Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You can check out support for this by constituency, it looks like the country votes NO, only Ilford South, Bradford West and Birmingham Ladywood have any significant support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Isn't deciding what privileges we should give to people, and what laws we enact, on the basis of their numbers in society setting a worrying and unfair precedent?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I support the petition
    :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    No. Work or quit.
    Wow. You are remarkably unpleasant.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone thinking of making a counter-petition for this? I might sign that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Anyone thinking of making a counter-petition for this? I might sign that
    It's free holiday, extend it to all and people will like Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    No.
    Turning that logic around, couldn't we quite as easily say that Christians and irreligious people are (by far) the biggest two groups in the country; therefore, you should not extend any privileges to Muslims and Hindus because they are such small percentages? You are saying that about Buddhists, Sikhs etc. in your argument, so why can't Christians and the irreligious say that about Muslims and Hindus?

Sorry, I just don't think things should be judged on numbers. Same-sex marriage probably wouldn't have been introduced if that was the case.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see an issue with it , it's one day you sad fcks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Wow. You are remarkably unpleasant.
    She is a known troll , don't take anything she says seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    I'm not sure if *everyone* needs to have the day off, especially since the date changes each year and there's always a massive debate on the exact day it should be on.

I think it's fair for Muslims to have the option though so they don't have to use their annual leave.
    Excellent point Regarding the logistics behind making eid a holiday. It wouldn't have a fixed date as ramadhan can be either 29 or 30 days. Thus it would be perhaps impossible to make it a holiday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    I don't see an issue with it , it's one day you sad fcks
    1 day that becomes many more if you don't discriminate and allow other faiths to also have their religious festivals designated national holidays.

The answer is for employers to be encouraged (or required) to be flexible around this issue.

ReputationRep:
    Yom Kippur should be a Bank Holiday too.

ReputationRep:
    Allahu Akbar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    1 day that becomes many more if you don't discriminate and allow other faiths to also have their religious festivals designated national holidays.

The answer is for employers to be encouraged (or required) to be flexible around this issue.
    Few major faiths , 2 or 3 days in the year. Muslims would take leave anyway , so it makes no difference.

ReputationRep:
    Wow... lots of Islamophobia in this thread. Looks like the Brexiter racists are out in full force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KongeyDong)
    You are painfully ignorant. I work for PwC and we allow all Muslims to have the day off on Eid, as one day out of office will mean so little to us but a lot to them. Quite frankly you're a disgrace.

This logic is so retarded lol. What about the Muslims that were born here? They have grown up in this country, and have seen us have the pleasure of having Xmas off and then being denied time off themselves on their holy day? At the very least they should be given the day off without having to take annual leave. There are around 3 million Muslims in the UK and a whole lot less Buddhists, so I don't think you can compare the two.
    Of course I can compare the two. Muslims are humans, Buddhists are humans, both sets of people are exact equals. If you give something to one you must give it to the other as well because both are equal. It doesn't matter how many there are, you must treat both equally. Put it this way, if you're a parent and you have two daughters and a son do you treat the daughters better because there's more of them? Of course you don't. Likewise, if you make Eid a national holiday then you must also make every full moon a national holiday because they're just as important to us as Eid is to Muslims. But that's neither feasible nor sensible is it? Not at all.

If you cannot make both full moons and Eid a national holiday (as well as every other religion's special days) then you mustn't make any of them a national holiday because that would be giving one group special privileges and superiority over all others. Even from a Muslim perspective this still applies. In Islam a husband must treat all of his wives equally, well here the country is the husband and the religions are the wives. It would be un-Islamic to make Eid a national holiday in a Christian country for this very reason.

The reason why times like Easter and Christmas are national holidays is because since the end of the Roman times (at the very least) this country has been a Christian one. While we're predominantly an atheist nation now, these traditions have become an important part of our culture and changing this would be unthinkable. Besides, because it's a cultural tradition now and not a religious one, and because all religious groups get these holidays off, it's fair to everyone. Making Eid a national holiday is neither, so it would be a slap across the face for 95% of the population. It just wouldn't be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    That wouldn't really make much sense considering how small the Chinese population is. Muslims on the other hand are 5% of the total population.
    what is the requisite percentage to be entitled to a free holiday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    what is the requisite percentage to be entitled to a free holiday?
    There isn't one. 5% is certainly big enough though
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Imho, they should scrap half term and give all religious/ cultural days off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Imho, they should scrap half term and give all religious/ cultural days off
    Unrealistic

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.