Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it appropriate to ask what a guy does for a living... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    That's pretty cool, can't say I've ever spoken to a guy in those fields. A teacher was the best I did thus far.

do you find male teachers to be hoooooot? :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    no it is not appropriate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Guess again! :teeth:

Aye

This isn't representative, unfortunately. Many young medics these days are self-serving, elitist, narcissists, and many (naturally) end up being rather selective in their empathy!

I'm sure many are genuine, but you should be aware that some see a vulnerable girl/opportunity to 'play doctor' e.g. show off/attempt to assume a(n inappropriately) paternalistic role (as you know, I get a read on people in no time at all and understand the human/male psyche very intuitively)

Complacent et. condescending, yes, I know the type. Don't mind it if they actually have something to back it up but most are tragically short on real human 'capital' :mmm:

That's so sweet, and kinda resonates with me in ways I doubt you're aware of/fully appreciate but perhaps one day will

Vaccinations.. :indiff:

Spoiler:
    Show
    oh really? Are you very passionate about your work that you don't mind it over riding your social life?

I see what you mean but I think that's only the minority,with much older guys I've not really seen them to appear very selfish, in fact they've always been sweet and gentle and patient with me but my friends are not representative of the entire generation of young male medics so I guess I'm blessed that they have caring qualities.

Well in general,they ask about my health,talk about research but it's never really been in a kind of show off way,just full of humility with a few cheeky jokes about biomedical scientists being the slaves of medics but we just laugh it off and they've given me an insight into what it's going to be like for me to study medicine. And I've always kept our connections appropriate,we have boundaries as with every other person in my life and it's Abit like a paternalistic quality to have but I just see it as caring about someone a lot

They have this mentality that they can have you and win you over in no time no matter how difficult you appear to be,it comes across as being a jerk and I don't think they see this. And then they're the ones who try to play hard to get in a joky way and it's always a rhetorical question with them. I could imagine they'd be hard work but they're funny,joyful,cheeky but on the downside,arrogant! I wonder why most have these qualities when working in said sector.

You're into wildlife involving big cats and alligators? Oh what do you mean by that? :gasp: sounds so interesting . BTW,I would love to work for national geographical channel when I'm older :innocent:
    * Yellow fever ones and malaria would be the two major ones and take pills as well when going to tropical countries! I'll take a look at the vid

ReputationRep:
    It almost always comes up anyway, heck even most people ask me all the time what I'm doing with my life. OFC if it didn't, I'd ask anyway since it matter to me. May not matter to others. I don't need another over-aged supermarket underachiever in my life, whereas an equally driven rat-racer with not enough time sounds perfect.
    I'd have asked if I were you OP.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong in that, as long as you ask nicely. It's a common question I think.

But if a girl asked me how much I earn, then I'd be put off and think she's a gold digger.

ReputationRep:
    should that not be one of the first things you ask? When is it ok to have that talk?
    just be honest and fire away the top 5 things you really want to know
    1. what his monthly income after tax is
    2. any previous wives or kids?
    3. what car he drives
    4.penis length
    4. does he have his own place yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Are you very passionate about your work that you don't mind it over riding your social life?
    Fraid so, particularly when it comes to my greatest/most pro-social work (e.g. integrative physiology research/writing has had me skipping meals and **** in the past)

just full of humility with a few cheeky jokes about biomedical scientists being the slaves of medics
    Presumably you're smart enough, and well nformed enough (e.g. under my tutorage), to know what the undertones are/intent is here :rolleyes:

I've always kept our connections appropriate
    Never in doubt, but if you're honest with yourself you know full well that had you not made an effort to do so then some of these guys would have sought to capitalise on a female in a position of vulnerability

I just see it as caring about someone a lot
    Sometimes that's reasonable, other times hopeful, and in some cases arguably deliberately blinkered

They have this mentality that they can have you and win you over in no time no matter how difficult you appear to be, it comes across as being a jerk and I don't think they see this
    Must work on some people. Truth is, when I’m coaching my guys I tell them that a moderate air of indifference/entitlement can be highly alluring, but you have to: A) Be able to back it up with something; B) Carry it off with aplomb

try to play hard to get in a jokey way
    Nowt wrong in that, so long as A + B are satisfied (granted, they probably aren’t with most of these tools) :rolleyes:

it's always a rhetorical question with them
    Douche factor 5

I wonder why most have these qualities when working in said sector
    The world has taught them that they’re special/desirable, by simple virtue of being employed in a relatively richly rewarded sector (in pecuniary terms, at least). Poor fools get lost in their own superficial myth, and sucked into this pseudo-masculine form of arrogant misogyny that flatters them not. I’d a friend who works for Goldmans, and what she described made the caricature seem relatively mild tbh

