Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If there is a lower age limit on voting, why isn't there an upper age limit too? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    So a 17 year old who doesn't pay taxes or contribute to society in any way is more 'important' than a 90 year old who has been paying into the system for years and worked hard all their life? This is why people think young people are stupid.
    I haven't said that at all. I've said they're both equally unimportant to society

Jk. I don't think we should take away the vote from old people. It'd be undemocratic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    It's not just kids who say that remaining is good for the economy. It's LARGELY people who have worked jobs, especially the experts in their fields: economists, lawyers, scientists, engineers. Or are those not the hard-working people you're talking about?
    It's those who have benefited from the upside of globalism, the winners of capitalism. Brexit was a revolt of the people and if wealthy people lose the values of their homes and their jobs it will force a return to true left-wing politics where working class people have to benefit from prosperity.

I think this is what has grated me so hard about the rhetoric. Kids parroting what the rich businessman or the professor whose funding comes from the EU has told them to say is not a trendy well educated person who understands the world despite the stereotypes.

There's nothing quite as amusing as pissing Brexiters off on TSR. I manage to do it every day, so I'd know
    I voted remain.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing quite as amusing as pissing Brexiters off on TSR. I manage to do it every day, so I'd know
    man admires ho's ability to make stupid threads :borat:

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Bye!
    Bye Felicia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    They are not capable of making informed decisions.
    Neither are the majority of the country. But do we deny them? Voting isn't necessarily about an informed decision. It can be based on emotion, gut feeling, choosing the least worst option, or tactical voting. You may not like that, but that it is called democracy.

There is a liberal elitism emerging from this referendum that has rather a bitter taste to it. This idea that I am capable of making the "right" decision, but you are not and should therefore be denied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    It's those who have benefited from the upside of globalism, the winners of capitalism. Brexit was a revolt of the people and if wealthy people lose the values of their homes and their jobs it will force a return to true left-wing politics where working class people have to benefit from prosperity.

I think this is what has grated me so hard about the rhetoric. Kids parroting what the rich businessman or the professor whose funding comes from the EU has told them to say is not a trendy well educated person who understands the world despite the stereotypes.

I voted remain.
    Wait, so if you don't think the young electorate should have listened to the experts, then in whom SHOULD we have placed our trust? The politicians? Why are you blaming the young generation for listening to scientists, doctors and economists instead of the likes of Farage and Gove? We weren't exactly going to turn to the old people for advice, when many of these people still think we should go back to being a British Empire, or that war was good, or that "white people are becoming a minority in their own country"?

And ah, a pretentious remainer or a Brexiter. You've made me question, for the first time in my life, which one is worse.

ReputationRep:
    Here are remainers shooting themselves in the foot again. Take away votes from the elderly & disabled!

1. 95% of disability organisations where for remain.

It was so bad that even DPAC started chucking out UKIP members from its membership. I barely survived.

2. Majority of the 90+ seniors votes align strongly with their grand children because they are the ones looking after them and influencing them.

30-40% of 65+ still voted remain.
    If it wasn't for the factor of integrating with younger generations by family the remain vote would be even smaller.

Go ahead anyway. Campaign to take away the vote from people who have disabilities & are old.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so if you don't think the young electorate should have listened to the experts, then in whom SHOULD we have placed our trust? The politicians? Why are you blaming the young generation for listening to scientists, doctors and economists instead of the likes of Farage and Gove? We weren't exactly going to turn to the old people for advice, when many of these people still think we should go back to being a British Empire, or that war was good, or that "white people are becoming a minority in their own country"?

I think people should have courage and make their own decisions, if they're unhappy with their lives, crash the ship and start again.

BlackLivesMatter in the Black community, Trump in the White community I love that for the first time in my life, I'm seeing real political discourse rather than different shades of the same crap.

And ah, a pretentious remainer or a Brexiter. You've made me question, for the first time in my life, which one is worse.
    Honoured I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    I think people should have courage and make their own decisions, if they're unhappy with their lives, crash the ship and start again.

BlackLivesMatter in the Black community, Trump in the White community I love that for the first time in my life, I'm seeing real political discourse rather than different shades of the same crap.

Honoured I'm sure.
    Voting is making your own decision, is it not?

ReputationRep:
    Voting is making your own decision, is it not?
    Not if you voted based on what other people tell you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Neither are the majority of the country. But do we deny them? Voting isn't necessarily about an informed decision. It can be based on emotion, gut feeling, choosing the least worst option, or tactical voting. You may not like that, but that it is called democracy.

