Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    In terms of the desktop market, I think you'd use Fedora Core rather than Red Hat.

I haven't used Fedora Core so I can't comment on it.
    FC is as easy as you want it to be. We're running it on a storage server (~1.8Tb in software RAID5) since its default setup allows you to remove any GUI components during setup more eaisally than a 'one-size-fits-all' package like Ubuntu.
    If you want to go hardcore can get 0..01% performance gains try out Gentoo, but you'll grow to hate it very quickly if anything, especially hardware needs changing.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ok, I think I've more or less decided.

If I install a new "distro" and hate it, is it easy to get rid of? I'm assuming (coz I'd install Xubuntu over it if I did) that I'd use my instaling Xubuntu CD, and then choose to delete the relevant partition at that stage?

If so, then I think I'll try a new one!

I want one that:
    • Lots of people here know how to use
    • Is still kinda easy, so not too different from Xubuntu/Windows
    • Will run on my new computer, coz it still probably qualifies as "not very good"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)

If I install a new "distro" and hate it, is it easy to get rid of? I'm assuming (coz I'd install Xubuntu over it if I did) that I'd use my instaling Xubuntu CD, and then choose to delete the relevant partition at that stage?
    ;yes; Yep, you assume correct! You simply delete the old partition and install Xubuntu over it.

I want one that:
    • Will run on my new computer, coz it still probably qualifies as "not very good"
    I'll let someone else pick one for you. I've only tried Ubuntu, UbuntuStudio and Kubuntu, didn't like Kubuntu, everything looked weird to me. :s: So I've settled with UbuntuStudio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)

I want one that:
    If I were you I'd look at trying as many live CDs as possible until you find one you're comfortable with. Don't install any of them until you find a distro that you think you could use for a long time.

To get you started I'd recommend pclinuxos (my personal favourite distro at the moment), Mepis, Puppy and perhaps fedora. All are fairly simple to use but all of them are very different. I don't know how well they will run on your system, puppy will probably be the least resource hungry and I've been told pclinuxos runs relatively well on low spec pcs. Also have a read through www.distrowatch.com to see if any distros particularly interest you.

hope that helps
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    OMG! I am quite possibly the best techie in the entire world! I managed to install a font!

:party: :party: :party:

ReputationRep:
    lol, go you! :five:

I haven't attempted this yet, I cheated and used Automatix to do it for me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I had to like type stuff in Terminal :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    lol, go you! :five:

I haven't attempted this yet, I cheated and used Automatix to do it for me.
    Be careful with automatix, it is known to cause trouble because it doesn't properly check for what you have installed on the system. Most things you need can be installed using the package manager. Have a look at this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

NOTE: The reason automatix can cause problems is because it doesn't check its dependencies properly. Sometimes it install conflicting software ( i.e breaks things ) removes things already installed ( i.e breaks things ) or even changes configurations in a manner that can break future upgrades ( i.e breaks things ). More details here: http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html

It has interesting things like:
    Passes --assume-yes to apt-get, which will (as a result) happily
    remove packages without giving the user an opportunity to
    intervene. This is especially bad when removing Automatix modules -
    any package that depends on one of the packages being removed will
    also be uninstalled, even if the package was originally installed via
    something other than Automatix!

And

if ps -U root -u root u | grep "dpkg" | grep -v grep;
    then
    killall -9 dpkg

May well leave the system in an inconsistent and unbootable state, and
    is carried out without warning. This is entirely unacceptable and will
    leave a stale lockfile in any case.

So well... I'd strongly advice against it. On newer version of Ubuntu it shouldn't be needed as both Feisty and Gutsy will do most of the stuff just as easily through the package manager. As an example, adding "ubuntu restricted extras" will install most restricted codecs, fonts ... etc
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Well done, Juno! That's great!

ReputationRep:
    Be careful with automatix, it is known to cause trouble because it doesn't properly check for what you have installed on the system. Most things you need can be installed using the package manager. Have a look at this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

NOTE: The reason automatix can cause problems is because it doesn't check its dependencies properly. Sometimes it install conflicting software ( i.e breaks things ) removes things already installed ( i.e breaks things ) or even changes configurations in a manner that can break future upgrades..............
    Yeah, I know, sometimes it messes up, the only thing I used Automatix for was installing a load of common fonts at once just to save me the hassle.

(Original post by Juno)
    Well done, Juno! That's great!
    Lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Thanks, you're the most sexy man in the universe! Will you have my babies? :blush:
    I'm very flattered dear, but I don't think it will work long distance.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'd do anything for you, Juno, because you're such a wonderful person
    Will you buy me some RAM? :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I had to like type stuff in Terminal :proud:

you don't really...

open up your home folder
    press ctrl+h to show hidden stuff
    if the folder .fonts doesnt exist, create it
    drag new font in to ~/.fonts/

just so you know
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Choad)
    you don't really...

open up your home folder
    press ctrl+h to show hidden stuff
    if the folder .fonts doesnt exist, create it
    drag new font in to ~/.fonts/

just so you know
    That's exactly what I did, except I did it the typing in terminal way, because I didn't know how to see hidden files that way. But I do in Terminal *geek smilie*
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    OK, does anyone want to help before I throw my digital camera out of the window?

It's a "Kodak Easy Share", but I don't think there's anything easy about it. I connected it USBily, and waited. And waited. And then waited some more. But nothing happened :s: So I think perhaps I'm supposed to do something.

ReputationRep:
    Is the camara now in the garden in the rain?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Phoenix)
    Is the camara now in the garden in the rain?
    No. But only because it isn't raining.

ReputationRep:
    lol

The camera should show up as a removable drive automatically. Somewhere in the menu at the top, there should be a link called "Removable Drives and Media." Clicky. Under Storage make sure "Mount Removable Drives when Hot Plugged" and "Mount Removable Media when Inserted" is checked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No. But only because it isn't raining.
    well you're lucky! it's raining down here!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JayEm)
    lol

The camera should show up as a removable drive automatically. Somewhere in the menu at the top, there should be a link called "Removable Drives and Media." Clicky. Under Storage make sure "Mount Removable Drives when Hot Plugged" and "Mount Removable Media when Inserted" is checked.
    I can't find anything vaguely like that

But I know that when I plug my card reader in, it does it automatically.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 29, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.