Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do if someone you loved got on drugs? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would you date a smackie who was once clean?
    I won't abandom them
    66.67%
    I would no longer have anything to do with them
    33.33%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Anything other than weed, I wouldn't accept. I'd force them into rehab. It would be hellish for them but you have to be cruel to be kind. If they refused help then I don't think I would stay. It's a situation I hope to never be in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you can't do anything. People who can't take care of themselves will fail eventually. It has to do with the way reality works, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    A bf/gf relationship can be srs as well wth :erm: As a human being they're still gonna need support. So you could move on knowing they're probably gonna contract disease and be left for dead frothing in a skip somewhere? All because you weren't "serious" about them? What if you dated for years? What if you planned to marry? What if you live together? How about if you have come to love them? Still a no? It's not your obligation to save anyone but I'd think someone you know. it's no different than a friend or relative.

And yes I agree slamming him in the nick doesn't help either because there they don't get rehab. They actually do drugs in prison. >_>
    There is no option in my faith to pursue a "bf/gf" type relationship, it is either friendship or marriage with no inbetween. But lets pretend, hypothetically, that I get into a non marital relationship with a man and have sex with him. If the man I was seeing and thinking of marrying suddenly became addicted to Class A drugs I would not continue to see him further or as a future potential marriage candidate? Why? Because in my faith it is important to marry another christian. Him doing drugs is showing me that his faith is not important to him at all.

As much as addiction is an illness, he would have made lots of bad choices to get to the stage of addiction and overcoming addiction requires willpower, which, if he had no intention of quitting, there wouldn't be much I could do to help him anyway.

If it was a weed addiction I might be able to cope with it, but serious stuff like cocaine and heroin? Nah, that stuff is pure evil.

class a or whizz
    def not weed lol even though I know there's some ppl who are so intolerant of drugs altogether
    but weed doesn't really **** you up like the others
    so like if you know someone who started using class a or speed/amphetamines/whizz after you got with em what would you do? cheers.
    Au contraire. Overuse can bugger you up, especially when it's the newer strains that have higher concentrations of THC and lower concentrations of the other drugs what counter the negative effects.

ReputationRep:
    Couple mates of mine went on that mcat hype a few years back, there parents tried to help them and stuff but only so much you can do especially when they stealing money and stuff. I mean I wouldn't turn my back on them I don't think. Not heard from them in about 2-3 years but I presume they are doing alright

ReputationRep:
    Yea this isn't about trying to find the harmony of the former relationship before they got on drugs. I'm asking about, relationship aside, even if you break up, would you still have them in your life simply to make sure they get clean? Yea seeking professional help, sometimes it's expensive but there's other services and contact centres, helplines etc to help poorer people get clean. Would you even bother doing that or would you just say eugh go away?

I'm not really asking about you your personal life just hypothetically can you see yourself caring for a current or former partner struggling with drugs?
    I'm a caring person in nature so I would still have them in my life to make sure they are off of drugs I will still care for a current/former partner if they were struggling with it. My ex is actually in prison so I can't go and help him but if he was out then I would still try to get him off of it if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    If they refuse to go to rehab
    Spoiler:
    Show
    leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    This isn't how addiction works. You should seek professional help immediately. Trying to manage the addiction yourself is dangerous to you and your partner.
    It depends on how the person is with drugs and without. I have broke up with him and I have nothing to do with him anymore. I helped him personally so I found it a lot easier than actually seeking professional help for him. I agree it can be dangerous but sometimes it is easier to find common ground when they are on drugs. Trying to force them into rehab or seeking professional help can do more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    Well you wont know until ya try. Some people see abandonment as tough love, like they dont wanna enable. But many times it's just downright apathy :\
    As long as you try which would involve (mainly my concern is if you lived with them beforehand) continuing to domesticate and dealing with their behaviour as they ideally attend at least NHS funded local support centres, and go to counselling and making sure they take prescribed subs like methadone and stuff. Some people just cba and leave their family or partner to it smh. If you didn't live together then still keep contact and attend some services with them, like basically being a carer :\ Would you lot do stuff like that?
    I would definitely try first. If I lived with them, I'd definitely feel as though I have a duty to take care of them. But there is always a limit.

I was actually watching a video about a divorce the other day. This lady had been with her husband for well over 10 years. He started taking drugs and at first he started lying about but eventually he admitted to it. I believe it was meth? He was starting to become quite abusive not just to her but the children too. He would snap and get angry over the smallest things. It reached a point where one of the kids was clearly becoming affected by this mentally as he would cry hysterically when the dad would have a go at him. After two years of this and of her trying over and over to help him, she divorced him. I think that's fair. She did her part but she can't keep running after him if he has given up on himself.

ReputationRep:
    This is an odd question, did you really used to be addicted to something?

ReputationRep:
    Start singing rehab by Amy Winehouse to them

ReputationRep:
    TheonlyMrsHolmes What would u do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    TheonlyMrsHolmes What would u do?
    why, what are you planning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    why, what are you planning?
    nothing im not taking drugs im pregnant remember

ReputationRep:
    I would try my best to help them (even though the smell of drugs makes me sick).
    However, if they didn't take my advice I would probably tell them to get professional help and get back to me when they are clean.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.