Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who will be the next England manager? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who will be the next England manager?
    Gareth Southgate
    15.28%
    Harry Redknapp
    18.47%
    Alan Shearer
    17.23%
    Eddie Howe
    6.39%
    Glen Hoddle
    4.26%
    Gary Neville
    9.24%
    Someone else..
    29.13%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    We just need to accept that the pool of English players these days are pretty limited.

Therefore we need to appoint a pragmatic manager who can work out a system which gets the best out of our choice of players.
    Just think about Arsene Wenger or Jose Mourinho, but they are training in their clubs. Thus it does not make sense to waste so much thought on. In the other hand I don't know another managers who are capable of giving the English squad a plan and performing it consequently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Steve McClaren, Roy Hodgson are not celebrity managers and haven't had great club success.
    I was talking more about our approach to selecting the next England manager, as opposed to our approach in the past. Though I do see your point they were not Ancelotti's or Mourinho's. However Roy Hodgson managed 16 different teams in 8 countries. He was Europa league runner-up for both Inter Milan and also Fulham. He has also won numerous titles and he managed Finland and Switzerland very successfully. McClaren though has won no real honours, took Middlesborough to their highest ever league position.

Meanwhile after Chris Coleman left Fulham to be replaced (ironically) by Roy Hodgson. He had a dismal spell at Coventry and then went on to manage a team in the second tier of Greek football. That's like League 2 level. So again my point stands. There is no way Chris Coleman ever would've been England maanger, even if he was English!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1000)
    Meanwhile after Chris Coleman left Fulham to be replaced (ironically) by Roy Hodgson. He had a dismal spell at Coventry and then went on to manage a team in the second tier of Greek football. That's like League 2 level. So again my point stands. There is no way Chris Coleman ever would've been England maanger, even if he was English!
    I'm not sure what you are arguing here - are you saying that Coleman is the kind of manager that should be England manager? Yes he has done well with Wales but then Roy Hodgson had Switzerland ranked 3rd in the world when he was Swiss manager!

Gareth Southgate was supposedly the FA's number one choice before he ruled himself out and he has a similar standing in the game to Coleman.

I do think England need to be a bit more ambitious although it's not as easy as saying get the biggest name available. I'd be open to any of Hoddle, Klinsmann and Blanc. I'd actually be interested to see how we went under Allardyce.

With hindsight I don't think Eriksson was bad as England manager. We lost three quarter finals - one to Brazil who were the best team in the world and were genuinely ahead of us in calibre of players (we had nobody to rival Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo) and then twice to Portugal where we just lost on penalties. If we had been better at penalties we would have made at least two semi finals under Sven. We didn't get knocked out tamely as happened after Sven.

ReputationRep:
    Even at Chris Coleman's age Woy didn't exactly make such a huge impact on the Swiss team did he? Where did they finish at the 1994 WC?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty nailed on to be Klinsmann it looks like. Would be an interesting appointment- surely since Germans rarely lose, it will help us? He's quite strong minded too so won't be the cuckold of the senior players (Hart, Rooney, et al)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Klinsmann as the new England manager? seems to be an ideal solution, but I have my doubts that Klinsmann is able to form a team which is suitable for competitions.*

ReputationRep:
    Why should an England manager pick in-form players over big overrated names when the F.A. isn't even going to do it with their choice of manager?

ReputationRep:
    It seems USA are desperate to get rid of Klinsmann for whatever reason hence they seem to be hyping up his exit but Allardyce seems favourite and probably on the whole, rightly so. Too early for Howe.

Looking forward to the FA opening a TSR account to check out the opinions in this thread as they seem to be canvassing the thoughts of anyone in and out of football on who should replace Roy.

ReputationRep:
    I think that Arsene Wenger has a strong chance of coming the new manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishbashjosh1)
    I think that Arsene Wenger has a strong chance of coming the new manager.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    How?
    Because he will probably leave arsenal at some point next season and he has already been heavily linked to the England job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's 20 years since Klinsmann played for Spurs, the current Spurs players in the squad will have no connection to him at all, considering they're only 20-23 themselves.

