Fluent in English, Russian and Sarcasm
    Also can think in all 3

ReputationRep:
    Serbian, English, French, Italian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
    Fluent in English, Russian and Sarcasm
    Also can think in all 3
    What age did you learn English and Russian?

and Sarcasm :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg45344)
    What age did you learn English and Russian?

and Sarcasm :P
    I'm from Russia originally, started learning English when I was 7 (moved to the UK at that time). I'd say I was pretty confident speaking it when I was 9/10 I speak both languages at home too
    Also learned sarcasm a bit later on unfortunately haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Russia originally, started learning English when I was 7 (moved to the UK at that time). I'd say I was pretty confident speaking it when I was 9/10 I speak both languages at home too
    So you can think in 2 languages?

ReputationRep:
    speak & think fluently:
    English
    Swiss German
    German

Speak & think in broken:
    French

Learning to speak:
    Japanese

ReputationRep:
    So you can think in 2 languages?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    I can speak and think in 3 languages only :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Actuvia)
    speak & think fluently:
    English
    Swiss German
    German

Speak & think in broken:
    French

Learning to speak:
    Japanese
    Wow that's great! How are you finding Japanese? I really want to learn another language, just not sure which one yet.

English, Mandarin and to a lesser extent Spanish

ReputationRep:
    Any of you guys speaking 2 or more languages fluently ever had awkward moments?
    For example: I once answered an English question in Russian by accident haha thankfully it was only a yes or no question

ReputationRep:
    Yep
    What is it like thinking in Russian?

ReputationRep:
    English = Speak & Think.
    Urdu, French, Spanish & Mirpuri = Speak.

ReputationRep:
    What is it like thinking in Russian?
    Well it feels normal to me. I never really thought about it, I've been doing it pretty much all my life (except for the time when I think in English obviously)

ReputationRep:
    Well it feels normal to me. I never really thought about it, I've been doing it pretty much all my life (except for the time when I think in English obviously)
    So you can keep switching between thinking in Russian and thinking in English?

ReputationRep:
    So you can keep switching between thinking in Russian and thinking in English?
    Yes, well it tends to depend on the people I'm around - when I'm with English speakers I think in English and same for Russian I just think in either when I'm alone or a mix of both if I'm feeling adventurous

ReputationRep:
    Yes, well it tends to depend on the people I'm around - when I'm with English speakers I think in English and same for Russian I just think in either when I'm alone or a mix of both if I'm feeling adventurous
    I would have thought you would think in your stronger language when thinking alone?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought you would think in your stronger language when thinking alone?
    Yep I do have a preference for my stronger language (which is English) But I do think in Russian too for example if I've just read something in Russian/ listened to a song in Russian if you get what I mean

ReputationRep:
    Yep I do have a preference for my stronger language (which is English) But I do think in Russian too for example if I've just read something in Russian/ listened to a song in Russian if you get what I mean
    But you could force yourself to think in Russian when thinking on your own, right? Can you think in any other languages, or just those 2?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.