Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone interested in learning to program in Python over the summer?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not been around here much before, but this is just what I'm doing over the summer I'd love to learn together with you all, so I'm in!

I'm an amateur programmer and so far I've been doing a mix of Python (just for lols), HTML/CSS (planning to eventually try and build a writing forum for some friends), and C# (in Unity Game Editor, for working on the million ideas I have for VR). It's hella exciting. Very hard for somebody with a bookish, technophobic, non-mathematical mind like mine, but I love it much more than I thought I would, and these three seem like a good mix of languages to be starting out with.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Certainly.
    Fair enough. This is a cool idea and I really hope more people join in

Currently using VB 2015, but PyCharm looks really cool

ReputationRep:
    Yay I want to start

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any idea were a novice should start.
    Pretty excited lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNervous)
    Any idea were a novice should start.
    Pretty excited lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What I did is go on CodeAcademy to just get the hang of the basics, then downloaded an IDE and I'm using books (the one the OP recommended is pretty good) to learn the rest. There are also YouTube tutorials for you

ReputationRep:
    Was planning on learning python over the summer, so this is useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    What I did is go on CodeAcademy to just get the hang of the basics, then downloaded an IDE and I'm using books (the one the OP recommended is pretty good) to learn the rest. There are also YouTube tutorials for you
    Thanks a lot. Codeacademy seems great. I've already started it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be learning Python through the lectures and problem sets at MIT OpenCourseWare during the summer holiday now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd recommend learning some form of version control - GitHub is a great one. It'll come in handy when you're applying for jobs too.

https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/ - IDE (checkout PhpStorm if you're using PHP instead of Python to build a web app, JetBrains has quite an impressive list of applications and plugins support which you can checkout* - and if you're a student, you get a free license). Again, comes in handy when applying for jobs, plenty of developers use this professionally. Built in CLI, version control and various other integrations including databases and plugins, server setup etc. **

* https://www.jetbrains.com/products.html
    ** best used on Mac/Linux unless you're heading towards .NET...

ReputationRep:
    in my want to learnjavascript more atm
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by banterboy)
    in my want to learnjavascript more atm
    If you're new to JS, try the Code Academy lessons then move on to JS frameworks. For reactive, Vue.js is awesome. Have a look at Angular.js and Node.js as well. These are in high demand when applying for jobs. Maintain your progress on GitHub. Have a look at PhpStorm* or WebStorm for your IDE.

* Laracasts is brilliant for learning if you want to head in that direction. There's also egghead.io as an alternative.

EDIT: If the ones I mentioned are too complex, then start with jQuery after learning the JS fundamentals.

ReputationRep:
    Well tonight I made a 2-player text-based noughts and crosses game. If anyone wants to play about with the code, here it is:I may come back and add an AI or some pygame graphics at some point, but this was my project for tonight. Good luck everyone in your own projects

ReputationRep:
    For complete newcomers I would recommend CodeAcademy. Very useful source. One you've learned the foundations from there, you can step it up and learn more complex programming.

I myself am currently doing C# (for iOS and Andrioid development) much easier to learn C# and use Xamarin than to individually learn Swift, Java and Objective-C, that's my opinion anyway. Though I will be starting Java too some time soon, as it is the go-to language these days, quite essential and I believe the main language my university (if I get in) uses (KCL)

Also, PHP looks quite interesting. Though I will leave that for towards the end of the year

This sounds like fun.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    kidding!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    For complete newcomers I would recommend CodeAcademy. Very useful source. One you've learned the foundations from there, you can step it up and learn more complex programming.

I myself am currently doing C# (for iOS and Andrioid development) much easier to learn C# and use Xamarin than to individually learn Swift, Java and Objective-C, that's my opinion anyway. Though I will be starting Java too some time soon, as it is the go-to language these days, quite essential and I believe the main language my university (if I get in) uses (KCL)

Also, PHP looks quite interesting. Though I will leave that for towards the end of the year
    i recommend computer science circls, it is better than codeacademy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrifeye)
    Well tonight I made a 2-player text-based noughts and crosses game. If anyone wants to play about with the code, here it is:I may come back and add an AI or some pygame graphics at some point, but this was my project for tonight. Good luck everyone in your own projects
    That's really interesting Have you tried shortening your code? It looks too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grimm Reaper)
    Well I'm at the moment learning Html code and will learn all the other code as well i.e c++, java, python etc... once I'm finished with Html

*Self taught programmer*
    me 2 im currently learning html what topic are you currently learning.

ReputationRep:
    im learning html aswell and then i will be going on to css, javascript,jquery but i am aiming by the end of the summer to complete html, css and javascript, do you guys think i can do it? Also, how long do you guys think it will take me to learn each type of code and im not just learning the basics i am doi as a hobby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    I hate python, was lied to in gcse Computer Science saying we will build virtual games and do other cool stuff but all we did was Python. Learning how to code some pointless reciept or how to calculate something like just go use a calculator Python is basically word document guys, so don't expect anything special (even word has more features like colour and pictures!)
    Lol languages are becoming more and more English based there than binary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)

I myself am currently doing C# (for iOS and Andrioid development) much easier to learn C# and use Xamarin than to individually learn Swift, Java and Objective-C, that's my opinion anyway.

Pls don't use Xamarin, it's really bad. There's no need to know both iOS and android development at once, knowing one of them (preferably android) is good enough. Learn Java instead and use android studio to develop the apps. It's way easier.

& apart from Facebook who is forced to use php, almost nobody else does. Learn Python instead and u can create web servers using Django, or node js or even use Java frameworks out there.

Posted from my phone, excuse my typo's

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.