The Student Room Group

What languages can you speak in and what languages can you think in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Trapz99
Yes

Can you write Tamil?
Fluent in English, Russian and Sarcasm :tongue:
Also can think in all 3 :biggrin:
Serbian, English, French, Italian.
Reply 63
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Fluent in English, Russian and Sarcasm :tongue:
Also can think in all 3 :biggrin:

What age did you learn English and Russian?

and Sarcasm :P
Original post by fg45344
What age did you learn English and Russian?

and Sarcasm :P

I'm from Russia originally, started learning English when I was 7 (moved to the UK at that time). I'd say I was pretty confident speaking it when I was 9/10 :smile: I speak both languages at home too
Also learned sarcasm a bit later on unfortunately haha:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
I'm from Russia originally, started learning English when I was 7 (moved to the UK at that time). I'd say I was pretty confident speaking it when I was 9/10 :smile: I speak both languages at home too

So you can think in 2 languages?
Original post by fg45344

speak & think fluently:
English
Swiss German
German

Speak & think in broken:
French

Learning to speak:
Japanese
Original post by fg45344
So you can think in 2 languages?

Yep :smile:
I can speak and think in 3 languages only :getmecoat:
Original post by Actuvia
speak & think fluently:
English
Swiss German
German

Speak & think in broken:
French

Learning to speak:
Japanese

Wow that's great! :smile: How are you finding Japanese? I really want to learn another language, just not sure which one yet.
Original post by fg45344

English, Mandarin and to a lesser extent Spanish
Any of you guys speaking 2 or more languages fluently ever had awkward moments?
For example: I once answered an English question in Russian by accident haha :redface: thankfully it was only a yes or no question
Reply 72
Yep :smile:

What is it like thinking in Russian?
English = Speak & Think.
Urdu, French, Spanish & Mirpuri = Speak.
:smile:
Original post by fg45344
What is it like thinking in Russian?

Well it feels normal to me. I never really thought about it, I've been doing it pretty much all my life (except for the time when I think in English obviously) :tongue:
Reply 75
Well it feels normal to me. I never really thought about it, I've been doing it pretty much all my life (except for the time when I think in English obviously) :tongue:

So you can keep switching between thinking in Russian and thinking in English?
Original post by fg45344
So you can keep switching between thinking in Russian and thinking in English?

Yes, well it tends to depend on the people I'm around - when I'm with English speakers I think in English and same for Russian :smile: I just think in either when I'm alone or a mix of both if I'm feeling adventurous :colondollar:
Reply 77
Yes, well it tends to depend on the people I'm around - when I'm with English speakers I think in English and same for Russian :smile: I just think in either when I'm alone or a mix of both if I'm feeling adventurous :colondollar:

I would have thought you would think in your stronger language when thinking alone?
Original post by fg45344
I would have thought you would think in your stronger language when thinking alone?

Yep I do have a preference for my stronger language (which is English) :smile: But I do think in Russian too for example if I've just read something in Russian/ listened to a song in Russian if you get what I mean
Reply 79
Yep I do have a preference for my stronger language (which is English) :smile: But I do think in Russian too for example if I've just read something in Russian/ listened to a song in Russian if you get what I mean

But you could force yourself to think in Russian when thinking on your own, right? Can you think in any other languages, or just those 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending