Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Greatest Footballer of All Time Watch

ReputationRep:
    Messi.

His style is so simplistic it's out of this world. All the other players make what they do look hard, Messi is only one who makes it look easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Most TSR users are too young to remember Maradona, but I definitely recommend watching a fair bit of Maradona footage, in my opinion he was an upgraded version of Messi.
    If, by 'upgraded', you mean 'without the goals and the longevity'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Wasn't Laudrup the great unfulfilled talent? Did nothing at Juventus after Platini left and only turned it on when he felt like it.

You can't demean Zidane to that extent, he was the best player of the late 90s and early 00s, and arguably the best big-game player of all time.
    Zidane's big game CV doesn't match Iniesta's, and he wasn't 'the best player' of the late 90s or early 2000s. I understand you're a Madrid fan so you'll find this hard to take but nobody was speaking about Zidane as the best player in the world during his time at Juventus. The Fifa awards are a farce (and they would pick anybody to spite the BdO organisation), and the BdO award is a popularity contest anyway. Now at Madrid, he did progress and he does have an undeniably great record in big games, but rarely did he put together more than a year of consistent excellence.

ReputationRep:
    Easily Messi.

ReputationRep:
    best player has got to be Zidane

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to say but in a conversation where many of the players have magnificent technical ability and/or influence over the game I'd probably look to actual output as a way to distinguish them. That means goals, individual awards and feats, trophies.

Bearing that in mind, you can narrow it down to Messi, Pele, Garrincha, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer. I mean there are a few more you could add or you could cut off Best, Di Stefano, but this is more or less the list that you should be coming out with.

To my mind it's between Messi and Maradona. The thing that keeps Maradona in the equation is the reverence that the older generation speak of him with. There's a scientifically proven bias of 'nostalgia' where people tend to favour memories (demonstrated by sport in the trials) from their late teens and early 20s more than anything, and their youth more than their older ages. You can probably see this nowadays with so many people favouring Zidane, Ronaldinho and Madrid's version of Ronaldo 9, when compared to almost unarguably better players today like Iniesta, Messi and Cristiano. I will concede that Iniesta-Zidane is closer than the other two. Despite this bias, the reverence that players and fans alike hold Maradona in is something else. Maradona had great contemporaries. Zico and Platini would be universally regarded as top 5 all time, were it not for Maradona's 1986 tournament. And despite the great players of his time, Diego is the only one people name as the greatest. Those from Pele's era will always grumble about Garrincha and Di Stefano, those from Messi's era will point to Zidane, and the two Ronaldos, but nobody from Maradona's era would ever question his dominance. Messi has freakish physical and technical abilities, can score more goals than anybody in football history, and also excels at every other tangible aspect of the game to an all time great's standard. But despite his unprecedented feats, he hasn't converted the Maradona faithful. I don't know the answer but they'd be the top two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SUGar Daddy)
    Difficult to say but in a conversation where many of the players have magnificent technical ability and/or influence over the game I'd probably look to actual output as a way to distinguish them. That means goals, individual awards and feats, trophies.

Bearing that in mind, you can narrow it down to Messi, Pele, Garrincha, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer. I mean there are a few more you could add or you could cut off Best, Di Stefano, but this is more or less the list that you should be coming out with.

To my mind it's between Messi and Maradona. The thing that keeps Maradona in the equation is the reverence that the older generation speak of him with. There's a scientifically proven bias of 'nostalgia' where people tend to favour memories (demonstrated by sport in the trials) from their late teens and early 20s more than anything, and their youth more than their older ages. You can probably see this nowadays with so many people favouring Zidane, Ronaldinho and Madrid's version of Ronaldo 9, when compared to almost unarguably better players today like Iniesta, Messi and Cristiano. I will concede that Iniesta-Zidane is closer than the other two. Despite this bias, the reverence that players and fans alike hold Maradona in is something else. Maradona had great contemporaries. Zico and Platini would be universally regarded as top 5 all time, were it not for Maradona's 1986 tournament. And despite the great players of his time, Diego is the only one people name as the greatest. Those from Pele's era will always grumble about Garrincha and Di Stefano, those from Messi's era will point to Zidane, and the two Ronaldos, but nobody from Maradona's era would ever question his dominance. Messi has freakish physical and technical abilities, can score more goals than anybody in football history, and also excels at every other tangible aspect of the game to an all time great's standard. But despite his unprecedented feats, he hasn't converted the Maradona faithful. I don't know the answer but they'd be the top two.
    Very good post

Edit: FFS if I knew it was you SUG, I wouldn't have complimented you

ReputationRep:
    Zidane's big game CV doesn't match Iniesta's,
    No, it surpasses it.

He was the main man on Bordeaux's run to the UEFA cup final in 1996

He put in a stellar performance in Juventus' semi-final win against Ajax in 1997

He scored those 2 goals in the world cup final against Brazil in 1998

He was man of the match against both Spain and Portugal in the Euro 2000 quarter finals and semi finals respectively

He got that away goal at the nou camp in the 2002 Champions League semi final

He scored the winning goal in the 2002 champions league final

He saved France with that brace when they were minutes away from losing to England in euro 2004.

