Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Chittesh's Journey to 3 A*s at A-Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Post 1 - 13/07/2016:

Progess - Today:
    Extremely lazy today. Been out and messed around when I came back for a few hours. Downloaded fifa 16 (... i'm addicted to anything) and played it for 2 hours. Going to delete it next week - I promise.
    Done 30 minutes of Further Maths (FP1 - Chapter 1 Argand Diagrams).
    Tasks for tomorrow:
    Finish the last parts of Chapter 3 of C2 and start (and finish) Chapter 4 as well.
    Finish Chapter 1 of FP1.

If I have any spare time - read over the Binomial Expansion (Chapter 5) or read it all.

Reflection:
    I don't know why but today I felt awesome lol. Currently, I am finding Chapter 1 of FP1 so easy (well relatively easy) and I feel clever lmao. There are some people who find it hard and I use that as a motivation (selfish? ). Even though it is the easiest chapter, I just get excited and happy when I find something easy lol. Anyway, my brother helped me today as well so I'm EXTREMELY happy.

I just can't wait to go further in FP1 and finish it - want to get at least 85 UMS in my first past paper!
    Hey just out of curiosity, what resources were you using to study maths? How have you found self-teaching maths alevel?

ReputationRep:
    My GCSES arent great and I just finished alevels with A*A*A in maths,further maths and physics (5 ums off the A*, got 265/300 in A2 modules )
    so dont listen to anyone saying you cant do it, because you definitely can

Also remember to enjoy FM aswell, its great when its easy but when it gets hard just work at it and remember you're doing FM because you love doing maths

ReputationRep:
    Also, some universities don't take self-teaching into consideration a lot, if you get a low UMS they'll take other people who've got higher instead (with teaching).
    Where did you get that from, regarding self teaching vs teaching? I can understand where you're coming from for the UMS side of things though..
    Are you wanting to study maths at university ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! We are exactly the same!!

I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics this year for A Levels too!! Maths is my favourite subject too! And I am changing into a new person and prove everyone wrong and show them I can get 3 A*s at A Level.

I didn't try hard at GCSE at all and was so lost and completely stressed out. Got my results day before yesterday and go 10 As(Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths Apps, Maths Methods, English Lang, English Lit, Geog, German, ICT) and 1B(Business Studies) and 1C(P.E.)

I'm worried about studying 4 subjects in year 13 though...it's going to be so stressful.

Do you think we can still have a social life in the next 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Where did you get that from, regarding self teaching vs teaching? I can understand where you're coming from for the UMS side of things though..
    Are you wanting to study maths at university ?
    Cambridge threads I've read from ^. I read people and their situations and the reply they get lol.
    Yeah, I want to read Maths at any top-15 university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAspireToSucceed)
    Hi! We are exactly the same!!

I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics this year for A Levels too!! Maths is my favourite subject too! And I am changing into a new person and prove everyone wrong and show them I can get 3 A*s at A Level.

I didn't try hard at GCSE at all and was so lost and completely stressed out. Got my results day before yesterday and go 10 As(Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths Apps, Maths Methods, English Lang, English Lit, Geog, German, ICT) and 1B(Business Studies) and 1C(P.E.)

I'm worried about studying 4 subjects in year 13 though...it's going to be so stressful.

Do you think we can still have a social life in the next 2 years?
    Hi, buddy, your results are really good. I didn't actually revise for GCSE basically - I revised 1 day before each exam. I'm confused as to how I got these results, so I'm quite confident for my A-levels. I'm just worried about doing 4 subjects if I do because I've have to self-teach Further Maths - if you read like 3-4 posts earlier you'll understand . I will definitely have a social life, I learn really fast and I feel I've got a lot of potential to show. If I do revise, I'll literally be aiming for those 3 A*s because I feel I can get them. But, I won't be shocked or surprised if I don't - remember A-levels are painful and the hardest.... they're a tough journey. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge threads I've read from ^. I read people and their situations and the reply they get lol.
    Yeah, I want to read Maths at any top-15 university
    Ah that's quite interesting as my friend self taught a level maths in y9 and 10.. He came out with an a* though I think he has 93+avg
    He even resat s1 just to get it up to 100 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Ah that's quite interesting as my friend self taught a level maths in y9 and 10.. He came out with an a* though I think he has 93+avg
    He even resat s1 just to get it up to 100 lol
    That's completely different man. That's a person who's got quite a llot of potential even though A-level Maths may not be hard, doing it at that age shows talent. Depends I think if you work hard it's possible especially over two years, but it's still difficult. Lol @ S1, that's 1 module I think I'll hate...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, buddy, your results are really good. I didn't actually revise for GCSE basically - I revised 1 day before each exam. I'm confused as to how I got these results, so I'm quite confident for my A-levels. I'm just worried about doing 4 subjects if I do because I've have to self-teach Further Maths - if you read like 3-4 posts earlier you'll understand . I will definitely have a social life, I learn really fast and I feel I've got a lot of potential to show. If I do revise, I'll literally be aiming for those 3 A*s because I feel I can get them. But, I won't be shocked or surprised if I don't - remember A-levels are painful and the hardest.... they're a tough journey. Good luck
    Im being serious here now...your blog is really good and im only in year 11...you have earned this rep sir! Also I started my own blog too let me know what you think 😉

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I just realised I missed a lot of posts lol. I didn't see them, going to reply to them all now!! SORRY GUYS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Is that true!?? I am teaching myself FM but currently lacking the motivation. I am gonna try and go all out when school starts but we'll see
    That's what I've seen. I think it depends on the university. Remember, Cambridge is on another level - they only want the best, so if they see a person with higher UMS than you (it shows they're better than you) then they'll most likely take them. This is when you apply because UMS is the main indicator so you'll get an interview etc but obviously they'll stand a higher chance in the UMS part that is taken into consideration. If you do good in the interviews then it'll boost you up. However, other universities might take self-teaching into more consideration you never know.

