Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you class buying expensive clothes as rubbish Watch

ReputationRep:
    I buy about 60% of my clothes from charity and vintage shops. I can get good quality clothes from a charity shop near where I live which gets lots of donations. The clothes often still have tags on them because they are returns or unwanted gifts. I can wear clothes that are good brands like Marks and Spencer, Laura Ashley, Monsoon etc for a fraction of their original cost. My friend spends a fortune on top brands. She paid £200 for a Chanel dress and £300 for a Gucci dress. Seriously, we went out a few weeks ago and she was wearing the £200 Gucci dress and I was wearing a Monsoon dress that I paid £4.99 for from the charity shop. I look absolutely stunning in it and got lots of compliments. My friend was looking at me all night secretly jealous.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me I'm 20 at the moment I probably wouldn't grow no more, when I was younger I'll usually buy **** quality clothes also house of Fraser do some nice clothes aswell

ReputationRep:
    I really like the quality of expensive jackets and jeans expensive shorts ain't worth it

ReputationRep:
    Expensive jeans are pointless.

However, investing a bit more money in decent jackets and shoes is worth it imo.

ReputationRep:
    Never thought about shopping on charity clothes, I bet the Gucci dress is better quality and the fits perfect

ReputationRep:
    Trust me 2k is a lot the most I'll spend is £200

ReputationRep:
    The difference is big £100 jeans look awesome the quality a there aswell

ReputationRep:
    Expensive jackets fits are nice

ReputationRep:
    Trust me man quality over quantity it will last a lot longer then cheap clothes clothing is an ivesrment

ReputationRep:
    I think it comes down to personal choice but for me I don't really see the point in spending a fortune on an item of clothing just because it's a particular label if I can get something similar for a lot less. The only time I really go for designer labels is if I see something I like in a sale.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true but you got to keep it to a certain level like buy superdry quality clothes a jackets £80 not to expensive but not to cheap and shopping in sales the way forward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Foolish.
    Spending £100+ on some shirt with the word Superdry on them Is stupid. but sometimes quality stuff is for a high price, I got a ski jacket from a friend that costed over £300 and it is the warmest thing ever even when I went to Germany and it was so cold I was boiling.

Depends what you are buying and what quality it is.
    I bought jogger bottoms from misguided for £15 and they ripped within 2 weeks. Bought another pair of joggers from superdry for £55 and I've had them for a year now and they haven't ripped.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me expensive clothes are made of better materials it would last longer ,you get what you payed for in the end you save money

ReputationRep:
    Not jeans, I rip them way too often for that. Shoes, Shirts and Suits definitely and the odd polo/ hoodie from Ralph Lauren or Jack Wills If I fancy a treat!

ReputationRep:
    When I get a hole in them I always repair them, jack wills & Ralph Lauren are good brands quality is top notch

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the make i'll sometimes justify it, for instance I always found things like RL and Burberry to be superior in terms of quality.

ReputationRep:
    I rip my jeans when I fall down, Ralph Lauren polos are too expensive for me

ReputationRep:
    Same I go dry cleaners to repair them, I know both are good quality brands I ain't really tried Jack willis are they expensive

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's true got a couple ralphy hats there good quality ain't touched Barbour yet

ReputationRep:
    Depends if it is expensive for the sake of it, or if it is expensive because it is very high quality and will last a long time.

If I paid £150 on a jacket I'd expect it to last for years and still look great.

Buying for just the label though I think is foolish and a waste of money if it' not a quality item or won't be used much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.