Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the next leader of the Conservative party should call a General Election Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think the next leader of the Conservative party should call a General Election
    Yes.
    64.41%
    No.
    25.37%
    I don't know.
    10.21%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by welshiee)
    This is an assumption, not a fact. Given the numerous mistakes previous administrations have made and then have still gone on to be voted back in, I'd say this is not a guarantee. You're underestimating the idiocy of the electorate.

If that party is in power, yes.

Not true at all. I for one think Cameron looks fairly decent on the world stage and a good representative of our country, even as someone that completely disagrees with his political beliefs. However, I think Boris Johnson looks like a clown and someone who will embarrass us greatly, so these things matter a lot, especially when they are the people going into key discussions and negotiations on the world stage.
    So if the leader of the ruling party changes there should be an election because apparently people think we live in a presidential system, but not other leaders, surely whenever there is a new leader people should be allowed to choose them on the basis of choosing the Pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So if the leader of the ruling party changes there should be an election because apparently people think we live in a presidential system, but not other leaders, surely whenever there is a new leader people should be allowed to choose them on the basis of choosing the Pm
    That system would be exploited completely. The opposition party could just change leaders to continuously trigger elections. If the party in power has a leader that steps down/resigns then it should be classed as a governmental crisis and trigger an automatic election. A leader is only likely to resign or step down once in power in rare circumstances anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You might have, not everyone did, and to suggest people do not vote based on the party leader is dumbfounded as best. If the party leader is not important (they are of course) then why do we have them?
    You vote for your party leader in a leadership contest. As a paid member of the Conservative party, i'll be having my say very soon.

Personally I think all the options are underwhelming. Cameron gets a lot of stick but he's done a bloody good job under the circumstances, and people will only realise this once he's gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redmonds)
    The fixed term parliament act can be repealed, there are ways of doing so. It is the duty of the next leader to call a general election. I can't think of many times in British history where parliament has had such a seeming lack of legitimacy and representative credibility. The country is severely polarised, the status quo and the political establishment have been rejected. It is absolutely fundamental that an election takes place, in order to reverse the disenfranchisement that is ripping the country apart. I don't think many feel as if the current government has a mandate anymore, it feels as if no one is in charge of the country. I'm certainly not a functionalist, but fresh leadership is key for stability.
    Or, more easily, a VONC can be passed. Don't want to see the FTPA repealed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That system would be exploited completely. The opposition party could just change leaders to continuously trigger elections. If the party in power has a leader that steps down/resigns then it should be classed as a governmental crisis and trigger an automatic election. A leader is only likely to resign or step down once in power in rare circumstances anyway.
    And then the party that keep changing leader will just grow the government majority more and more. What is so special about changing PM? If, within reason, the manifesto is still followed the only people who are going to want an election are going to be those who do not like the government and don't care about democracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Or, more easily, a VONC can be passed. Don't want to see the FTPA repealed.
    I think replacing the FTPA would be much easier, needing a simple majority of voting MPs rather than needing 434 votes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)

The key question is, why now, are you so scared of democracy?
    Err, I'm not, it's remain who want to overthrow it to remain. I believe in following the usual electoral protocol, every five years. There has always been changes of leaders in the middle of governmental terms. You can't just pick and choose due to wanting to remain and call an election because you want to out a remain government in and keep us in the EU. It will destabilize everything. I'm telling you, a remain government will not get into power, and Britain is leaving the EU. Out of interest, when wast he last election called 1 year after the previous election? Or called significantly before when the next election was meant to be called? To say that the fact the referendum was in the manifesto is nonsense, of course people voted with the full information available to them that Brexit could occur. To deny this is a bare-faced lie.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Out of interest, when wast he last election called 1 year after the previous election? Or called significantly before when the next election was meant to be called? .

BTW a Fixed Term parliament is a new thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yes... but wait until Labor are in their death throes.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Err, I'm not, it's remain who want to overthrow it to remain. I believe in following the usual electoral protocol, every five years. There has always been changes of leaders in the middle of governmental terms. You can't just pick and choose due to wanting to remain and call an election because you want to out a remain government in and keep us in the EU. It will destabilize everything. I'm telling you, a remain government will not get into power, and Britain is leaving the EU. Out of interest, when wast he last election called 1 year after the previous election? Or called significantly before when the next election was meant to be called? To say that the fact the referendum was in the manifesto is nonsense, of course people voted with the full information available to them that Brexit could occur. To deny this is a bare-faced lie.
    Why do you assume I voted remain? Why do you I assume I want a general election so a government will keep us in the EU?

The referendum was in the Conservative manifesto, I'm not even trying to deny that, what I am saying is that there was no mention of what would occur in the event of a leave vote, if there was, please show me where. As such this government had set no policy for this outcome, the manifesto no longer applies as it took EU membership into account.

All I want to see is, after such a massive change in the way laws are made and administered in this country, is the public given the chance to decide how their government should use their new powers.

Frankly I don't care if an Election now is 'destabilising' as far as I'm concerned a government with an appropriate mandate is significantly more important than that, I thought Leave voters, with their obsessive moaning about democratic deficits would understand.

ReputationRep:
    No. You voted for David Cameron to be leader of the Conservatives over a 5 year period. He has resigned and the circumstances have changed. Please do not tell us that the leader doesn't matter because none of you would have voted Conservatives if someone like Jeremy Hunt was leader.

The moment Cameron decided to resign, an automatic general election should have been called.
    No I would have voted for Jeremy Hunt. And people vote for their local MP- no one votes directly for Cameron

ReputationRep:
    the next Leader should carry on until 2020. the damage from the appalling Referendum result will need many many years to rectify.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly don't think that the Tories have to, we live in a representative democracy.

With that being said i agree with Inexorably..

(Original post by Inexorably)
    I would like another GE but I can pretty much guarantee the Labour Party will be decimated once it's over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    You vote for your party leader in a leadership contest. As a paid member of the Conservative party, i'll be having my say very soon.

Personally I think all the options are underwhelming. Cameron gets a lot of stick but he's done a bloody good job under the circumstances, and people will only realise this once he's gone.
    He's kept things together but he hasn't thrived, he's messed up a lot and he's been lucky, he hasn't led major reforms like Thatcher and Blair did, he didn't deal with a crisis like Major and Brown did, he just had the job of holding things together. He deserves little credit for the financial crisis, I think Brown deserves so much more credit for it, I do like Cameron but he won't go down in history for anything except leading a coalition, legalising gay marriage and the EU referendum (his successor will decide the legacy of that one) but he has made this country feel stable and he's created an illusion of prosperity but it's nothing more than an illusion.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't an early general election just create more uncertainty for Britain's future and maybe even more instability in the stock markets after the EU referendum?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want fox or crab that's for sure.

As for the other three which to be fair are the three favourites as the moment it depends on what their policies are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAdviser)
    Wouldn't an early general election just create more uncertainty for Britain's future and maybe even more instability in the stock markets after the EU referendum?
    Perhaps, but they won't call one anyway they have no need to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Golden)
    Do you think the next leader of the Conservative party should call a General Election?

Let's see what everyone thinks.
    Let's face it, the only reason most call for an election is because they don't like the conservatives lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Hell No! KEEP COMRADE CORBYN OUT! COMRADE CORBYN WILL START PRINTING MONEY!
    Ironic that you voted to leave the EU because of the unelected bureaucrats, yet you're advocating for the British public to deal with an unelected Prime Minister for the next 4 years..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Macmillan and Major did not call elections either. Indeed the only one who did was Eden.

I don't think either Home or Callaghan would have won.

Wilson made the White Heat of Technology speech on 19th September 1963. Denning's Profumo Report was published on 26 September 1963. Home became PM on 18th October 1963.

Wilson had barely scrapped to victory in the two 1974 elections. Between 1976 and 1977 Labour lost considerable amounts of support as Margaret Thatcher got into her stride and the economic situation deteriorated.
    Given how narrowly Labour won in 1964, I think the Tories may've just won a majority if they'd gone to the country in 1963 or earlier in 1964.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.