Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brexit voters have created a new Tuition Fee Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    From what I understand UK students , while studying in Europe are meant to get the same deal (price ) as other EU residents.

Its a mute point whether UK students will even be able to study in Europe in future without having to pay the full cost (which could potentially be huge ....
    Correct. But Germany for example is afaik free to all internationals, not just EU students. Although Germany doesn't have many courses delivered in English...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Again. We are talking about cost.

But if you want to go down the UK is great for universities route, how many academics supported Leave vs Remain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lower cost = more competitive
    More competitive = more people come
    More people come = better off
    More people come = UK more of a popular choice

How is this not to do with cost?

Also, all univesities are funded by EU, what else you think they'll do, they'll try to stay in for their university funding interest.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Lower cost = more competitive
    More competitive = more people come
    More people come = better off
    More people come = UK more of a popular choice

How is this not to do with cost?

Also, all univesities are funded by EU, what else you think they'll do, they'll try to stay in for their university funding interest.
    Do you even think before typing?

"Free or cheap" isn't ever going to be price competitive with the UK's relatively high fees even taking a FX fall into account.

Also, if universities are funded by the EU where's that funding coming from after we leave the EU? The £350million is already allocated elsewhere... many times over...

Once again you think you know better than the 9 out of 10 academics who actually work in the sector you are talking about, and wanted to Remain. And a similar % of actual students also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Makes our univerities more competitive.
    Already pretty competitive tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomeoSantos)
    Already pretty competitive tbh
    Just more competitive.

(Original post by jneill)
    Do you even think before typing?

"Free or cheap" isn't ever going to be price competitive with the UK's relatively high fees even taking a FX fall into account.

Also, if universities are funded by the EU where's that funding coming from after we leave the EU? The £350million is already allocated elsewhere... many times over...

Once again you think you know better than the 9 out of 10 academics who actually work in the sector you are talking about, and wanted to Remain. And a similar % of actual students also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Listen, I'm not going to get into this madness, but your too stupid to realise how corrupt this world is and believing everything that elites say. All they want is a United States of Europe, to do that they'll need to make nations poorer to drag them in, army so they are dependent on Europe, who's in the centre? Oh thats right... Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoyM-g1DS4U

Watch this than say your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  lookson.png
Views: 52
Size:  82.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    The real shocker is that students have to pay at all for education
    The reason we have to pay now is that universities are seeing their costs gradually rise. If we have all free education at degree level, universities will not be able to take in anywhere near as many students as they can now so it's even harder to get in to university, or universities will simply collapse. It's pretty *****y for individuals that we end up being in so much debt, but I'd rather be in debt and have a degree than have no degree so I earn less in my lifetime

ReputationRep:
    Look on the bright side it's 10% cheaper to study here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
    Look on the bright side it's 10% cheaper to study here
    Not for a Brit! More likely UK Tuition fees will go up as the government is even more broke.

European study at University could soon be history.
    We doomed to a UKIP purgatory of our own making.
    Too many of us failed to vote when our country needed us the most.

ReputationRep:
    Not for a Brit! More likely UK Tuition fees will go up as the government is even more broke.

European study at University could soon be history.
    We doomed to a UKIP purgatory of our own making.
    Too many of us failed to vote when our country needed us the most.
    I understand that, I'm trying to find the bright side of the moon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    I'd rather be in debt and have a degree than have no degree so I earn less in my lifetime
    That's a rather hopeless and depressing stance TBH. The whole country is in so much debt because it is currently ruled and owned by a small minority of wealthy elite, aka the bankers and associated financial moguls, Bilderbergers etc.

We use bank notes issued by the Bank Of England, much as the USA uses the Federal Reserve. These bodies charge interest on the money they print/loan to the governments which creates never ending debt that spirals out of control. Thereby these elite end up controlling the country.

Everything else stems from that singular situation.

It CAN be turned around, and fairly quickly. It requires the chancellor to put his signature on a document which permits a National Monetary Note to be printed by our own government.

That would never happen whilst we were strangled by the EU.

It will never happen while our politicians are owned, bought and paid for by that minority elite. The system needs to change. The youth of this country are essential to that process.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    It CAN be turned around, and fairly quickly. It requires the chancellor to put his on a document which permits a National Monetary Note to be printed by our own government.
    The BoE is already owned by the government. The Governor of the Bank is appointed by the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Directors are all Crown appointments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Name:  lookson.png
Views: 52
Size:  82.5 KB
    You're a remainiac? :spank:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    I studied Germany and in Germany.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...on,_March_1933

33% is the majority. It doesn't matter how and what happened after (because those actions were made by the elected leaders, so those actions per se are technically justified!), it clearly showed that the majority of the public sympathised with Hitler. Yay democracy.
    Godwin's law just took place in a record time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    The way you said it made you sound like a smug arrogant ****, as if you were looking down on them for not wanting to go to university in Europe. Seeing as you're such a Europhile, do you speak a European language out of interest?
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't understand how that makes me sound arrogant and yes, I speak German.
    richpanda (and Plagioclase) whether or not you like Europe has nothing to do with the Brexit debate; we're talking about the European Union.

Stop conflating the two.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    Skirting over the minor detail that the UK system, a system that renders a large proportion of the UK electorate's votes invalid if they happen to be in a seat that doesn't support their party, is no more democratic than that of the EU and the fact that total national sovereignty is neither possible nor preferable in the 21st Century...
    The more sovereignty is pooled, the more undemocratic an institution becomes.
    Of course a line has to be drawn somewhere, but I'm certainly happier with our sovereignty lying with officials in this country than it lying with officials in Brussels, an extra 230 miles from London.

