Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

What will happen to our EU freedom of movement in the UK? Worried watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    The 2/3 months stay idea. Is just most major countries ruling for visits without a visa anyway.
    Ah right I see, so there's no advantage to the EU, its a complicated mess isn't it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Yeh, you are lazy if you can't get a job at McDonalds or KFC.
    I'm sorry but you are totally talking out of your arse here, my mother has a 2:1 degree from a russell group university, a PGCE and experience with teaching and she can't a job in fast food because she's 'too overqualified'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I'm sorry but you are totally talking out of your arse here, my mother has a 2:1 degree from a russell group university, a PGCE and experience with teaching and she can't a job in fast food because she's 'too overqualified'
    If you bothered to read the conversation then you would realise it was about British people with little to no skills who are being out-competed in low end jobs.

So your mother wouldn't qualify and therefore, it makes your response irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Thats rubbish after I did my MSc, I got a job at MacDonalds while I was looking for a permannt job, there were also a lot of students there and one guy was training to be a flight engineer.

I'm not saying your mum does not want a job but the over qualified argument is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewis7)
    Ah right I see, so there's no advantage to the EU, its a complicated mess isn't it...
    No there are plenty of advantages. Last night there was the "Trust Me I'm a doctor" on TV. They pointed to the "EC" label on sun glasses.

If you look at the enemy of the EU, the satan daile smale you will note that even they use the EU for their good regulations:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ete-guide.html

When business gets to cut back on EU "regulations" the UK 52% will more likely go blind.

Regulations are just one aspect of the goodness of "REMAIN" there is also of course Norman Tabbits's famous quote "Get on your bike to find a job" - Without freedom of Movement the nutty BREXIT: gang would have stolen the nations bike,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    No there are plenty of advantages. Last night there was the "Trust Me I'm a doctor" on TV. They pointed to the "EC" label on sun glasses.

If you look at the enemy of the EU, the satan daile smale you will note that even they use the EU for their good regulations:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ete-guide.html

When business gets to cut back on EU "regulations" the UK 52% will more likely go blind.

Regulations are just one aspect of the goodness of "REMAIN" there is also of course Norman Tabbits's famous quote "Get on your bike to find a job" - Without freedom of Movement the nutty BREXIT: gang would have stolen the nations bike,
    I meant no advantages for the EU in terms of my previous reply where I indicated there should be free movement but a stay period of 2/3 months then a work permit is required but it got rubbished because someone said most countries have this rule around the world anyway. I realise there are advantages of being with in the EU, just as there are disadvantages too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Well, we can stay in the EEA and have free movement, but we will have our law making powers back for good. Clearly this is a far more sane option than remain, unfortunately also, remainers are seemingly totally unaware of Norwegian or Swiss models, or indeed their prosperity. So much for leave being lied to and stupid.
    We aren't unaware, we just know that those aren't useful comparisons. The UK isn't a small hyper-prosperous country, it is one of the largest economies in the world with all kinds of scientific, technical, economic and industrial close integrations with the EU which have built up over decades. Unravelling it will be highly damaging and chaotic, which is why the markets have responded by marking the £ down by about 1/3 globally.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully it'll be fully revoked and permits and background checks will be introduced to protect the UK and other European countries from terrorists, criminals and people who do not contribute to the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Hopefully it'll be fully revoked and permits and background checks will be introduced to protect the UK and other European countries from terrorists, criminals and people who do not contribute to the economy.
    At the same time putting off loads of gifted people coming here that we actually want and need, not to mention a great many working people with skills that we lack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    At the same time putting off loads of gifted people coming here that we actually want and need, not to mention a great many working people with skills that we lack.
    If they are needed, they will be granted permits. If not, they shall not be granted a permit.

I am strongly against the racist two tier immigration system the EU has imposed on us. Why do Europeans have more of a right to come here than someone from Asia or America? Are Europeans more valuable somehow? No, so why should they be exempt from permits and background checks.

Where someone comes from should be irrelevant when it comes to immigration. What matters is skills and personal history. Hence why I believe the current system is wrong, as it prioritises people from certain countries over others.

I've lived outside the EU-it's honestly piss easy to do and isn't that big a deal.

We have no innate right to live anywhere

ReputationRep:
    If they are needed, they will be granted permits. If not, they shall not be granted a permit.

I am strongly against the racist two tier immigration system the EU has imposed on us. Why do Europeans have more of a right to come here than someone from Asia or America? Are Europeans more valuable somehow? No, so why should they be exempt from permits and background checks.