For now, self-teach it as it's giving you a boost before school. If you need help (if you're doing Edexcel) ask me, I can help on FP1 so far some stuff. Good luck I'm also going to go all out I hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simply_a_ Δ)
    Hey just out of curiosity, what resources were you using to study maths? How have you found self-teaching maths alevel?
    To be honest, for GCSE Maths - I had this amazing book that my brother bought me but I made absolutely no good use of it. He bought it for me in Year 8 I think and I started using it in Year 10 after I was told I'd be entered a year early for my GCSE Maths - a few months before the actual exam. At this point, I just read the examples and that's it - I almost knew that I know the topics, so I didn't try out questions (cocky me - was an idiot) but I found GCSE incredibly easy. Then, I started using MathsWatch as a recommendation and in that way I done questions to test my knowledge. But, I felt the book was the best resource ever - if I did do a lot of questions then I'd have probably got really high marks - best book, I loved it. <3

I have found self-teaching maths A-level very easy so far (C1) and for Further Maths (FP1) was a bit difficult but I rushed it and never put in time to learning , so I guess that's why. It was never difficult learning the content, I used to get all the questions right until the last exercise where literally every question used to stumble me because those were the hardest questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    My GCSES arent great and I just finished alevels with A*A*A in maths,further maths and physics (5 ums off the A*, got 265/300 in A2 modules )
    so dont listen to anyone saying you cant do it, because you definitely can

Also remember to enjoy FM aswell, its great when its easy but when it gets hard just work at it and remember you're doing FM because you love doing maths
    Wow, firstly - congratulations! Excellent results, I understand Physics is unquestionably hard, hence why I have doubts taking it . Still, you're UMS is powerful and you really deserve your grades. I understand what you're saying because I know there is a huge difference between GCSE and A-level, one is a joke and the other is not. Thanks for your motivation and story , what university are you planning to go for - assuming you want to read Maths?

I will enjoy Further Maths (hopefully) and I will smash it (again hopefully XD). I'm not sure myself if I enjoy Maths or not, but I definitely do enjoy when I get high marks and it's probably because I'm talented at it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msj/rsj)
    Im being serious here now...your blog is really good and im only in year 11...you have earned this rep sir! Also I started my own blog too let me know what you think 😉
    Thank you sir, respect. I am going to take a look at your blog right now and let you know what I think . I'll also suggest some changes if possible to make it as clear as possible - so people find out what they need to - e.g. for a grow your grades blog they want to know your GCSEs, mock grades and progress etc.

ReputationRep:
    Eh, TSR is bugging me. Sorry for those people who quoted me and I didn't reply, until I saw the posts individually now. I'm not receiving notifications for every post/reply I'm tagged in - sorry about this but I do check the posts everyday to see if I missed any lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Post 18 - 28/08/2016

Done a few more past papers since the last post.

Here is the overall list of my results:

June 2016 - 73/75 raw marks, FULL UMS (100)
    June 2015 - 71/75 raw marks, 93 UMS
    June 2014 - 74/75 raw marks, 98 UMS
    June 2013 - 72/75 raw marks, 95 UMS
    January 2013 - 71/75 raw marks, 96 UMS
    June 2012 - 73/75 raw marks, FULL UMS (100)
    January 2012 - 75/75 raw marks, FULL UMS and RAW MARKS
    June 2011 - 74/75 raw marks, FULL UMS (100)
    January 2011 - 70/75 raw marks, 92 UMS
    June 2010 - 74/75 raw marks, FULL UMS (100)
    January 2010 - 75/75 raw marks, FULL UMS and RAW MARKS

Average so far:

72.9 raw marks so 73 raw marks.
    97.6 UMS so around 98 UMS

ReputationRep:
    Wow, firstly - congratulations! Excellent results, I understand Physics is unquestionably hard, hence why I have doubts taking it . Still, you're UMS is powerful and you really deserve your grades. I understand what you're saying because I know there is a huge difference between GCSE and A-level, one is a joke and the other is not. Thanks for your motivation and story , what university are you planning to go for - assuming you want to read Maths?

I will enjoy Further Maths (hopefully) and I will smash it (again hopefully XD). I'm not sure myself if I enjoy Maths or not, but I definitely do enjoy when I get high marks and it's probably because I'm talented at it lol.
    Thanks a lot yea gcses to me test if you can do lots of subjects at a "skimming the surface" level, then alevel is a little more in depth in a select few subjects. I think alevels suit some people better (such as me) because I can do maths and science and thats about it :laugh:, others do very well at gcse then not so well at alevels and then very smart people do well in both!

starting a gap year, going to study maths and computer science.

I assumed you did because you're doing maths over summer, whoops. Hopefully you grow to love it as you work through further maths

Eh, TSR is bugging me. Sorry for those people who quoted me and I didn't reply, until I saw the posts individually now. I'm not receiving notifications for every post/reply I'm tagged in - sorry about this but I do check the posts everyday to see if I missed any lucky!
    also im getting this too, i didnt get a notification for your reply, i just happened to read it when looking thorugh the thread. TSR itself must be bugged, hopefully its fixed soon

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I hope you get those 3a* grades 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    Good luck! I hope you get those 3a* grades 😊
    Thanks boss

ReputationRep:
    That's completely different man. That's a person who's got quite a llot of potential even though A-level Maths may not be hard, doing it at that age shows talent. Depends I think if you work hard it's possible especially over two years, but it's still difficult. Lol @ S1, that's 1 module I think I'll hate...
    S1 is a module I think anyone is able to understand if they put some effort into it
    I ended up with 93/100 and I wasn't the best at stats lol

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.