Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleyamarz)
    When is everyone going to start sending in their applications? I'm planning to get mine done by November I hope that's enough time to develop enough rapport with my third year supervisor so she can be one of my referees
    My undergraduate dissertation supervisor has advised a November submission, for exactly the same reasons you've just said so I think you're on the right lines!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly_1994)
    Nice to see another QM student !
    What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    What are you studying?
    History! Applying to do the MPhil in Medieval History at Cam. Take it you do English Lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly_1994)
    History! Applying to do the MPhil in Medieval History at Cam. Take it you do English Lit?
    No, Linguistics! Lovely to 'bump' into you

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I am about to start my application for 2017 entry - looking to apply for the MPhil in Education programme.

However, I am not sure how offers are given out. Are the offers given in terms of attaining a particular degree class e.g. 2.1 or is it in terms of getting over a particular percentage in a degree e.g. you must get over 67 (UK educational system)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am going to start my application for Mphil Management for 2017 entry. However, as other students may feel the same I am a bit anxious because its definitely competitive to get into Cambridge and I don't know if I am good enough. I am about to enter my final year at a RG university in the North and hopefully can get a first for my degree, my second year average grade was only 72% and Mphil Management requires a first so everyone will be at my level or above. I don't have much professional work experience just some school work experience until now. Do you think I have any chances?

How are y'all doing with your application?

ReputationRep:
    ONLY 72%? That is pretty solidly in First territory, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I read the other post for this particular course for 2016 entry and people there got the average of 80 or so. Different degrees but still that has got me worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ngan Huyen)
    Hi everyone, I am going to start my application for Mphil Management for 2017 entry. However, as other students may feel the same I am a bit anxious because its definitely competitive to get into Cambridge and I don't know if I am good enough. I am about to enter my final year at a RG university in the North and hopefully can get a first for my degree, my second year average grade was only 72% and Mphil Management requires a first so everyone will be at my level or above. I don't have much professional work experience just some school work experience until now. Do you think I have any chances?

How are y'all doing with your application?
    All I can say about your chances is you won't find out unless you try I pretty much feel the same... super nervous about applying! I'm currently finishing my undergraduate degree at a relatively small university in Germany and am on track for what equals a UK First. However, just like you said, don't know if they consider me good enough. This is getting stressful before it'seven started haha!

I'm applying for the MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, and the application now requires a research proposal (which I think it didn’t for last year). Does anyone know how detailed they want research proposals at this stage (it just says “maximum one page” on the course page)?

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maliese)
    Does anyone know how detailed they want research proposals at this stage (it just says “maximum one page” on the course page)?
    It's not detail they are looking for (viz the one page limit) it is an interesting topic that has merit in answering, a credible project that is the right scope and scale for the time available, access to the right resources, an appropriate methodology, a decent plan. It's about the package of presenting a decent academic question and a credible method of delivering it. It's not about endless footnotes, end notes and an extensive bibliography and in the Chicago Manual of Style vXX approved format.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maliese)
    All I can say about your chances is you won't find out unless you try I pretty much feel the same... super nervous about applying! I'm currently finishing my undergraduate degree at a relatively small university in Germany and am on track for what equals a UK First. However, just like you said, don't know if they consider me good enough. This is getting stressful before it'seven started haha!

I'm applying for the MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, and the application now requires a research proposal (which I think it didn’t for last year). Does anyone know how detailed they want research proposals at this stage (it just says “maximum one page” on the course page)?

Good luck everyone!
    Yes, I think so too. It would not do any harm if we try, also I have read some more posts and they accept some people who think themselves not good enough so still chances for us. And all the best with your application pal :beerglass::beerglass:

ReputationRep:
    Great thread. I'm applying to the MPhil in American history. I graduated with my BA in history (3.79 GPA overall, 3.92 GPA within major... damned math general education requirements...) back in 2011 and had to take some time off due to "real world" sh*t.

The only things we have to lose by applying are 1) the application fee and 2) the time spent on filling out the applications.

Best of luck to all! I would say we all have a 50/50 chance of getting in, but that's probably statistically wrong. :P

ReputationRep:
    Please are there any International applicants out there. I personally feel UK students have it a lot easier. What Cambridge considers the equivalent of a high British 2:1 is a 4.9/5.0 GPA overall in my country. I spent the past 3 weeks crafting my personal statement and stressing on how to contact my referees. I would hopefully submit my application before the end of September.

Good luck everyone!!!

ReputationRep:
    Any mphil development studies hopefuls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ND_OGO)
    Please are there any International applicants out there. I personally feel UK students have it a lot easier. What Cambridge considers the equivalent of a high British 2:1 is a 4.9/5.0 GPA overall in my country. I spent the past 3 weeks crafting my personal statement and stressing on how to contact my referees. I would hopefully submit my application before the end of September.

Good luck everyone!!!
    I think it's just as difficult for both home/EU and international students if I'm honest. But I wouldn't stress about trying to get it in by late September! Take your time (not too long obviously), but just make sure it's the best it can be before you submit.

ReputationRep:

Good luck everyone!!!
    Not sure if I qualify as an 'international applicant' but I am from outside of Europe doing my degree in London now. I think you still have plenty of time to contact referees as I'm only planning to send my application in November (I only know one person I really want as my referee and am currently trying to get closer to another supervisor).

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Your Uni did weighted GPAs on a 5.0 scale? I'm curious to the answer. Wouldn't that be a First? I would reach out to the international office for clarity on qualifications.

Good luck everyone!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I just started my application for an Mphil in Economics. One of the steps of the application process is to reply to this:
    Reasons for applying/statement of interest (300w)Career goals (200w)Additional information supporting the application (200w)
    How important is this step? Any advice on what to write?Moreover, they also ask for my CV. What format should I use? An ordinary 2-page CV, or an academic format?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fausto)
    Hi everyone! I just started my application for an Mphil in Economics. One of the steps of the application process is to reply to this:
    Reasons for applying/statement of interest (300w)Career goals (200w)Additional information supporting the application (200w)
    How important is this step? Any advice on what to write?Moreover, they also ask for my CV. What format should I use? An ordinary 2-page CV, or an academic format?
    All steps are equally important in as much as the admissions staff take a very holistic view of your application. THe format is the same, unless you have some incredible list of publications, a 2 page CV that focusses on relevant skills, ie through Education, Relevant professional experience, Conferences, Publications etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fausto)
    Hey Fausto,

I am applying for the same course!
    That's odd because I do not think that they ask for a CV actually, it is not listed on the website.

Or did I miss something ?!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.