Where someone comes from should be irrelevant when it comes to immigration. What matters is skills and personal history. Hence why I believe the current system is wrong, as it prioritises people from certain countries over others.

I've lived outside the EU-it's honestly piss easy to do and isn't that big a deal.

It isn't a racist system. It's part of general agreement between a group of nations, there are loads of them around the world, the EU isn't the only group of countries offering enhanced passport travel rights.

I simply don't believe the UKIP argument that this is about race, they would be the first to kick and scream if the government announced a similar open-access deal with, say, India, or a group of African nations, only then the screams would hit the roof.

Hiding one's own racism by declaring that other people are racist is not a ploy that works nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a racist system. It's part of general agreement between a group of nations, there are loads of them around the world, the EU isn't the only group of countries offering enhanced passport travel rights.

I simply don't believe the UKIP argument that this is about race, they would be the first to kick and scream if the government announced a similar open-access deal with, say, India, or a group of African nations, only then the screams would hit the roof.

Hiding one's own racism by declaring that other people are racist is not a ploy that works nowadays.
    I disagree with all open border systems, whether in Europe or abroad, especially for work, simply for the safety of countries.

And it's really not difficult to get visas if you're skilled. I've done it before so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Thats rubbish after I did my MSc, I got a job at MacDonalds while I was looking for a permannt job, there were also a lot of students there and one guy was training to be a flight engineer.

I'm not saying your mum does not want a job but the over qualified argument is rubbish.
    Well that's what they said to her, there's no point us arguing about it

ReputationRep:

I agree, we should allow anyone from anywhere to come to Britian.

ReputationRep:
    We aren't unaware, we just know that those aren't useful comparisons. The UK isn't a small hyper-prosperous country, it is one of the largest economies in the world with all kinds of scientific, technical, economic and industrial close integrations with the EU which have built up over decades. Unravelling it will be highly damaging and chaotic, which is why the markets have responded by marking the £ down by about 1/3 globally.
    The pound went to a thirty year low, not that extreme considering the event, and anyhow it's good for exports, it's just reported like the pound being high is a good thing unequivocally, and this is because of biased media.

ReputationRep:
    The pound went to a thirty year low, not that extreme considering the event, and anyhow it's good for exports, it's just reported like the pound being high is a good thing unequivocally, and this is because of biased media.
    Britain isn't the country it was. We don't have a huge empire market of countries we can bully into only buying our products. Our high value export industries have declined sharply. We simply don't make enough stuff for the low pound to make a rapid and major difference. We do export a lot of financial services, but those are now endangered in their biggest market, the EU.

The kippers who were so desperate to get us out of the EU are living mentally in the past, they think the UK is still what it was in the 50s and 60s. Bad news. It isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Britain isn't the country it was. We don't have a huge empire market of countries we can bully into only buying our products. Our high value export industries have declined sharply. We simply don't make enough stuff for the low pound to make a rapid and major difference. We do export a lot of financial services, but those are now endangered in their biggest market, the EU.

The kippers who were so desperate to get us out of the EU are living mentally in the past, they think the UK is still what it was in the 50s and 60s. Bad news. It isn't.
    No, so wrong. The pound's temporary fall is **** all, it's all hysterics- the 'remainstream' media wish to talk us down as much as possible(that actually affects markets), and are irresponsibly spinning so they can have their failure hypothesis fulfilled. It's not in the national interests. China and India are already queing up to make deals, we couldn't get sod all in the EU, China couldn't get anything with them, all those years, despite what we were told. I know the Beeb won't report these things, because they are so desperate to make us further homogenized into the EU's miserable rulership. When people said, 'for all the talk of China and India, x % of our trade is with Europe', they failed to understand that that percentage was not a given, it was caused by being ensconsed in the EU, with it's high prices and protectionism, the pound could be lower (which obviously it won't be long term, unless determined doommongers and EU lovers win)and we could probably still use all options in the future to ger about the same value. We had less choice and less value in the EU, not to mention red tape. It's a totally false assumption to say everyone voted out of nostalgia, and they were old, I voted considering some of our trade history, and future, and because I just don't buy the swelf-satsified remain economic argument, and because I knew we'd be lied to about integration, and because of climate change, terror, and other long term geopolitical trends. To portray the EU as the future, is hopelessly idealistic and to assume everyone wanting an independent UK is harking back is entirely false. The EU is not outward looking, the UK always has been and can be, it can have far more liberty and it can be maybe 100 million strong and outward facing, whats 100 mil vs 500 mil, they are both smallish proportions of the world, we have our own nuclear, Southern Europe is hopeless, climate change will make it worse, the EU's protectionism kills our economic options. We run a Europe facing economy that the south-east gets all the welth from, we could run a global facing economy and shift the wealth all over our nation, especially with climate change added to that.

