Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Saying"white lives matter" to counter "black lives matter" is ridiculous.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xelfrost)
    I'm not talking about African Americans, I'm talking about Black Lives Matter...
    Regardless if you're talking about the movement or the organisation there's a lot more to both than "riots", BLM doesn't organise "riots" but protests can devolve.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Asurat)
    Regardless if you're talking about the movement or the organisation there's a lot more to both than "riots", BLM doesn't organise "riots" but protests can devolve.
    If Black Lives Matter can arrange a peaceful protests then I wouldn't have an issue with it. I've nothing against people standing up for their own race. But this isn't what they're doing. And no amount of fancy wording is going to change the fact that in it's current form the group is a bunch of thugs.

ReputationRep:
    I'll just leave this here.

ReputationRep:
    If Black Lives Matter can arrange a peaceful protests then I wouldn't have an issue with it. I've nothing against people standing up for their own race. But this isn't what they're doing. And no amount of fancy wording is going to change the fact that in it's current form the group is a bunch of thugs.
    One (semi-controversial) thing that I don't like about BLM is that the group turns out for protests by groups that discriminate against black people (that's an argument for another day), my point is all of that happens without hitches. When it comes to black issues is when we see the occasional riot (which happen less frequently than peaceful protests). I'm sure nobody who's actually a member of the BLM organisation wants to watch black people tear up their own neighbourhoods like what has been happening. So if the group's protests are co-opted by thugs that does not by default make the group "a bunch of thugs".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Well considering hundreds of black people dies in Sudan, and I can't find what blm had to say about that - I am increasingly struggling to believe they care about black lives.

Maybe #blackAmericanlivesmatter?
    More like #BlackAmericanLivesMatterUnlessB lacksAreKilledByOtherBlacks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    The reason for black lives matter is because evidentially the general thinking is that they dont.. White people do not need to start saying white lives matter as clearly they seem to matter the most.. Black lives matter movement is basically saying "our lives matter just as much as yours..." So stop being an idiot, history proves white lives have been priority since day 0. But yeah go ahead and try to continue to oppress people and try to act like they are being unreasonable for speaking out, typical
    What the hell are you yammering about?
    Who said black lives don't matter? I want a quote from someone who isn't an obvious racist.
    When have white lives been a priority and where? I didn't realize smallpox was able to determine who was white or not and go after everyone else :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing like that at all. Poor people can still work together to improve their quality of life. There's no magical "System" that sends in riot vans to prevent them from doing it.

And using Racism as an excuse for why African Americans can't fix their own neighborhoods is just lazy. Firstly, there is no racism stopping blacks from achieving. By pushing this myth you're just harming them by telling them that they're never going to be anything. If there was racism explain the damn president for crying out loud.
    Firstly, the president is half white, brought up by white family. He does not represent the lives of the majority of African Americans. And even if he did, one person being successful does not suddenly invalidate the idea that there are barriers.

Secondly, in what way exactly can African Americans 'fix' their own communities? There is systematic racism which makes it harder to get jobs, racism which prevents social mobility, and zoning laws which keep the poor out of rich communities. To suggest that it's that simple to 'fix' the problem just shows your utter ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano9901whichone)
    With the Sandra Bland case, the cop clearly was asking her to get out the car multiple times and he was actually quite polite to begin with. But she had an attitude. And he said multiple times "get out the car or I'll remove you from the car" - she didn't listen so the cop did what he said he would. He's allowed to do it , people don't seem to get that if a cop tells you to do something, you do it. People need to put their ego and pride to one side.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...d-arrest-video

He demanded she put out her cigarette and went on a power trip when she refused. There was no need for her to step out of the car to be ticketed. His words are "get out of the car or I will drag you out....I will light you up". She gets out of the car and they still apprehended her the way they did for "resisting arrest". She asked repeatedly why she was under arrest and he could not tell her.

If you honestly think this is a proportionate reaction, that this police officer was "polite" and justified in his actions then you're part of the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    The reason for black lives matter is because evidentially the general thinking is that they dont.. White people do not need to start saying white lives matter as clearly they seem to matter the most.. Black lives matter movement is basically saying "our lives matter just as much as yours..." So stop being an idiot, history proves white lives have been priority since day 0. But yeah go ahead and try to continue to oppress people and try to act like they are being unreasonable for speaking out, typical

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Black people ARE NOT OPPRESSED. Many Black lives matter supporters are racist supremacists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubiquitousking)
    His statement didn't assume that, I believe.

I disagree with the idea that they were white people "fled" areas due to violence committed by black people. It's more likely that, due to the past treatment of black people, they were left in less developing/poorer neighbourhoods and/or had to create their own "ghetto" neighbourhoods, which didn't have as many opportunities for growth as the communities white people were in.
    That is not more likely because we know it is not what happened.

In the early 20th century almost all American blacks lived in the South. In the mid 20th century many millions moved north. Cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc. went from being 90%+ white to 60%+ black.

These cities, which are the oldest in the US and in 1900 were among the richest, are now impoverished warzones. The Baltimore depicted in The Wire would be completely alien to a viewer from 1900 in a way that London would not.

Possibly due to bias or lack of funding. Thus leading to a weaker economic security in those neighbourhoods; being detached from other communities and forming their own, competitive sub-communities*; and less incentive to fund development in said neighbourhoods as they aren't progressing. Essentially making crime seem more enticing -- for example, theft.
    American blacks are not poorer than inhabitants of European countries like Portugal or Poland, and not poorer than whites were in say 1950.

