Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corbyn ratings at - 41% after 10 months in the job Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is very funny.

In recent times, people have been shouting and complaining how politicians and political leaders are all the same. How the Tories and Labour were the same. The Labour Party elected a true Labour politician and now everyone is complaining that he is too left wing.

You can never satisfy people in this world. This is the reason why politicians lie to their electorate because they cannot handle the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    Eagle had a brick through her offices window?!
    We don't know who did this yet. Not necessarily anything to do with Corbyn, they have some local issues in Wallasey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Telling someone they are going to get it like Jo Cox, that there will be a queue of men waiting to rape you when you go outside, or throwing bricks through office windows, show just how toxic some of the views of corbyn's supporters. You cannot simply wish some of this stuff away as exaggeration. The simply fact is some of corbyn's supporters are extremists, willing to use political intimidation as a viable tactic. It's being done in his name and he needs to be seen to do more to deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With over 500,000 people supporting him, there are bound to be some nutters in there. These incidents are in no way typical of Corbyn supporters in general, even though the media portrays them as such.
    Both Corbyn and Momentum have condemed this type of behaviour and as they people responsible are not known, there is not much more that they personally can do. The police should be dealing with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)

spend some time reviewing SNP policies and you will find they are not very left wing at all.
    Like which policies? I'm not dismissing this I'm just curious. I've liked all the policies I've seen. Unless I'm more right wing than I think I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Like which policies? I'm not dismissing this I'm just curious. I've liked all the policies I've seen. Unless I'm more right wing than I think I am
    Don't they want to cut corp tax to 14%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Lib Dems? I think many left-wing voters will be looking towards a revival of the Lib Dems who will be contesting the centre ground as well as the left-wing.
    Yes it occurred to me and I wouldn't completely write them off... I've never been very excited by them though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliccam)
    Corbyn's ratings (if true) reflect the total weight of the mainstream media and the establishment acting against him. They have massive influence with casual voters who never look behind the headlines. They don't want him because he is going to break their total dominance of society.
    He has been painted as hard left, but what does that mean?
    He is against austerity and wants a decent minimum wage.
    He wants to stop zero hours contracts and the general undermining of fair pay and conditions,
    He wants to stop the privatisation and under-funding in the NHS.
    He wants to build enough housing so people can afford to buy or rent without using half or more of their earnings to do it and lead a life of debt.
    He wants to abolish tuition fees so everyone from whatever background can have access to university without saddling themselves with a mountain of debt.
    He wants to invest in the UK industry and public services, and stop them being at the mercy of profiteers.
    He is against war.
    He is against nuclear weapons, their danger, and the ludicrous waste of resources they represent.
    t.

AKA he wants to spend as much money as possible. Where is he going to get the money from? Increasing debt.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it occurred to me and I wouldn't completely write them off... I've never been very excited by them though
    Well, I think they have a sensible mix of economically liberal policy with good policies.

The reality is that they should have never gone into power with the conservatives. It completely screwed them over on a PR front.

They made promises that they couldn't keep due to the dire economic circumstances and I am sure that will come to haunt them in the next election,.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliccam)
    What is it you don't like about Corbyn, he is about the closest thing we have to the SNP in the UK?
    In a lot of interviews I find him abrasive and childish, he has a temper that makes me worry when I think about some right wing world leaders he would have to get on with if he were PM.

I like him in PMQs and I like a lot of his ideas and principles. But I don't think he's very good at working alongside those he disagrees with.

I also find some of his ideas really old fashioned and I was really disappointed with his performance in the referendum. And that's not just because the media said he was lukewarm - he WAS lukewarm. He himself admitted that he was only just over half/half about wanting to stay in the EU. And that was a week before the vote.

A lot of the places which voted to Leave were working class Labour strongholds. Of course these have been completely neglected by the Tory government and that contributed massively to Brexit, but if we had had a Labour leader who had been more persuasive on the Remain vote, we could have saved it.

People keep saying that the Labour party performed well in terms of voting to Remain but that's absolute rubbish. They were the worst performing party after UKIP and Conservatives (both of which you would have imagined would be slightly more pro Leave). Lib Dems, SNP, Green, Plaid Cymru all performed better than Labour.

TLDR: I don't like his personality when he is challenged in interviews - he has a temper. The referendum was his first big challenge and he failed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Don't they want to cut corp tax to 14%?
    I think Alex Salmond did but that was over a year ago. Nicola Sturgeon ditched the idea as far as I'm aware

ReputationRep:
    In a lot of interviews I find him abrasive and childish, he has a temper that makes me worry when I think about some right wing world leaders he would have to get on with if he were PM.

I like him in PMQs and I like a lot of his ideas and principles. But I don't think he's very good at working alongside those he disagrees with.

I also find some of his ideas really old fashioned and I was really disappointed with his performance in the referendum. And that's not just because the media said he was lukewarm - he WAS lukewarm. He himself admitted that he was only just over half/half about wanting to stay in the EU. And that was a week before the vote.

A lot of the places which voted to Leave were working class Labour strongholds. Of course these have been completely neglected by the Tory government and that contributed massively to Brexit, but if we had had a Labour leader who had been more persuasive on the Remain vote, we could have saved it.

People keep saying that the Labour party performed well in terms of voting to Remain but that's absolute rubbish. They were the worst performing party after UKIP and Conservatives (both of which you would have imagined would be slightly more pro Leave). Lib Dems, SNP, Green, Plaid Cymru all performed better than Labour.

TLDR: I don't like his personality when he is challenged in interviews - he has a temper. The referendum was his first big challenge and he failed it.
    Great post.

I think this sums up the feelings of a lot of people in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn reminds me of everything I hated about college JCR hacks.

ReputationRep:
    On university attendance

The richest Scottish students are 3.53 times more likely to enter university aged 18 (or younger) via UCAS than the poorest ones, compared with 2.58 in Northern Ireland, 2.56 in Wales and 2.52 in England.

Despite being in power for 7 years they have not raised taxes. They are essentially new labour in new clothes. lowish tax & big spend but only the spending is more regressive in that it goes to the middle class.

ReputationRep:
    He does not regard the mainstream media as friendly and can therefore come across as defensive. This is with good reason, as they have mostly been in a range between dissmissive and abusive and many have knowingly smeared him,

He has had a lot of successes with things he has raised at PMQs, with quite a few reversals by the Tories. He probably does have some difficulty with those who disagree with him, as many even among his own party have been intransigent and undermining. He has tried to be inclusive from the start, but this has simply been interpreted as weakness. His style of leadership is different to what we are used to, but it doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

He was honest and accurate about his views on the EU (7.5/10 actually), something we are not used to with our normally posturing MPs, He directed the unjustified blame for the problems of immigration to long standing lack government action on housing and cutbacks to the NHS, and said that ongoing changes need to be made to the EU to make it work properly in everyone interest. Both true and good reasons for remaining. Would you rather he lied or gave half truths like just about everyone else involve in both campaigns. I notice that Alan Johnson, who was supposedly in charge of the Labour campaign has neatly sidestepped any blame.

The referendum was not a party issue. People vote for the various parties for lots of different reasons, often simply because they hate the alternative party. Voters don't blindly follow what any political leader says, but are often swayed by the mainstream media, who unfortunately thrive on sensation rather than fact.

This is as I said at the top, he is hounded constantly by unfriendly press, who want nothing more than to misquote or misrepresent him, and are not at all interested in what his policies are, just his personality and a headline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    My hope is that things go in cycles. In the 80s people were saying Labour were finished and in the 90s they won a majority of over 100.
    Then in the 2000s people were saying that the Tory party were finished and now they have a majority.
    In the 1906 election:

The Liberal Party had 398 MPs

The Irish Parliamentary Party had 82 seats

By the 1918 election:

The government Liberal Party had 127 seats and the opposition Liberal Party had 36 MPS

The Irish Parliamentary Party had 6 MPs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.