He dominated Spain, Brazil and Portugal on the road to the 2006 world cup final.

Iniesta is a wonderful player, but he doesn't put in as many match-winning displays on the big stage as Zidane used to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    No, it surpasses it.

He was the main man on Bordeaux's run to the UEFA cup final in 1996
    He put in a stellar performance in Juventus' semi-final win against Ajax in 1997
    He scored those 2 goals in the world cup final against Brazil in 1998
    He was man of the match against both Spain and Portugal in the Euro 2000 quarter finals and semi finals respectively
    He got that away goal at the nou camp in the 2002 Champions League semi final
    He scored the winning goal in the 2002 champions league final
    He saved France with that brace when they were minutes away from losing to England in euro 2004.
    He dominated Spain, Brazil and Portugal on the road to the 2006 world cup final.
    Iniesta is a wonderful player, but he doesn't put in as many match-winning displays on the big stage as Zidane used to.
    Iniesta scored the 90th minute tie-winner in the CL semis vs Chelsea
    Iniesta was Player of the Tournament at Euro 2012
    Iniesta was MOTM in the Euro 2012 final
    Iniesta was MOTM in 2015 CL final
    Iniesta was MOTM 2010 World Cup final
    Iniesta scored the winner 2010 WC final
    Iniesta was UEFA's 'best player of CL' in 2012

This is just tournament-wide recognition, and finals performances, with the Chelsea goal added in because I loved it. I haven't even gone deep down searching for greatness like you did with 'stellar performance' or 'did great in run to a final' or 'scored goals in the group stage of a game', or looked at Iniesta's Clasico performances, or Iniesta's performances with Spain in lower rounds.

Zidane's big game CV is not greater than Iniesta's. At the least you could argue that they've both excelled in big games, and at most you could argue Iniesta excelled much more.

ReputationRep:
    If, by 'upgraded', you mean 'without the goals and the longevity'.
    Messi played for a better team than Maradona hence the goals. Maradona won a World Cup and won Serie A with Napoli virtually as a one man team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Messi played for a better team than Maradona hence the goals. Maradona won a World Cup and won Serie A with Napoli virtually as a one man team.
    The one man team bit is revisionism, Messi playing for a better team cannot be attributed as the sole reason for him scoring more goals, and Maradona winning a World Cup is of course a valid plus point for him. I did go into a bit of detail earlier up the page why I'd have those two as my top two.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by greatest I guess. If you mean the most consistently amazing player, then I'd probably go with Zidane, Iniesta or maybe Messi. Personally, I'd say that what makes a player great is the ability to single-handedly turn a game on its head. By that measure, I'd suggest Ibrahimovic, Cruyff or Ronaldinho. They may not have been as consistently brilliant as some other players, but those three had an ability to carry a team if they were on it, in a way I just don't think anyone else can.

ReputationRep:
    Iniesta scored the 90th minute tie-winner in the CL semis vs Chelsea
    Iniesta was Player of the Tournament at Euro 2012
    Zidane was player of the tournament at Euro 2000 AND the 2006 World Cup
    Iniesta was MOTM in the Euro 2012 final
    Zidane was MOTM in the 1998 WC Final
    Iniesta was MOTM in 2015 CL final
    Zidane was MOTM in the 2002 CL final
    Iniesta was MOTM 2010 World Cup final
    Iniesta scored the winner 2010 WC final
    Zidane scored the crucial 2 goals in the 1998 WC final
    Iniesta was UEFA's 'best player of CL' in 2012
    The award didn't exist in Zidane's time but if it did, he would most likely have won in 2002.

This is just tournament-wide recognition, and finals performances, with the Chelsea goal added in because I loved it. I haven't even gone deep down searching for greatness like you did with 'stellar performance' or 'did great in run to a final' or 'scored goals in the group stage of a game', or looked at Iniesta's Clasico performances, or Iniesta's performances with Spain in lower rounds.

Zidane's big game CV is not greater than Iniesta's. At the least you could argue that they've both excelled in big games, and at most you could argue Iniesta excelled much more.
    As I've shown above, even going by your barometres, Zidane still comes out on top.

ReputationRep:
    Utterly utterly stupid thread to create asking a forum populated with people under 25 who is the greatest. Of COURSE people here are going to say Messi or Ronaldo, who here is going to say Pele or Maradona?? No one here saw them play, pointless.

There is obviously a generational bias when it comes to GOAT arguments, but a good number of people over 50 do say Messi/Ronaldo, but very very few people our age are going to say Pele or Maradona.

So yes nostalgia comes into play, but so to does the "here and now" crowd claiming everything CURRENT is the greatest ever.

ReputationRep:
    If you're asking me personally, Pele, Maradona and Messi are all in the top 3 equally and you can put them in any order you like, all strong GOAT contenders.

However I disagree with the Messi fanboys who say he is CLEARLY the best ever, and get angry if you DARE suggest anyone else.

It appears football doesn't have an outright obvious GOAT like Ice Hockey with Wayne Gretzky or Basketball with Michael Jordan.

ReputationRep:
    Why Pele and not Eusebio?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.