Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

27% of young people (under 25) voted to Leave - has anyone met any of these 27%? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    I am 19 starting my degree in computer science.
    Got maximum grade for my course at college.

I voted leave for a simple reason.

28 people from different countries all have different priorities and it cannot be in our Intrest to be a member if the 27others have different priorities.

Example:

The U.K. Wants a free trade deal with say Australia because we want really cheap crocodile skin wallets however another EU country France sells them as well but their ones are not quite as good.

They would never support this deal meaning we would never get the free trade agreement for wallets we wanted.

(Bad example i know but the basic idea is there).

28 different ideas cannot produce the drive and direction of one
    If you want an example all you gave to look at is any FTA negotiation where you end up having a minor country hold it to ransom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, from London, live in London and will be going to University in London in September.

My reasons for voting Leave: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4182365

ReputationRep:
    Oh ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    I've not met a single one.

Anyone under 25 care to own up why you did it and what is your background (granduate, unemployed, location) - Give us a clue..

Biggest leave voting areas Boston and Great Yarmouth.
    Any young people from those town? Gut feeling is they are not particularly poor areas - pretty average.

cheers FredOrJohn
    I know 4 people who support Brexit but they're all 16 so can't vote, i couldn't either. It's also odd because I live in Scotland which obviously voted majority to remain. But Brexit supporters are much more vocal than remainers mostly if I'm honest and generally I know more remain supporters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I don't disagree, but they still aren't.
    Care to explain? Our MPs are now the only ones who will be formulating our day to day legislation

ReputationRep:
    It was expected by both sides that there would be short-term economic turbulence, almost entirely as a result of market confidence. This will stabilise as our future becomes more certain in the coming months and years and is a price worth paying for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    Your uncle started in finance at -5!! That really is impressive

I am sick of this leave voters are stupid argument though, I personally think that far too many of the public (on both sides) acted stupidly in this referendum. My experience has been that very few people conducted a properly critical evaluation of the facts to arrive at an informed decision. Lots of people I met couldn't see past the issue of immigration, or the uncertainty of leaving and even a few research scientists friends of mine (one a Cambridge educated doctor) didn't look enough into some of the corruptness because the loss of EU grants was the only real issue for them. Regardless of any of this, or anything else people have to say about it why the **** does it even matter now?
    Indeed many people said "red tape" and "rules and regs" and did not even look at the Echa website.

http://echa.europa.eu/

Having worked all over the EU as an IT consultant I know what I am losing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    I'm 18, from London, live in London and will be going to University in London in September.

My reasons for voting Leave: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4182365
    The government has no control over internal migration in the USA - you dont hear USA'ians asking for the USA to be broken up in Confederate states again.

OF course people migrate towards jobs and then they move on - like high plains drifters - that is what the EU lets us do - Get on our Bikes and find good jobs any where.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The government has no control over internal migration in the USA - you dont hear USA'ians asking for the USA to be broken up in Confederate states again.

OF course people migrate towards jobs and then they move on - like high plains drifters - that is what the EU lets us do - Get on our Bikes and find good jobs any where.
    The USA is also A SINGLE NATION STATE, not 28 nation states with a few people at the helm trying to make it one against the wishes of most of its populace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I'm 100% wrong that people still moan about Indian IT workers? 100%?

You can be completely 100% sure that I couldnt possibly find 2 or more people working in IT who complain about Indian IT workers?

Quit trolling Brexit and go back to making insane religious threads, or your strange sexual thoughts.
    If you want to bring religion into it. Jesus was born and lived in the the "EU" (Roman Empire) the same time Boudica went round trying to destroy it all.
    To this day the HQ of the Jesus movement is in Rome,

If you want to bring religion into it, Jesus is a better path than UKIP. Had we all been separate states Christianity would not have spread so far or fast. We are a Christian nation thanks to the "EU". But this goes further, things like CERN or even the INTERNET itself were developed by European co-operation. Yes TIM-BERNERS LEE is for REMAIN.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to bring religion into it.
    Nobody wants to bring religion into it. Wtf are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The USA is also A SINGLE NATION STATE, not 28 nation states with a few people at the helm trying to make it one against the wishes of most of its populace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not relevant to migration .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    not relevant to migration .
    Is it not? Migration from 1 state to another is domestic, not international

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying by this that the vote was not that important to you. Not a life changing event? Just a bit of a laugh?