You're into wildlife involving big cats and alligators
    Naw, ickle cats and newts :innocent:

Oh what do you mean by that? :gasp: sounds so interesting
    Maybe you’ll find out

I would love to work for national geographical channel when I'm older :innocent:
    Remind me how old you are again? :laugh:
    I'll take a look at the vid
    Might make you think twice.. :flute:

ReputationRep:
    Fraid so, particularly when it comes to my greatest/most pro-social work (e.g. integrative physiology research/writing has had me skipping meals and **** in the past)

Presumably you're smart enough, and well nformed enough (e.g. under my tutorage), to know what the undertones are/intent is here :rolleyes:

Never in doubt, but if you're honest with yourself you know full well that had you not made an effort to do so then some of these guys would have sought to capitalise on a female in a position of vulnerability

Sometimes that's reasonable, other times hopeful, and in some cases arguably deliberately blinkered

Must work on some people. Truth is, when I’m coaching my guys I tell them that a moderate air of indifference/entitlement can be highly alluring, but you have to: A) Be able to back it up with something; B) Carry it off with aplomb

Nowt wrong in that, so long as A + B are satisfied (granted, they probably aren’t with most of these tools) :rolleyes:

Douche factor 5

The world has taught them that they’re special/desirable, by simple virtue of being employed in a relatively richly rewarded sector (in pecuniary terms, at least). Poor fools get lost in their own superficial myth, and sucked into this pseudo-masculine form of arrogant misogyny that flatters them not. I’d a friend who works for Goldmans, and what she described made the caricature seem relatively mild tbh

Naw, ickle cats and newts :innocent:

Maybe you’ll find out

Remind me how old you are again? :laugh:
    Might make you think twice.. :flute:
    you're so committed to good causes

Honestly,it's just an innocent joke.

if they care enough,genuinely care,they will never try and take advantage of me.

They usually back it up by being douchbags :rolleyes: and I'm amazed at the girls who sleep with them or even date them. If you like someone just because of their job and earning potential then clearly she's just a gold digger,especially with these banker dudes

They do have a streak of misogyny and talking about women in disrespectful ways,like they're just made for their pleasure/entertainment. They know hey could probably lay girls by flashing some cash here and there and boasting that they're city workers who have a rich family and highly desired by other females. They love behaving so arrogantly *and you'd be surprised how some girls actually love it. I imagine the ones who eventually will get married will probably still be flirting with females in clubs on the weekends or have mistresses on the side*

Hi 5! It'd be good to just do this thing for a living. It's adrenaline pumping and exciting and I just want to find a guy who has that same passion so we can do on trips together to wild safaris or the rainforest. My dream world :love:

Speak thy mind :fuhrer:

I'm 24 OMG now I feel really old. I still have a few more years of living so I guess it is not too late to work at nat geo if they'll accept me,which I hope they will!

Yikes! :argh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    It's not about the job, it's about what you want out of life. I tend to be attracted to independent, driven, competitive people. Women that strive to be the very best they can be. I'm just saying you don't tend to meet people like that that are long term minimum wage workers.

If, since 16 you've been at the same job, or at the same level doing the same thing, it speaks to me that, well, you're not really that driven/ambitious? And there is nothing wrong with that! I guess some people their reasons. I've met amazing women who have given up everything to care for ill family members and have therefore stunted their own career development etc. But they are few and far between.

Remember this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to take away anything from these people, or make out like they're undesirable.

I'm not working class, but I'm from a single parent background. I don't get what your point is?

Yep, I agree. I just enjoy people who are passionate about what they do for a living.
    That's totally fair enough then because ambition and career drive are things you find attractive so it would be very interesting for you to know what they do. I'm the opposite, I'm more interested to know what hobbies and passions they have outside work. Very few get to work in a place they feel passionately for, most work to keep food on the table so I don't mind if work is not where they show their true talents.

