University applicants 2017 thread!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazz_xox_)
    Does anyone know if I would still have a good chance at Oxford doing just 3 subjects in both my first and second year at sixth form?
    Don't see why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Don't see why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know they only require 3 but everyone on TSR seems to have 4+, so do you not think it would disadvantage me?

ReputationRep:
    I know they only require 3 but everyone on TSR seems to have 4+, so do you not think it would disadvantage me?
    They say that it doesn't matter to them whether you have 3 or 4+, they make offers for 3 grades. It'd be better to take 3 and meet that offer than take 4 and miss out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    They say that it doesn't matter to them whether you have 3 or 4+, they make offers for 3 grades. It'd be better to take 3 and meet that offer than take 4 and miss out.
    Okay thank you, do you think this even for not having an AS level? Like just doing 3 subjects from day one at sixth form

ReputationRep:
    just sent off my penultimate postgraduate application*

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't disadvantage you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you, do you think this even for not having an AS level? Like just doing 3 subjects from day one at sixth form
    Due to changes to linear qualifications, this is becoming ever more common. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on the good grades!

ReputationRep:
    Lovely thread ImagineCats! I've stickied it for you

Good luck with your applications everyone! You'll all have a fantastic time at uni :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have waited a long time to participate in one of these threads.
    The grading system in France is different so with grades and stuff it is too long to explain.

Name: Ijeoma
    Course: Popular Music
    Offers: Falmouth University, University of Kent, Southampton Solent University, Manchester Met uni, Bimm (haven't applied yet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Lovely thread ImagineCats! I've stickied it for you

Good luck with your applications everyone! You'll all have a fantastic time at uni :woo:
    Thank you!! Yay I feel important

ReputationRep:
    Name: James Burton
    Course: Computer Science
    Where? Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Manchester and Lancaster
    AS grades+Subjects: New Specification A-Level Physics (No grade) / A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics both A.
    A2 Predicted/Achieved: A*A*A
    Offers? In the process of sending UCAS application

ReputationRep:
    Registered with UCAS today, cannot wait to start applying! Hope to have everything sent off first week in October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeB16)
    Registered with UCAS today, cannot wait to start applying! Hope to have everything sent off first week in October
    Planning to send mine off by the Oxbridge deadline so I get my offers as soon as possible and can make up my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Planning to send mine off by the Oxbridge deadline so I get my offers as soon as possible and can make up my mind
    Just as an FYI, I did this but only heard back from UCL/Nottingham after 3 months and a month respectively. So it can be sporadic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Just as an FYI, I did this but only heard back from UCL/Nottingham after 3 months and a month respectively. So it can be sporadic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh damn that's slow. I'll make a fastest offer senders thread!

ReputationRep:
    Made a fastest offer senders thread here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4319440

ReputationRep:
    Name: Ben
    Course: Education Studies/ Primary Education
    Where? Middlesex, Brighton, Greenwich, and, Oxford Brookes
    AS grades+Subjects: CoPE (Pass), Drama (D), General Studies (D), ICT (D), Media (D*)
    A2 Predicted/Achieved: Drama (C), Cambridge Technicals in Business (D), Media (D*), General Studies (C)
    Offers? Haven't Applied

ReputationRep:
    Name: Marie
    Course: Law
    Where? Warwick, LSE, King's, Nottingham, and undecided on last
    AS grades+Subjects: AAABB in English Lit, History, Psychology, Biology, General Studies respectively (finished General in a year to A2, but since none of my unis count it, it seems useless now)
    A2 Predicted/Achieved: A*A*A*A. Offers?
    Not even reached my LNAT test date yet But hopefully Warwick as first choice!

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them back at the start of year 12 when I was considering dropping to three AS's, they said they need a fourth AS - not just Oxbridge, but pretty much every Russell (eventually decided Oxford wasn't for me so emailed the rest)

However there's loads of online courses etc where you can do an AS alongside you A2's so maybe something to look at? You could always take a subject you find really easy just to bring it to 4. Although I'm guessing if you're getting like A*A*A* they probably won't care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey'sLaw)
    I emailed them back at the start of year 12 when I was considering dropping to three AS's, they said they need a fourth AS - not just Oxbridge, but pretty much every Russell (eventually decided Oxford wasn't for me so emailed the rest)

However there's loads of online courses etc where you can do an AS alongside you A2's so maybe something to look at? You could always take a subject you find really easy just to bring it to 4. Although I'm guessing if you're getting like A*A*A* they probably won't care
    I'm not sure if it has changed now but I've emailed at least 5 unis and they said 3 AS is okay, sometimes they like an EPQ instead though. Thank you anyway

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.