacted by declaring their sympathy for the bereaved - not Boris . He had political points to make / invent, about Liverpool which was then under left wing leadership. What sort of person does this?

A nasty, unprincipled man.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.