Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why there will be no Brexit...but lots of chaos for five years if we leave. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    Not sure that 'necessity' will miraculously make it worthwhile manufacturing basic goods in the UK when it can be done and IS done far cheaper in other parts of the world. Basic understanding of competition says that's a bad move, you'd have to be a bit thick to invest in basic industries here. Look at the steel industry recently - a glut of cheap steel in China completely undermined steel in the UK and caused the losses of hundreds of jobs. It's a really, really bad direction to move in.
    This demonstrates how price is not the only factor to consider when buying goods. There are wider considerations. Some of them are moral.

Buying cheap foreign goods results in loss of local jobs as you point out. It sees the destruction of local trades and professions, some of which have been going for 100s of years. Supermarkets destroyed the dairy industry and most of our local butchers, greengrocers, fishmongers and the like.

Like most I thought supermarkets were good initially. They were cheap, convenient and seemingly innocent. However, we have since learned to our cost the damage we have done to ourselves in choosing cheap price over the moral decision to support local trades.

Buying foreign results in job losses here. Job losses here results in poverty, unrest and an increase in crime, which in turn puts up insurance costs for all of us and has other impacts. It weakens us as a country.

In Japan citizens are forced to buy certain goods from their own country. They thereby ensure good national industry.

In the end we either care for our own or we don't. We either fight and maintain our British identity and recognise that it means something, or we abandon it and say that it's every man for himself globally and that it doesn't matter whether a UK job is fulfilled by a UK national or someone from half way around the globe.

Strength comes from unity of a collective of people, it always has done. When people have a common set of aims and beliefs/traditions they are able to co-exist and fend off foreign invaders.

Bottom line then is that it doesn't matter if some Chinese company can make something cheaper than we can. We don't help each other or our country/situation if we choose to buy those cheap products. There is more at stake than price. We need to buy products with the understanding that buying British first and foremost must be the preferred option which supports local business, preserves British jobs and leads to its prosperity.

We need to restore manufacturing in this country and we need to change our mindsets about where we buy products from. There is plenty we can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The Nissan factory in Sunderland builds more cars than Italy.

1.6 million cars were built in the UK last year. That is the same as 1970
    Are you sure Nissan makes 1mil cars in Sunderland??
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    Bottom line then is that it doesn't matter if some Chinese company can make something cheaper than we can. We don't help each other or our country/situation if we choose to buy those cheap products. There is more at stake than price. We need to buy products with the understanding that buying British first and foremost must be the preferred option which supports local business, preserves British jobs and leads to its prosperity.

We need to restore manufacturing in this country and we need to change our mindsets about where we buy products from. There is plenty we can do.
    ...erm, I think this is slightly mad. We should just start manufacturing things people actually need and want and which ARE worth making here.

None of us can afford to prop up industries which are unprofitable and pay way over the odds purely to keep it going. I certainly have no intention of doing so. We'd also never be able to export anything, which is where some of our money comes from! We'd all be poorer, as individuals and also the nation as a whole would be poorer because nobody elsewhere would be insane enough to buy from us.

This weird obsession with "restoring manufacturing" - things ARE made here, in the UK. However they are not the same things as used to be made here. They tend to be higher end items which require specific skills that the UK can offer, and which mean it's actually profitable to manufacture them as a business. It's basic economics. I understand what you're saying but rather than arguing we should be making things which it's completely nonsensical to make here, we should be focussing on making things which it DOES make sense to make here. There is plenty of manufacturing in this country.

Ideally you'd want lots of investment in small business and start-ups, and you'd want more investment in technology development in Universities and so on, in order to encourage this.

However the banks are even more reluctant to lend now that Brexit has cast a huge cloud over our economy, we've less spare money to invest due to massive devaluation of the pound, and we've lost the confidence of international investors and of course all the EU investment that used to go into things like University tech development.

Brexit has in many ways been one of the most stupid things you could possibly do if you genuinely wanted to 'encourage manufacturing' in this country... it wasn't a passport to go back in time 100 years to the industrial revolution and hope the rest of the world would do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Nissan and jaguar Land Rover combined produce 1 million cars per year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Nissan and jaguar Land Rover combined produce 1 million cars per year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm well aware of that, however it was claimed that Nissan in Sunderland produces more cars than Italy does.

I'm curious since when did Nissan produce 1 mil cars in UK.

ReputationRep:
    Life isnt risk free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by WW3IsComing)
    Life isnt risk free
    ????

ReputationRep:
    I'm well aware of that, however it was claimed that Nissan in Sunderland produces more cars than Italy does.

I'm curious since when did Nissan produce 1 mil cars in UK.
    It obviously has never made 1 million cars but I have heard that Nissan/Italy fact before.

And it's true Italy produced 485k of cars in a year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am sure that Italy doesn't make a million cars a year.

In fact in 2015 Italy did overtake Sunderland in car production for the first time n several years as Sunderland production slowed due to refitting and Italy production massively expanded.

2012 Italy 396,817 Sunderland 510,572
    2013 Italy 388,465 Sunderland 501,756
    2014 Italy 401,317 Sunderland 500,238
    2015 Italy 663,139 Sunderland 476,589

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I am sure that Italy doesn't make a million cars a year.

In fact in 2015 Italy did overtake Sunderland in car production for the first time n several years as Sunderland production slowed due to refitting and Italy production massively expanded.

2012 Italy 396,817 Sunderland 510,572
    2013 Italy 388,465 Sunderland 501,756
    2014 Italy 401,317 Sunderland 500,238
    2015 Italy 663,139 Sunderland 476,589
    I always thought Fiat and Alfa Romeo produced far more cars than that.

Guess most are no longer made in Italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theplace)
    There is a probability that the uk will be left worse off, and with nothing that it wants.
    The gov has created a huge problem where most people are concerned about the effect on families, spouses, girlfriends, children, all who felt safe being connected by eu 'citizenship'. There will be a cut off, a big rush, chaos, and a case of musical chairs. Big business can go anywhere, they are pressing for certainty only see which beneficial,place they can more,to next.
    Can you quote source that says "Most people"?

Because, were I so inclined, I could quote a very democratic study that showed most people were not as concerned about keeping their European citizenship as you suggest.

There was a referendum. Not that long ago - Most voted to leave. This is based on a sample size of over 33 million people. Perhaps you have some study of 35 million people? Some evidence that included a higher sample size? Otherwise, I would suggest your 'most' is actually just 'An untrue statistic I hope nobody calls me on.'

ReputationRep:
    I always thought Fiat and Alfa Romeo produced far more cars than that.

Guess most are no longer made in Italy.
    Fiat only makes 653,212 cars worldwide and Alfa 56,688.

For comparison Jaguar Land Rover makes 489,923 without any entry level models.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.