Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Political Correctness has more in common with Social Realism, a communist concept, than the fascist impingements on free speech
    As a Libertarian, not a liberal, both are just as bad as one another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    *cums*
    Want to explode more?
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soggycabbages)
    want to explode more?
    omg i cant take it daddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    This doesn't correlate with the results for experiments I've seen reported by the David Icke Foundation Department of Lizardry Studies, I'm afraid.*
    I mean she is not divinely special or anything.

I'm a republican

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playmaker#10)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    During the height of the slave trade in America, less than 3% of whites actually owned slaves, and over 15% of free blacks owned slaves
    http://newobserveronline.com/hidden-...ry-in-america/
    The source you have cited comes from a far-right platform. That does not automatically make it untrue, but one should be wary of their agenda.

Whilst it is clear that there were many free black owners of black slaves, other sources suggest that the majority of free black slave owners did so for altruistic and philanthropic purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Here are some more politically incorrect facts
    Spoiler:
    Show

What the hell happened to women in the mid 90s? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. But there's apparently been a more recent upsurge in female convictions for violent crime, at least in the UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-increase.html

Note that violent crime has actually decreased overall in this period, so there may be more of a change in the courts than in a woman's tendency towards violence. For example, perhaps the courts are now taking a more active stance against domestic abuse of husbands
    That was my immediate thought, i can't think of any significant cultural shifts that took place in the 90s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogLad)
    That was my immediate thought, i can't think of any significant cultural shifts that took place in the 90s
    The birth of the ladette

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-violence.html

ReputationRep:
    Please post things that are scientifically justified, but would get you crucified by some people if you repeated them

3) Facts which negatively portray Islam, muslims, or black people are wrong and not endorsed by The Student Room in any way.
    I was reading this and an article came to mind.....
    http://thesatedire.com/news/world-ne...icising-islam/

ReputationRep:
    I've updated the OP with trigger warnings, disclaimers and advice. Is there anything I have missed?
    Directions to a safe space.

ReputationRep:
    Cultural appropriation is just culture in action

ReputationRep:
    Could you please expand upon this?
    Taking of other people's ideas and doing stuff with it is literately culture :-/

ReputationRep:
    But is there not a distinction when, for example, there is a dominant culture taking aspects of an oppressed culture?

I'll refer you to this article: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/...riation-wrong/

What do you think of the points that they make?
    It's like trying to stop the tide coming in.

You can try and educate people on how to be sensitive and teach them the history of where these cultural practises come from. But you can;t stop someone wearing an american Indian headdress to a party, or from someone taking up yoga.

ReputationRep:
    Impossibility of stopping an action doesn't automatically mean that action is not bad; the tide coming in is bad if somebody chained loads of babies to the lower part of a beach
    In that instance the obvious choice is is to free the babies...

Making it illegal to consume raw fish cos it is cultural apportion does more harm than good.

Stopping babies drowning needlessly is win win.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.