ReputationRep:
    No, so wrong. The pound's temporary fall is **** all, it's all hysterics- the 'remainstream' media wish to talk us down as much as possible(that actually affects markets), and are irresponsibly spinning so they can have their failure hypothesis fulfilled. It's not in the national interests. China and India are already queing up to make deals, we couldn't get sod all in the EU, China couldn't get anything with them, all those years, despite what we were told. I know the Beeb won't report these things, because they are so desperate to make us further homogenized into the EU's miserable rulership. When people said, 'for all the talk of China and India, x % of our trade is with Europe', they failed to understand that that percentage was not a given, it was caused by being ensconsed in the EU, with it's high prices and protectionism, the pound could be lower (which obviously it won't be long term, unless determined doommongers and EU lovers win)and we could probably still use all options in the future to ger about the same value. We had less choice and less value in the EU, not to mention red tape. It's a totally false assumption to say everyone voted out of nostalgia, and they were old, I voted considering some of our trade history, and future, and because I just don't buy the swelf-satsified remain economic argument, and because I knew we'd be lied to about integration, and because of climate change, terror, and other long term geopolitical trends. To portray the EU as the future, is hopelessly idealistic and to assume everyone wanting an independent UK is harking back is entirely false. The EU is not outward looking, the UK always has been and can be, it can have far more liberty and it can be maybe 100 million strong and outward facing, whats 100 mil vs 500 mil, they are both smallish proportions of the world, we have our own nuclear, Southern Europe is hopeless, climate change will make it worse, the EU's protectionism kills our economic options. We run a Europe facing economy that the south-east gets all the welth from, we could run a global facing economy and shift the wealth all over our nation, especially with climate change added to that.
    Osborne and Cameron were offering China a very privileged and (from China's point of view, very one sided in their favour) deal to take on a nuclear power plant with fantastic and guaranteed future profits paid for by us, the hard pressed citizenry. Literally, we were being farmed to China like so many cattle by a supine neoliberal extremist government generating cash for their friends in the City. So it's hardly surprising that they turn up for more with enthusiasm. A genuine two-sided fair trade deal is extremely hard to win with China and most unlikely to take anything less than 10-20 years.

India is a small market relatively and although it is growing, it and the other developing world economies are not buying enough British goods to make exports highly responsive to a slump in the currency.

The main slump has been with the dollar and the US market does buy a lot of high value added British goods like Range Rovers and Scotch Whisky, but these are not particularly price sensitive anyway. Large ticket items like aircraft engines bring in a lot, but again, they are mainly purchased due to quality, not the sales tag. The only real scope for sharp export trade increases lies with financial services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippohops)
    What do you think might happen now the UK has voted to leave the EU? Do you think they will agree to stay in the EEA? Or not? Will they make a system like Australia's where you must get a job offer etc.?

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts or knowledge to share, please enlighten me.

I wanted to leave the UK in the future and become citizen in another EU country, but I am afraid I won't be able to now, if it will become much harder for a normal person. I had a plan before but now I have no idea how things will be.

I don't want this to be a debate about the Brexit results, I just want to discuss what might happen so that maybe I can get an idea of how to plan for whatever result.
    To live and work in an EU country if Britain is not in the EU will be a lot more complicated. It will be a lot harder in the poorer countries with higher unemployment such as Spain and Greece.

If you have valued qualifications such as teaching, engineering, science, dentistry etc then getting a work permit should be easier but it will need to be reviewed every 6 months.

However trying to get a permit to work in a beach bar in Spain will be impossible. We will have lost that right by leaving the EU instead jobless locals will be given these jobs as will other EU citizens, French, Dutch etc.

There are already thousands of ex pats in Spain who are being forced to plan their return to the UK following Brexit
    Ex pat owned businesses such as bars and shops may have to close as they are in competition with Spanish owned businesses.

In other wealthier EU countries like Austria etc it might not be as hard to get a work permit as unemployment is lower and their might be more opportunities at the lower end of the skills spectrum.

My advice of you really want to live and work in an EU country is:

1) prey for a second referendum.
    2) get good qualifications and a career such as teaching, healthcare etc.

Beach bar assistants need not apply

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.