How is our sovereignty lying here not preferable to our sovereignty lying over there?
    How is it fair that MEPs can't even initiate, repeal or amend legislation?
    How is it fair that the member states of the EU lacks a representative in the European Commission, considering that it it illegal for a commissioner to work on our behalf?
    The European Council in which we have a representative (David Cameron) isn't even as powerful as people think it is.

How can laws possibly be tailored to the needs of the UK when it has all of the member states to consider.

(Original post by pecora)
    Are you joking? This amazingness and flawlessness "democracy", AKA populism gave us Hitler (the bad guy), Reagan (the guy who exclusively favoured the rich in America) and is about to give us Trump.

I do not believe that you would prioritise "democracy" over what you actually want to do in life. Do you honestly believe that what the majority wants is always the better option, even if that means you have to give up your innocent and personal dreams and ambitions that don't even affect others?
    f course democracy has its flaws, and of course the majority isn't always right; that's why we have to consider each situation on its own, but tell me, how is a Brexit comparable to Hitler?

How is leaving the EU comparable to fascism in the 1940s?

And how is a Brexit comparable when people might want a Brexit for economic reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    f course democracy has its flaws, and of course the majority isn't always right; that's why we have to consider each situation on its own, but tell me, how is a Brexit comparable to Hitler?

How is leaving the EU comparable to fascism in the 1940s?

And how is a Brexit comparable when people might want a Brexit for economic reasons?
    We will be, potentially deporting millions of people once their current contracts are finished. After that they will need ID cards and Visa type stuff to get into the country, and no doubt police checks on people who do not have a british accent.

Hitler got into power via a coilition with "respectable people"
    UKIP are getting into "power" via Conservative right wing and old school labour.

What happens next - who knows.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    richpanda (and Plagioclase) whether or not you like Europe has nothing to do with the Brexit debate; we're talking about the European Union.

Stop conflating the two.
    I'm not conflating the two, anybody with an interest in European unity has an interest in maintaining the European Union. Regardless of your views on Brexit, it is absolutely undeniable that leaving the European Union is the same thing as severing connections with the rest of continental Europe.

The more sovereignty is pooled, the more undemocratic an institution becomes.
    Of course a line has to be drawn somewhere, but I'm certainly happier with our sovereignty lying with officials in this country than it lying with officials in Brussels, an extra 230 miles from London.

How is our sovereignty lying here not preferable to our sovereignty lying over there?
    How is it fair that MEPs can't even initiate, repeal or amend legislation?
    How is it fair that the member states of the EU lacks a representative in the European Commission, considering that it it illegal for a commissioner to work on our behalf?
    The European Council in which we have a representative (David Cameron) isn't even as powerful as people think it is.

How can laws possibly be tailored to the needs of the UK when it has all of the member states to consider.
    Democracy is a spectrum. Too little democracy and you risk turning into a malevolent dictatorship, too much democracy and you end up with anarchy. I absolutely do not agree with the sentiment that more democracy is always objectively a good thing. I'm not arguing that we should be completely unconcerned about sovereignty and that we should give it away without a second thought, that would obviously be completely reckless. What I am arguing is that giving away a certain level of sovereignty to international bodies to tackle global issues and facilitate international cooperation is acceptable, and increasingly necessary as the ability for individual countries to do harm increases. Having heard the research that people are doing into global risks and future technology, I am absolutely, 100% convinced that the kind of sovereignty transfer that occurs as part of the EU is a justified price to pay for the reduced vulnerability against these risks. These risks are not going to go away by people burying their heads in the sand and refusing the acknowledge them or, more likely, not realising that these risks exist in the first place.

And I can only repeat this again: I am not saying and never have said that the EU is a perfect institution. What I am arguing is that international bodies like the EU are absolutely essential for the future and that the world is a much safer place with the EU than without it. My number one worry is that Britain leaving the EU sets a precedent for further isolationism which is the exact opposite kind of change that we urgently need to see.

ReputationRep:
    We will be, potentially deporting millions of people once their current contracts are finished. After that they will need ID cards and Visa type stuff to get into the country, and no doubt police checks on people who do not have a british accent.

Hitler got into power via a coilition with "respectable people"
    UKIP are getting into "power" via Conservative right wing and old school labour.

What happens next - who knows.
    I'm pretty sure we'll be respecting their "acquired rights", which comes under international law (not EU law.)

It'd be stupid not to.
    But I won't be the one of the persons deciding.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure we'll be respecting their "acquired rights", which comes under international law (not EU law.)

It'd be stupid not to.
    But I won't be the one of the persons deciding.
    Does acquired right extend to families who want to immigrate too or do we want families split up both British and non British?

ReputationRep:
    True, but normally parents pay a significant percentage of all costs.
    I doubt working in a Polish cafe will cover the costs of doing a medical degree in Poland or Holland.

In fact its probably worse then you think.

With the falling pound, there will be huge numbers of foreign students applying for places in UK universities making it harder to find a place here and more expensive over there.

Brexit is destroying the future of the next generation of students. Those who are currently 16 or 17 will be 18 when the country will most likely be in a recession beyond anything we have seen before.

Look at the person who says "it will be OK" - he has a picture of someone smoking a cigarette - Is that the type of person you can trust? Would you want him near your children with that cigarette?
    One decision does not darken another.

Besides, the future is speculation. The market often goes down because people don't want to work in that particular market. More people join that market, then it goes up. Not all doom and horror I'd say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.