By that I just meant that being working class I have met loads of people who are over 25 and are still in low paid roles cleaners, warehouse operatives, retail, stock fillers, mail sorters etc. etc. who are really nice to be around, it's kind of the norm.

ReputationRep:
    you're so committed to good causes
    You only know the half of it

Honestly, it's just an innocent joke
    Would they joke about your seniority if you were further in your career than them? Probably not. Think about it, it's a not-so-subtle jokey jokey (semi-serious) power play. Wake up

I'm amazed at the girls who sleep with them or even date them
    Plenty of easily wowed/relatively immoral ditzy blonde slutbags out there :dontknow:

They do have a streak of misogyny and talking about women in disrespectful ways,like they're just made for their pleasure/entertainment
    Yup, reinforced by experiences with their 'target market' (girls described above)

I imagine the ones who eventually will get married will probably still be flirting with females in clubs on the weekends or have mistresses on the side
    Yup, and they're all members of 'gentlemans clubs', most do coke, and you won't find many who haven't used sex workers/been involved in group sex/wife swapping etc. These twonks never grow up

it is not too late to work at nat geo if they'll accept me, which I hope they will!
    Indeed it’s not, and indeed it’s time to make things happen

ReputationRep:
    You only know the half of it

Would they joke about your seniority if you were further in your career than them? Probably not. Think about it, it's a not-so-subtle jokey jokey (semi-serious) power play. Wake up

Plenty of easily wowed/relatively immoral ditzy blonde slutbags out there :dontknow:

Yup, reinforced by experiences with their 'target market' (girls described above)

Yup, and they're all members of 'gentlemans clubs', most do coke, and you won't find many who haven't used sex workers/been involved in group sex/wife swapping etc. These twonks never grow up

Indeed it’s not, and indeed it’s time to make things happen
    power play? You mean seducing me with the fact that they're smarter than me and have successfully completed med school and gone on to become doctors? Hah! It's not really big a deal to me and like I've said,they don't seem to be the manipulative,completely arrogant type,in fact the complete opposite. And in any case,it's always nice that the guy is earning more in my opinion,that way I won't have to work

Correct! I don't know if they've had multiple affairs or group sex but wouldn't put it past them especially working in the banking sector. I'll go from Hannah the good,orthodox girl to Hannah the hoe :cry:

Well,I'm making things happen,I just need connections and a good place to start. I visited the store the other day on Kensington high street. I don't even mind volunteering for them,I just need to get in there/get my foot through the door to begin with*

ReputationRep:
    Why do girls never text back when I tell them I work at McDonalds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    Why do girls never text back when I tell them I work at McDonalds?
    Lol haha u should ask em

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    power play? You mean seducing me with the fact that they're smarter than me and have successfully completed med school and gone on to become doctors?
    They plant the seed that they're superior/have a laudable position, and that you're this cute little subordinate wannabe *jokey jokey*

they don't seem to be the manipulative,completely arrogant type
    It's relatively subtle, sometimes somewhat subconscious pecking-order type behaviour

it's always nice that the guy is earning more in my opinion, that way I won't have to work
    Oh no doubt! Good luck with your lap of luxury lifestyle aspirations

ReputationRep:
    They plant the seed that they're superior/have a laudable position, and that you're this cute little subordinate wannabe *jokey jokey*

It's relatively subtle, sometimes somewhat subconscious pecking-order type behaviour

Oh no doubt! Good luck with your lap of luxury lifestyle aspirations
    I am indeed a wannabe doctor :sad:

I am no gold digger!

Seeing as you also want to work with wild animals maybe we can break into the industry together *

ReputationRep:
    I am indeed a wannabe doctor :sad:

I am no gold digger!

Seeing as you also want to work with wild animals maybe we can break into the industry together *
    I know about a secret stash of nazi gold if you want in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I know about a secret stash of nazi gold if you want in

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how?!

ReputationRep:
    should that not be one of the first things you ask? When is it ok to have that talk?
    I think it would be off-putting if that was the first thing a woman asked me. Give it 2-3 days of conversations.

ReputationRep:
    how?!
    That's secret.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Depends when you ask it and how. If its of primary importance for you then be careful not to come across as materialistic or superficial if that might bother you.If you get to know people then you kind of know when to drop it in.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.