MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    There are 11 past or sample papers on the department site. Previous papers are somewhere on TSR after an FOI request. How does this pass for "so few questions"?
    A link to those other questions would be helpful (this isn't directed just at RichE, if you know where they are, I'd appreciate you putting up a link to help out those taking MAT this November!)*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    A link to those other questions would be helpful (this isn't directed just at RichE, if you know where they are, I'd appreciate you putting up a link to help out those taking MAT this November!)*
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post66825672

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this guys - love having my dreams smashed. Did 2007, thought it went alright but apparently it's piss easy so I'm screwed

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain how to do Q1 part J on the 2008 paper? https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...nts/test08.pdf

It's the only one I couldn't do, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quido)
    Can anyone explain how to do Q1 part J on the 2008 paper? https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...nts/test08.pdf

It's the only one I couldn't do, thanks!
    What's the minimum of the LHS? What's the maximum of the RHS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    What's the minimum of the LHS? What's the maximum of the RHS?
    The minimum of the LHS would be 4 and the maximum of the RHS would be 4 as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quido)
    The minimum of the LHS would be 4 and the maximum of the RHS would be 4 as well?
    Exactly, so the only time the two sides will be equal (all other times, the LHS will be too big and the RHS will be too small, so never equal - hence no solutions) is when both are equal to 4.

Now does an x exist such that both \sin x = 0 and \cos x = -1? If so, how many? If not, well then there are 0 solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Exactly, so the only time the two sides will be equal (all other times, the LHS will be too big and the RHS will be too small, so never equal - hence no solutions) is when both are equal to 4.

Now does an x exist such that both \sin x = 0 and \cos x = -1? If so, how many? If not, well then there are 0 solutions.
    Ah right, they both exist at 180 degrees or Pi so it would be one solution.
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quido)
    Ah right, they both exist at 180 degrees or Pi so it would be one solution.
    Thank you very much
    Yep.

No problem.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the solutions to the 2005 paper? Can't find 'em anywhere. Grrr

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys if anyone is interested in having group skype sessions to practice for MAT be sure to message me! I'm a US applicant btw and I'm trying to practice so I can try to get a 90-100 on the exam. Here are my test scores to show some sense of credibility. Please message me!

ACT - 36
    Math2 - 800
    Bio - 790
    Chem - 770
    AP CalcAB - 5
    AP Com. Sci - 5
    AMC 12A (Feb. 2016)- 117

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmanGottu)
    Hey guys if anyone is interested in having group skype sessions to practice for MAT be sure to message me! I'm a US applicant btw and I'm trying to practice so I can try to get a 90-100 on the exam. Here are my test scores to show some sense of credibility. Please message me!

ACT - 36
    Math2 - 800
    Bio - 790
    Chem - 770
    AP CalcAB - 5
    AP Com. Sci - 5
    AMC 12A (Feb. 2016)- 117
    :eek:

Where are you applying in the UK and for which courses, out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    :eek:

Where are you applying in the UK and for which courses, out of curiosity?
    I'm applying to Oxford for Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to be applying for Maths at Oxford but I was going to be applying to Cambridge. I therefore have not looked at the MAT yet and would appreciate any help at all. Please message me, I have skype and would love to group sessions. How much practise do I need to be doing between now and November?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unusualbob1)
    Hi, I am going to be applying for Maths at Oxford but I was going to be applying to Cambridge. I therefore have not looked at the MAT yet and would appreciate any help at all. Please message me, I have skype and would love to group sessions. How much practise do I need to be doing between now and November?
    It definitely depends on how much you know right now. There's around 2 months until the exam so there's definitely some time to prepare. Message me your skype so we can figure something out!

ReputationRep:
    I just looked at Imperial for the MAT and it turns out you don't need to sit it for Computer Science. Is there any reason for this? They use it for everything else except for comp sci

ReputationRep:
    I feel even though the exam is in November, there still isn't enough time to prepare.

ReputationRep:
    What trig facts do we need to learn.

E.g sin30= 1/2
    sin60=(root3)/2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)

E.g sin30= 1/2
    sin60=(root3)/2
    hmm you probably need  \displaystyle \cos^2x + \sin^2x= 1,the three  \displaystyle \cos2x ones,  \displaystyle \sin2x = 2 \sin x \cos x .

Id say learn the values of sinx, cosx and tanx for x = 0, 30, 45, 60 ,90 ( degrees).

also  \displaystyle \tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}

also as you probably know you dont get a formula book, so make sure you know the sine rule and the cosine rule

theres probably more but thats all I can think of rn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)

E.g sin30= 1/2
    sin60=(root3)/2
    In terms of the syllabus, you'll need to be comfortable with using radians, tanx = sinx/cosx, sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) =1, and that sin (pi/2 - x) = cosx. You'll also need to know the exact values of sin, cos and tan for 0,30,45,60 and 90 degrees (it's not that bad to learn then by rote - remember one line for sin, then "reverse" it for cos, and applying tanx = sinx/cosx for tanx.

Also, something that comes up a *lot* - remember how to work with the maximum and minimum of sine and cosine functions. And squaring something makes it positive!

Also, note that if you've got something like sin(sqrt(x)), sqrt(x) increases slower than x, so the waves will get further and further apart. Similarly, in sin(x^2), the waves will get closer and closer together. You'll probably see a few examples in multiple choice questions.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.