*i.e. gangs competing for power and influence in the communities. This is where the communities themselves get the most blame, in my opinion, because the violence of gangs wasn't a necessary consequence of the systematic barriers put in their way. I mean, it was the most likely but it's still wasn't the only option by a long shot... This gang violence is likely what contributes to the higher murder rates.
    "Gang" is a polite word for "militia" - an organised group that uses armed force to overthrow the law of the land or impose new law. So Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore, etc. were taken over by black militias and the white population fled into the suburbs and outlying small towns. This doesn't sound much like anti-black discrimination to me.

What do you mean by the underlined bit? Is this in regards to crime? Because everyone should be held to the same standard in regards to crime.
    In practice no one holds a policeman to the same criminal standards as a member of the public, and no one would want to either. Most people do not want have-a-go-heroes intervening in fights, but most people do want a police officer to be able to intervene in a fight without being afraid of losing his job.

Suppose a police officer faces a 1% chance of losing his job each time he intervenes in a fight - I'd suggest that that actually represents very good level of restraint and professionalism given the circumstances. If in a career he must intervene in a fight every weekend then he is going to lose his job in a few years. In reality he will just let you get beaten up and pretend he didn't see anything, because the consequences to him for doing that are much less.

Black Lives Matter is saying that police should be held to the same standards as members of the public when they intervene in black crime. That might sound reasonable but actually amounts to legalising crime by blacks.

Education tends to work as a solution... I mean, the general trend as information and education becomes more widely available is a decrease in crime and an improvement in other critical areas. So does funding community projects rather than leaving a community to fall apart.
    We have had state education for over a hundred years. It doesn't seem to be working any time soon. Whether you can dare to think "underlying biological differences" or not, black underperformance behaves exactly as if it were caused primarily by underlying biological differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    The statistics for the statement 'more white people have been killed by cops' please?

Because you've provided absolutely no background context for that. For example, the population size? It may be that yes in some regions more white people have been killed by cops, but perhaps that area has a significantly higher % of white people? So yes whilst more white people have been killed, the proportion of black killings may be higher.

Also, you aren't giving any context into the background. Perhaps more white people have been killed by cops when involved in serious, violent or organised crimes. But perhaps more blacks people have been shot when involved in more petty crimes.
    The statement declaring that white people are shot more than black people by the cops was made by PrincessZara, not me. She just edited her original post so the statement is only available to see on my reply to her.

I agree with you 100%. Absolutely ridiculous throwing a statistic like that out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cipi)
    #WhiteLivesMatter #RapeStats #SouthAfrica #Zimbabwe #AffirmativeAction
    If you think its bad then don't live there! Honestly south africans are racist to anyone who isn't south african. Your naive if you think its just the white. Ethiopians and and Somalis in south africa are murdered, raped, and robbed? Why? God knows why. They are black too.

ReputationRep:
    You people are a joke.. There should not be Black Lives matter or White, it should be about every single life on this planet that matters :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessZara)
    American cops are racist corrupt donuts
    That's like saying all Muslims are terrorists. Maybe 0.1% of American police officers are racist but the rest are selfless, courageous people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Black people ARE NOT OPPRESSED. Many Black lives matter supporters are racist supremacists
    :facepalm: Your ignorance is incredible! Are black people not subjected to police brutality in America? Please get your head out of the clouds and face reality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    If you think its bad then don't live there! Honestly south africans are racist to anyone who isn't south african. Your naive if you think its just the white. Ethiopians and and Somalis in south africa are murdered, raped, and robbed? Why? God knows why. They are black too.
    South Africa is a second world country that would be a third world country without the white and South Asian minorities.

Since the size of these populations is more or less fixed, they are like a natural resource. Having whites and South Asians in your country is like having oil in your country.

The more blacks there are sharing money redistributed from whites and South Asians, the smaller is each black's share.

Think of it as a bit like the Scottish Nationalist Party. They do not want to share their oil and gas money with people from Carlisle just because they are almost identical in every way.

ReputationRep:
    #nolivesmatter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    South Africa is a second world country that would be a third world country without the white and South Asian minorities.

Since the size of these populations is more or less fixed, they are like a natural resource. Having whites and South Asians in your country is like having oil in your country.

The more blacks there are sharing money redistributed from whites and South Asians, the smaller is each black's share.

Think of it as a bit like the Scottish Nationalist Party. They do not want to share their oil and gas money with people from Carlisle just because they are almost identical in every way.
    I know this! But you did not explain to me why Somalis and Ethiopians and Kenyans are being killed in SOUTH AFRICA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    I know this! But you did not explain to me why Somalis and Ethiopians and Kenyans are being killed in SOUTH AFRICA
    Yes I did: almost all of this violence is black-on-black motivated by black South Africans not wanting to have to share welfare payments extracted from whites and South Asians. If Somalis and Ethiopians move in, everyone's cheque has to get smaller, because only the whites and South Asians produce any significant economic value in South Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Yes I did: almost all of this violence is black-on-black motivated by black South Africans not wanting to have to share welfare payments extracted from whites and South Asians. If Somalis and Ethiopians move in, everyone's cheque has to get smaller, because only the whites and South Asians produce any significant economic value in South Africa.
    what percentage of South asians represent the south african population?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.