Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If a homeless person was begging you to buy them breakfast, would you ignore them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    No I dont see why he cant go sign on n get housing benefit these options are available to people he probs chooses to live that way.. Its easy to be a bum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh most are addicts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Only an apple?
    An apple a day :borat:

Wait can apples be bought separately?
    Naw, they grow in bunches, within plastic pods

Spoiler:
    Show
    Someone needs to visit a supermarket :gah:

ReputationRep:
    If they looked desperate, I'd probably give them some food if I had it on me (granola bar etc.).

Honestly, however, it's better to donate to soup kitchens and homeless charities than to give money or even food to people on the street. It rewards vagrancy.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm too poor myself tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh most are addicts
    True

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would not ignore him, no, i would definitely buy him breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    I would give him a loaf of bread, new clothes and a job's leaflet. At least he will have the chance for a sustainable job

ReputationRep:
    My uni is 5 minutes from McDonalds and if I have any spare cash, I'll buy a breakfast for them on my way through to lectures. I never give them money.

ReputationRep:
    So on my way,I was approached by a homeless man and was asked, if I could buy him breakfast, as he was starving, but I was shocked at the situation as I didn't know how to respond to being asked by a stranger.
    If I had money for it then yes probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Depends on :-
    Race, Sex, Age
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    I would give him a loaf of bread, new clothes and a job's leaflet. At least he will have the chance for a sustainable job
    Homeless people can't work because they have no address.

ReputationRep:
    I live an an area that has a lot of regular beggars, out of those I haven't seen one person spend money on food before alcohol.
    I also worked in a Tesco in the area and saw the same people every week come in with a bag full of 1/2/5p coins that they'd collected and spend it all on alcohol.
    A friend also told me they offered to buy a homeless person food and they said no and asked for money instead.

Obviously I'm not saying every beggar is like this but I'm yet to come across one in my area that is different, and for that reason if someone asked me to buy them food, I probably would, but if they asked for money? No chance.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't for people to judge. You can't look at a homeless individual and know the reasons why they are in that position. It isn't always cut and dried. It's not as simple as not wanting to work, or being a drug addict or being feckless. Many have mental health problems, have had traumatic lives and are unable to cope, some have no family and their homeless friends are their family.

ReputationRep:
    I'd always buy them the food first, so they can't spend my money on drugs/ alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    K...

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldn't buy them breakfast.*
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I'd feel a bit awkward if they were the one that asked me. I gave a homeless person a slab of chocolate at Christmas which they were pleased about, but they didn't ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of someone who was hungry asked for food, I would give them some. Frankly, if you even have to consider the question, you're an ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Yes, of someone who was hungry asked for food, I would give them some. Frankly, if you even have to consider the question, you're an ********.

What a rude assumption

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people here just lyingPretending to be good caring people online but the reality is, thousands of homeless people are ignored every day. I hope i'm wrong but many people here claiming they would help would just walk past without batting an eye

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.