Obviously its not that way for me - that is pretty clear.
    You still don't seem to know we can be in the EEA and have free movement without being in the EU.

REMAINERS-

We all voted 'cos we don't care, did we?, when apparently remain don't care about democracy and accountability, and being under the EU's miserable rule whilst remaining ignorant of it's intent, and hating our own vastly more accountable system which has been so indispensable historically to protecting liberty. They seem entirely incurious about history, or the real nature of the EU, or the future. All that drives them is a vague, utterly superficial sense of cosmopolitanism and being of the cultural left, vs some evil provincials and right wingers. Their self-satisfied reasoning and 'philosophy' has about as much depth as a puddle. Why aren't European borders and institutions inward looking and hopeless? If 70 or 80million is too small why is 500 million not? How come Canadians, Americans, Australians, Indians, Japanese and Chinese people wake up every day in independent countries, proud countries, without being regarded by half of their population as bigots, or totally stupid for this reason only? Face it, the elites of this country are one of two things, perversely cynical and devious and destructive to most people, to propagandize people into this- or they genuinely but it themselves, and are self-flagellating and self hating, they hate the country. Orwell described how it is the only country where the elite are so embarrassed or contemptuous of patriotism and their own country. Maybe if we were a less class-apartheid like society, even a republic, this would not be the case. We have major problems because we seem to have forgotten to do what other sane countries do-look after their national interests, we also have no real regard for our fellow men, or the truth, or changing our country from within it seems, and prefer foreign opinions on our national interests than our own invested and principled figures. It's like we've given up on our own self-determination and the society we build from within. I see this as having the baggage of greatness and empire and not dealing with out reduced role after war. However, the EU and the trashing of our historic liberties was not the answer. We should be outraged at the least racist country in Europe with the most mixed race people, being accused by it's elite snobs of racism for their own cynical purposes. We should be discriminating and honest, see past hyberbole,as we always used to, and protect our liberty, which is being destroyed by equally cynical people, and start looking to a more humane treatment of our people and our national interests. It is just what other nations do. When the empire is long gone, and when we get out of this madness, We can start rediscovering the national interest, rather than mad zealotry and globalist utopianism, and regaining sanity and getting a politics that more genuinely reflects the views of people and the national interest. We also have the potential, as already shown by our temperament, in creating the most diverse racially harmonious society on earth-however this can only be done without PC fascism, and a sane, honest, non self-serving national debate and the capacity to limit immigration and promote integration, and maybe a more conservative patriotic media. I want a multi racial independent UK where we practice inclusion but not PC fascism or liberal self-hate. I think this is possible. We have defied the world and been a trendsetter, a unique nation. We have reach a low in our politics and national mindset, but we now have the prospect of a new future. And, well if the worlds buggered it would be anyway frankly, if global events are beyond our control like nuclear war and climate change, nothing else we can do.

ReputationRep:
    Also, if they were only counting ticked boxes on sheets, how do they know that demographic breakdown, they could only do that via postal votes or internet ones surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themini)
    I've met one. He's a shelf stacker at ASDA and his life is going no where. He's basically an idiot who decided to vote on impulse and believes that we're in a cracking economic environment now. He spends all his time on reddit and 4chan that should give you an indication. He tells me his reasons were because the EU isn't as democratic as he wished and he doesn't want Turkey to join the EU lol.
    Now he's making lots of dough in hedge funds. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themini)
    Lol the guy believes Bin Laden is alive and the royal family are lizards. Yep sorry, definitely an idiot.
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    I would like to rescind my earlier comments
    my god, you sound like two venomous snakes.

ReputationRep:
    My groupmate did, 18, male, well earning parents. It's not surprising tho, he's the most racist person I know, loves and agrees with Trump... Constantly talks about how he hates 'pakies' and how all the immigrants should 'go back to their countries'.

ReputationRep:
    "own up"

Voting democratically is not a crime. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.

I'm 18. I voted out because I want the power to change laws back in my country. Guess I'm old fashioned. Or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    My groupmate did, 18, male, well earning parents. It's not surprising tho, he's the most racist person I know, loves and agrees with Trump... Constantly talks about how he hates 'pakies' and how all the immigrants should 'go back to their countries'.
    Sounds like a nice bit of propaganda...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.