TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    Knocked off my bike by a car (they were drunk!) yesterday... Nothing broken but in so much pain. Exams in 3 days, this is literally not what i need now at all!*
    That's horrible hope you feel better by exams! *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuttyneuron)
    That's horrible hope you feel better by exams! *
    Me too... If you see a cripple with a bandaged elbow/arm thats me haha.*
    I've still got dermatology to properly tackle and learn :/*

ReputationRep:
    Knocked off my bike by a car (they were drunk!) yesterday... Nothing broken but in so much pain. Exams in 3 days, this is literally not what i need now at all!*
    Ouch! Hope you recover quickly. Have you let the med school know in case you need extra time etc?

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody please update me to paeds ST2? Peninsula seems like a distant pleasant dream now....

And I'll not hear any of this *****ing about how much content there is to learn in paeds :P it's totally worth it, it's the best job in the world! #babiesrule #paedsrocks

ReputationRep:
    Please could I be updated to UCL 2nd year

ReputationRep:
    Oh no's!

Have you applied for a mitigating circumstances thing? Maybe it'll help somehow...?

ReputationRep:
    Then you'll be the first medical student ever to do so. Even budding dermatologists can't actually face this task.

ReputationRep:
    If it's dry, wet it +/- steroids, sunshine.
    If it's wet, dry it +/- steroids, sunshine.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

UNLESS the problem was originally caused by too much sunshine. In which case, replace with sunscreen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    UNLESS the problem was originally caused by too much sunshine. In which case, replace with sunscreen
    Shh. I obviously wasn't paying attention in that second day of the three days we get in dermatology in the entire medical curriculum. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Shh. I obviously wasn't paying attention in that second day of the three days we get in dermatology in the entire medical curriculum. :ninja:
    We got FIVE days, so clearly that made all the difference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Then you'll be the first medical student ever to do so. Even budding dermatologists can't actually face this task.

haha that is literally all in know and if its scaly on and the face its more than like that type of dermatitis
    I'm so glad its MCQ's and not essays, my essay would literally go... It is a red rash, a red that that is dry. Therefore, we like to keep it wet.
    Or eczema is bad, eczema make children cry, use cream *

ReputationRep:
    Passed all my first year exams (wooo!!) Can you update me to 2nd year QUB? Bring on round 2 in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doc2be)
    Passed all my first year exams (wooo!!) Can you update me to 2nd year QUB? Bring on round 2 in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well done! It really is the best feeling x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone use CAGE in an alcohol history OSCE or do you prefer AUDIT-C?
    Rumour in our year is that they don't like CAGE at all - but then we have never formally been taught how to take an alcohol history.

AUDIT-C seems, to me, overly complicated to interpret properly within an OSCE station. (Presuming you are not provided the template & marking criteria)

ReputationRep:
    I'll shortly be FY1 Scotland not intercal year..... as I FINALLY have been allocated a job (YEAH) which is actually totally fine even if not my first choice job or city but have been guaranteed I can handpick my FY2 jobs as compensation for how royally they've ****ed me over.

Woo hooooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Just 48 hours left of non-married life. What what what what. :eek3: Might start studying for my resit just to distract myself...
    Congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I'll shortly be FY1 Scotland not intercal year..... as I FINALLY have been allocated a job (YEAH) which is actually totally fine even if not my first choice job or city but have been guaranteed I can handpick my FY2 jobs as compensation for how royally they've ****ed me over.

Woo hooooo
    Excellent news! Hope that the job works out well for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Congrats
    Thanks.

We're about to have wedding leftovers and then wedding cake as a late evening snack. :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheartat20)
    Does anyone use CAGE in an alcohol history OSCE or do you prefer AUDIT-C?
    Rumour in our year is that they don't like CAGE at all - but then we have never formally been taught how to take an alcohol history.

AUDIT-C seems, to me, overly complicated to interpret properly within an OSCE station. (Presuming you are not provided the template & marking criteria)
    I wouldn't ad lib AUDIT-C, that's a bit ridiculous. For alcohol screening there's no real problem with CAGE - it's very sensitive and specific (about 90% for each). Not sure why a university would disagree with something like CAGE. Simplicity for tools isn't something that's a bad thing...

Rumours are probably rumours. Somebody probably did a history in front of some OTT gastro reg who didn't like CAGE and it spread from there.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.