There is a liberal elitism emerging from this referendum that has rather a bitter taste to it. This idea that I am capable of making the "right" decision, but youeh are not and should therefore be denied.
    The fact most are not experts in relevant fields is an argument for representative democracy over direct democracy however that is not the point of this thread.

The majority are capable of making informed decisions. Whether or not they choose to is another question. And of course, some are better informed than others. And even when one has all the facts, opinions will differ. These things are often subjective and I don't claim there is necessarily a right answer.

However for those without mental capacity there is a disconnect. Their faculties have been lost and they are easily impressionable. They will either be unable to understand information, retain the information long enough to make a decision, weigh up the information or effectively communicate it.
    With regard the GE, the MPs are meant to represent the will of their constituents but a person incapable of doing the above does not have a clear will.

ReputationRep:
    Not if you voted based on what other people tell you.
    Good thing I did my research before voting to not **** up this country, then.

ReputationRep:
    Good thing I did my research before voting to not **** up this country, then.
    If you voted remain because you have a specific career goal in mind which may adversely be affected by a leave vote I respect that, but only stupid people think slavish obedience of authority is research.

ReputationRep:
    If you voted remain because you have a specific career goal in mind which may adversely be affected by a leave vote I respect that, but only stupid people think slavish obedience of authority is research.
    I've made it clear in like 50 posts that my whole career plan revolved around being able to live, move and work freely between the UK, Germany and Austria, in order to work in robotics for a company like Siemens after completing my engineering undergraduate degree in the UK.

But for the record, listening to the advice of the very scientists and engineers whom I hope to join professionally in the future is NOT slavish obedience of authority. They genuinely care about the advancement of knowledge and mankind, and how positive that is for the UK. And you must know that these aren't necessarily very lucrative jobs anyway, before you go around blaming capitalism. That's not something that can be said about the Brexit politicians, and most old people who voted to leave and completely ignored how science and technology will be impacted with a Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    I've made it clear in like 50 posts that my whole career plan revolved around being able to live, move and work freely between the UK, Germany and Austria, in order to work in robotics for a company like Siemens after completing my engineering undergraduate degree in the UK.

But for the record, listening to the advice of the very scientists and engineers whom I hope to join professionally in the future is NOT slavish obedience of authority. Many of these people don't even have lucrative jobs. They genuinely care about the advancement of knowledge and mankind, and how positive that is for the UK. That's not something that can be said about the Brexit politicians, and most old people who voted to leave and completely ignored how science and technology will be impacted with a Brexit.
    I'm sorry for not stalking you, but thank you for admitting that none of this has anything to do with altruism or awareness and is nothing more than a self-centred goal to ensure you experience the future you dreamed of. I don't blame you for any of this, you're simply trying to dupe other people into trying to block this, but like I said, none of it is based on research or being better educated, it's just I want I want I want.

ReputationRep:
    My only opinion is, when having a once in a lifetime referendum, such the EU referendum or Scottish independence, 16 and 17 year olds should be allowed to vote, as it will have long term effects (good or bad) on them.

Old people should still be allowed to vote though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry for not stalking you, but thank you for admitting that none of this has anything to do with altruism or awareness and is nothing more than a self-centred goal to ensure you experience the future you dreamed of. I don't blame you for any of this, you're simply trying to dupe other people into trying to block this, but like I said, none of it is based on research or being better educated, it's just I want I want I want.
    i'm sorry that i have a vested interest in remaining in the european union that has led me to vote as such!!!! i'm so evil!!! you emotional weirdo.

i've done my research for months, and i haven't found anything that would have swayed me enough to have voted to leave anyway. the brexit doesn't just affect me: it affects every single existing and prospective scientist and engineer in this country negatively. why would you care about science and technology in this country, though? it's just you want you want you want.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm sorry that you think my opinion is disgusting. This was meant to be an open, free debate, not an attack on old people.
    You wanted old people, and I quote, "wiped off the face of the earth" yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    You wanted old people, and I quote, "wiped off the face of the earth" yesterday.
    Wrong. I said they will be wiped off the face of the earth.. you know.. when they die....... of old age.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. I said they will be wiped off the face of the earth.. you know.. when they die....... of old age.
    So, lf I've got this right. you're saying it was just a very very unfortunate turn of phrase borne out of naivety. You know, the kind of criticism being levied at Andrea Leadsom over the weekend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.