Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think race is a social construct or biological? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget, people outside of Africa have also interbred with Neanderthals and the Denisovans. Not only are we physically different in appearance but there are also traceable differences in our DNA.

However, as a species that seems determined to cause pain and suffering wherever such differences are pointed out, I can see why people want to ignore this. With the likes of religion, we have even invented our own social divisions.

ReputationRep:
    Both

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  13.0 KB

For those people saying race is a social construct. Please explain this picture.

Something like the top 300 fastest people in the world are all black, no other sport is dominated by one race to this extent. Only one non black person has ever broken 10 seconds for the 100 metres (white guy) I sincerely doubt this is due to "social factors".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Of course it's biological

Black people are genetically black, like asians are genetically asian looking, as are white / caucasian people.

That is so offensive, I mean Asian looking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crassy)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  13.0 KB

For those people saying race is a social construct. Please explain this picture.

Something like the top 300 fastest people in the world are all black, no other sport is dominated by one race to this extent. Only one non black person has ever broken 10 seconds for the 100 metres (white guy) I sincerely doubt this is due to "social factors".

Apparently black people are genetically superior, when it comes to physical anatomy and resilience.

ReputationRep:
    'Race' is a biological fact of physical characteristics. Individuals carry it in their DNA.

'Racism' is the construction of social meaning based on race. We build it in our heads.

ReputationRep:
    I believe very similarly to the UNESCO 1948 statement before they decided to take it upon themselves to ignore science, manipulate language and go on an ideological rampage. Since then of course UNESCO has also been falling apart due to corruption and scientific ignorance. They politicised science just as the Nazi's did in the end but in support of the opposite extreme. The irony is that they specifically came together on this to disavow themselves from the political manipulation of science in a response to what the Nazis had done.

That's not to say you can tell everything about everyone based on skin colour but it does represent breeds. Within breeds there may be races or genetic groups that are less superficially obvious. The new, growing and exciting world of measurable genetics is opening the door on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    Race is NOT biological. It is a social construct. There is no gene or cluster of genes common to all blacks or all whites. Were race “real” in the genetic sense, racial classifications for individuals would remain constant across boundaries.
    It's always biological, but it then may be overlayed with social constructs. Social constructs layered upon real differences are what cause problems.

It's entirely counter productive to completely deny biological realities. You'll not only in effect be a liar but you'll alienate people why are about to come to a reasonable conclusion that doesn't involve lying.

In this debate do you really want to in effect declare war against any form of truthist be they rationalists, scientists and generally believes in empirical evidence?

We do know that things are heredity and that there are different groups of humans that have common hereditary traits. It's not something you can really deny because the evidence is right there staring everyone in the face. If anything it's not the scientific community that has some egg on its face in this respect as genetics are yielding real findings.

Problems arise from a combination of both incorrect or possibly incorrect speculative findings not based on true neutral science and following conclusions which aren't really within science's purview at all. When it comes to behaviours, performances and so on then it is quite hard to say how much is nature or nurture. Extremists tends to say it is entirely this or than and then cling to yet another extreme conclusion as to what should be done about that.

You're making an ancient mistake although you're not the only one. We still have creationists today. We had the whole heliocentric saga. This is what you need to understand, science is coming. Eventually the truth will be out so your real concern shouldn't be in denying that truth but working towards humane interpretations.

These findings are already being used surprisingly in pro-black propaganda:

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/12/...ill-amaze-you/

This is already worrying because there are some things there that are being misinterpreted that they might not want to be so hasty to advertise.

Particularly:

> Black Babies Advance Earlier and Faster Than European Babies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.
    No need to apologize

Can you actually take your time out of your day explain why its ridiculous or which part is ridiculous? What is ridiculous about it? That three races (black, white, and asian) has differences in appearance, and more at risk at a disease/sickness than other another race?

Nice to know your argument: its ridiculous

Sickle cell disease (SCD) affects millions of people throughout the world and is particularly common among those whose ancestors came from sub-Saharan Africa; Spanish-speaking regions in the Western Hemisphere (South America, the Caribbean, and Central America); Saudi Arabia; India; and Mediterranean countries such as Turkey, Greece, and Italy.
    https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/data.html

I took the time to provide a source but ya know your opinion that is ridiculous is just as valid too despite not providing observations or facts or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Not sure if this is in the right place..

I believe race could be a social construct and a way to distinguish people. There's no specific gene that's synonymous to a particular "race" and any physical differences are usually as a result of cultural differences and from centuries past.