And yes, that is a point to note. But look at Erikson and Capello. We've tried foreign, it didn't work.

We just need to give up on this notion that we're a good footballing nation. We're simply not. It's a national delusion.
    You can't write off all foreign because two didn't do very well. This whole conversation could have been different had that Lampard 'goal' actually counted. We've had plenty of English managers that have done nothing as well. The problem we have is that although the premier league is a good league most of the talent isn't English which isn't the same for virtually all of the other top leagues in Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This thread has really caught my eye and there is some really interesting opinions. First of all I am a Sunderland AFC fan so yes we always fight relegation in the Premier League but I think we have finally found a good manager in Sam Allerdyce. Whilst he was at West Ham I despised his dinosaur tactics and long ball game but he did keep them in a steady position for years and my opinion of him has changed so much since he saved Sunderland AFC from relegation. I do not think Roy Hodgeson had a clue in th slightest what he was doing infact I think the football we played was absolutely diabolcal in a sense... strikers taking corners... where do I start? Anyways I would hope that Sam Allerdyce would get his chance as I think he can change England around. Interestingly, I also think Alan Shearer absolutely got it right with his opinions on Roy and the team... for that I think he could do well if given the chance despite being a rival supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanBrandon89)
    This thread has really caught my eye and there is some really interesting opinions. First of all I am a Sunderland AFC fan so yes we always fight relegation in the Premier League but I think we have finally found a good manager in Sam Allerdyce. Whilst he was at West Ham I despised his dinosaur tactics and long ball game but he did keep them in a steady position for years and my opinion of him has changed so much since he saved Sunderland AFC from relegation. I do not think Roy Hodgeson had a clue in th slightest what he was doing infact I think the football we played was absolutely diabolcal in a sense... strikers taking corners... where do I start? Anyways I would hope that Sam Allerdyce would get his chance as I think he can change England around. Interestingly, I also think Alan Shearer absolutely got it right with his opinions on Roy and the team... for that I think he could do well if given the chance despite being a rival supporter
    I do agree but i also think that bringing in a foreign manager could help, mainly because they know how to organise a team and can notice young talent among the team. The biggest mistake roy made is bringing Rashford so late in the Iceland game which i feel any other manager would of noticed that he could make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree but i also think that bringing in a foreign manager could help, mainly because they know how to organise a team and can notice young talent among the team. The biggest mistake roy made is bringing Rashford so late in the Iceland game which i feel any other manager would of noticed that he could make a difference.
    I could not agree more with you about Rashford. Infact, im surprised I missed that out despite mentioning the corners shamble (Kane to be specific). Yeah terrible decision...

ReputationRep:
    Because he will probably leave arsenal at some point next season and he has already been heavily linked to the England job.
    Now numerous questions are raised:

1) How is he probably leaving Arsenal next season?

2) Why would he leave in the middle of the season?

3) Why would England not hire someone until well into the qualifying campaign?

4) How is Wenger heavily linked when the only information is newspapers saying the F.A. wanted him?

5) Does that mean Mourinho was "heavily linked" with Syria because they wanted him? Does that thus mean Mourinho was going to be Syria manager?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    We just need to accept that the pool of English players these days are pretty limited.

Therefore we need to appoint a pragmatic manager who can work out a system which gets the best out of our choice of players.
    The whole "English players are crap" excuse doesn't apply when you have teams with inferior squads like Wales and Iceland doing better than us. Your second paragraph is what managers should do if you have world class players anyway and it is what previous managers failed to do during the "Golden Age".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    The whole "English players are crap" excuse doesn't apply when you have teams with inferior squads like Wales and Iceland doing better than us. Your second paragraph is what managers should do if you have world class players anyway and it is what previous managers failed to do during the "Golden Age".
    But the likes of Wales and Iceland are doing exactly what I'm saying England need to do..

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36783415

Apparently the FA have been given permission to speak to Big Sam. He wouldn't have been my first choice personally (or even on my list at all most likely) but at least we'd know which style we'd be playing!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ellis Short apparently "fuming" with the FA's approach.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.