Robot wars is BACK!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Without Craig Charles it's gonna be sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    Roll on 24th July!! Kinda hope we don't see Tornado, they didn't have a real weapon IMO. Is Firestorm returning?

ReputationRep:
    Hypnodisc >>>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Roll on 24th July!! Kinda hope we don't see Tornado, they didn't have a real weapon IMO. Is Firestorm returning?
    Neither have entered this year - here's the link to the full lineup that I posted a page ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Neither have entered this year - here's the link to the full lineup that I posted a page ago.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Found a better list (with pictures and info) of the competing teams... on the Robot Wars website of all places. :ahee:

http://www.robotwars.tv/competitors/

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching this years ago as a kid. So goooood!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Heard about this ages ago, super psyched to finally get some footage.

Looked like Dara O'Briain will be presenting instead of Craig Charles. Glad they kept the old house robots though, hopefully we see some updates of old favourites. Hypno Disk anyone?
    I agree.
    I remember hypno disk as well- that robot was a legend.
    I just hope its as good as the original.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Jake Forsey has a number of videos on Youtube of his team's new robot, M.R Speed Squared. Mostly build updates, but also their application video for the new series, and the test drive vid below. Same team that previously entered with (Revenge of) Trouble & Strife in Series 5 - 7. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Very excited indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Razer ftw

ReputationRep:
    Didn't they relaunch it a while back but it failed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Didn't they relaunch it a while back but it failed?
    No. :confused: Unless you mean the move from the BBC to Five for Series 7. But since that aired in 2004, no attempts at another UK series have been made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Without Craig Charles it's gonna be sh*t.
    I never liked Craig, his mug seemed to dumb down the whole thing. I did like Pearce though, who will be commentating, about which I am ecstatic.

I operate [strikethrough]three[/strikethrough] a couple of feathers (can't count) actually, is anyone else here into actual building? Not got the time to read through the previous pages, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Parts of the Seventh Wars were horrendously fixed, as the producers didn't want a certain competitor (Storm II) to win, but barring a few low points like that, the first run was not staged. Hopefully nothing in the reboot will be.
    Let's not mention Mortis, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Let's not mention Mortis, lol.
    Mentorn certainly did like them in the second series, with that 2nd seeding and the helping hands in the pinball. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Mentorn certainly did like them in the second series, with that 2nd seeding and the helping hands in the pinball. :sigh:
    Mm, I think it reflected really unfairly on them, they did seem like nice guys.

It annoys me terribly that Mortis has been bouncing hands so much and yet noone's been bothered to get it combat worthy. Waste of a very good (and expensive) robot and all of the time put into it by the original team. And all the while incompetents are doing nothing with it, it's a lost opportunity to the teams that would have had it fighting years ago.

That said, I guess none of the teams can do it for a living, everyone's only got so much time to boot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Mm, I think it reflected really unfairly on them, they did seem like nice guys.

It annoys me terribly that Mortis has been bouncing hands so much and yet noone's been bothered to get it combat worthy. Waste of a very good (and expensive) robot and all of the time put into it by the original team. And all the while incompetents are doing nothing with it, it's a lost opportunity to the teams that would have had it fighting years ago.
    I was aware that it had been sold at least once, but I've not looked into it in any detail. A shame indeed, it'd be good to see it in the retro battles at the live shows if nothing else.

It was good to see Rob Knight still taking an active part in roboteering as part of The Obwalden Overlord team in this year's BattleBots. Still pushing the high-tech, innovative designs, though not quite as practical in combat as Mortis. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    I remember watching it when I was a kid.

Very disappointed that Craig Charles is not presenting it this time.
    I still remember Clarkson presenting the first series. Ahhhh, memories.... Dara should be good though.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.