I'm curious to know your opinions on this!
    completely unrelated, but I just heard an absolute banger on soundcloud and your profile picture is the track art, lel
    https://soundcloud.com/tsuruda/punjabi-lang

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeeranB)
    completely unrelated, but I just heard an absolute banger on soundcloud and your profile picture is the track art, lel
    https://soundcloud.com/tsuruda/punjabi-lang
    Hahaha this made me laugh. I love the meme so much tho, have no idea where the anime character is from tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    No need to apologize

Can you actually take your time out of your day explain why its ridiculous or which part is ridiculous? What is ridiculous about it? That three races (black, white, and asian) has differences in appearance, and more at risk at a disease/sickness than other another race?

Nice to know your argument: its ridiculous

Sickle cell disease (SCD) affects millions of people throughout the world and is particularly common among those whose ancestors came from sub-Saharan Africa; Spanish-speaking regions in the Western Hemisphere (South America, the Caribbean, and Central America); Saudi Arabia; India; and Mediterranean countries such as Turkey, Greece, and Italy.
    https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/data.html

I took the time to provide a source but ya know your opinion that is ridiculous is just as valid too despite not providing observations or facts or anything like that.
    The fact that you think 7 billion people can be categorised into 3 races is ridiculous. 'Asian' covers everything from Turkey to South Korea, and you're going to try and tell me they're the same race? Similarly, Africa is a massive continent with a huge variety in skin tones, bone structure, features etc. but you're going to label them as black? What about people like me who are of mixed heritage. I don't fit into any of those three 'races', but are you telling me that I apply to one of those three? I'll tell you for nothing I don't.

The existence of different traits, characteristics etc. is biological. You said it yourself, some people are more prone to diseases than others - I don't doubt that. But the way we group people together and call it race is a social construct. Using your very own quote:

It does not say 'SCD is particularly common among black people and Asians'. Why? Because that wouldn't be true. Our social construct of race means that anyone with darker skin is considered 'black', but there is so much more to diversity than 3 tick boxes.

ReputationRep:
    Every human has biological genetic differences, however categorization of these differences based largely on skin color is entirely arbitrary and social construct (we could decide to categorize people based on length of their little finger, resistance to pain etc and that'd be equally valid definition as race).
    Some social constructs can be useful, take concept of time for instance, however as membership of race largely doesn't provide usable information (or provides a largely generalized one), it is a rather useless construct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    The fact that you think 7 billion people can be categorised into 3 races is ridiculous. 'Asian' covers everything from Turkey to South Korea, and you're going to try and tell me they're the same race? Similarly, Africa is a massive continent with a huge variety in skin tones, bone structure, features etc. but you're going to label them as black? What about people like me who are of mixed heritage. I don't fit into any of those three 'races', but are you telling me that I apply to one of those three? I'll tell you for nothing I don't.

The existence of different traits, characteristics etc. is biological. You said it yourself, some people are more prone to diseases than others - I don't doubt that. But the way we group people together and call it race is a social construct. Using your very own quote:

It does not say 'SCD is particularly common among black people and Asians'. Why? Because that wouldn't be true. Our social construct of race means that anyone with darker skin is considered 'black', but there is so much more to diversity than 3 tick boxes.
    Thank you for at least explaining why. Would be nice if you include that i your original reply to me.

The technical terms I was taught in forensic sci are are mongoloids, Negroids, and Caucasoid. Mongoloids - asians
    Caucasoid- white
    Negroids - black

Black just means you have African ancestry. When you apply for a job, or apply anywhere most of the time you're asked your race. Is there not a black category? Black/African - African ancestry.

Wait... what does skin tone have to do with whether someone is black or not? Yes, I'm aware Africa is a gigantic continent with multiple countries but there are still similar characteristics and despite which African country don't Africans from Uganda to Cameroon still share the same race and African ancestry? On average and one of the common characteristics of black people are bigger noses. Why? Because black people originated from Africa where it was hot and you needed bigger noses to breathe and kinky hair to absorb the heat. White people originated from Europe where it was cold thus long and silky hair like a blanket to converse heat. Asians have more flesh in their eyes to avoid stuff flying in their eyes. All these were needed to adapt to the environment they were in. And these are social constructs that society has made up in its head?

I don't mean to be rude or come off offensive but you're mixed with multiple heritages so of course you're not going to fit into one category. Isn't there a mixed check box in the race category when you apply for stuff or doing a survey? Are you using yourself as an example as attempt to apply to most people?
    I don't know the rates of many mixed people are in the USA or Uk though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crassy)
    Of course there is. If two black people have a child, it's black. If two white people have a child, it's white. This is because they have different genes.
    This is slightly untrue, I'm indian and my parents and sister are far closer to a white/Spanish olive skin colour but I'm a normal indian brown colour so genes are very complex, I've seen this colour difference in many families btw

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.