Turn on thread page Beta

Don't call your children this!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonov_dingvalla)
    Better still; I was in Borders t'other day when a Mother called to her wayward child "Nivea, come right here Nivea" (Pr: Niv-eh-ah). Now, I can't be sure on the spelling, and maybe I'm just ignorant, but I swear this child was named after popular skincare brand.

I darted behind some wall or other of books to cover my badly hidden laughter...
    It'll be Nevaeh I'm betting - I go on tons of pregnancy/parenting forums and the biggest source of amusement is the name Nevaeh that some women insist on calling their daughters - it's basically Heaven backwards.

It's a biiiiig no-no!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsmann)
    FOr ****s sake i am not a she. Can you read at all?

Secondly, ISH, I HAVE SAID repeatedly that that a person's name does not define who they are. Honestly are you people reading? Do people enjoy jumping to conclusions and putting words into my mouth? All I have said is given a list of names I think are extremely uncool. And if you'd bothered to read, I gave a list of names I considered to be cool. But no, let's ignore that because it would be much easier to be an idiot and insult me.

Let's talk this through. If you came up to me in real life and said, what's your name, and I said (for example, it's not my name) that my name's Bill, and you said "Nice to meet you, I really don't like the way your name sounds though" do you think I'd be offended? No. You have little or no experience of life if you think calling a name uncool. How do you go through life, what will you do when someone actually insults you? So instead of pretending to upset over nothing why don't you just go away and READ THE REST OF THE THREAD BEFORE ACCUSING ME OF THINGS. God some people are just... I won't swear, I've been warned enough times already. God I hate you so much.
    1. I did read through this entire thread, and reread your posts before making a reply.
    2. If you went up to a guy called Bill and said that I have a feeling even a troll as dense as you would get knocked out. Can you really not see how you are offending people.
    3. The list of names you gave as cool, were only given after you had offended half the forum, kinda rubbing it in to all the Bill's, Rosses and so on out there.
    4. If you want to post offensive stuff, go onto a free speech forum.
    5. ISH, trolls are often sexless, thats why they are so miserable lol

ReputationRep:
    Fine then say so rather than being insulting about it. Obviously there are worse names than the one's I've listed (such as Angel or Precious) but including those kind of names would just be silly as there are so many of them and it's pretty much common knowledge that they're awful names.

ReputationRep:
    Fine then say so rather than being insulting about it. Obviously there are worse names than the one's I've listed (such as Angel or Precious) but including those kind of names would just be silly as there are so many of them and it's pretty much common knowledge that they're awful names.
    Here she goes again, lets alienate some more people...

ReputationRep:
    Define "common knowledge"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK89)
    1. I did read through this entire thread, and reread your posts before making a reply.
    2. If you went up to a guy called Bill and said that I have a feeling even a troll as dense as you would get knocked out. Can you really not see how you are offending people.
    3. The list of names you gave as cool, were only given after you had offended half the forum, kinda rubbing it in to all the Bill's, Rosses and so on out there.
    4. If you want to post offensive stuff, go onto a free speech forum.
    5. ISH, trolls are often sexless, thats why they are so miserable lol
    If you said my name sucked me to me, I would say laugh and say whatever. If you think "oh no someone insulted me by saying he doesn't like my name" and cry then you need to get a life. And stop posting in my thread because you'll find not many are offended except you and a few others. Offensive stuff would be racist or homophobic or hateful messages. Honestly you have no idea of anything. And you know, if you had read my posts properly you'd have seen me asking for this thread to be locked as it got out of control. So instead of acting logically and not posting anything at all you took the time to insult me in my thread, so I don't like you, you're a highly immoral person for continuing to accuse me of trolling when you know damn well that wasn't my intention.

ReputationRep:
    Define "common knowledge"
    Go to a professor for example and say, "do you think Precious is a good name for a baby?" and he'd most likely laugh at you, or if not, he's being polite. You can't seriously tell me that you could even consider naming your child Angel or Precious or anything like that. Obviously there are some people who want this, but that's a very small percentage.

ReputationRep:
    Aw crap, she's rolling now

ReputationRep:
    AND stop ****ing calling me a she. This proves you're not reading them.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a professor for example and say, "do you think Precious is a good name for a baby?" and he'd most likely laugh at you, or if not, he's being polite. You can't seriously tell me that you could even consider naming your child Angel or Precious or anything like that. Obviously there are some people who want this, but that's a very small percentage.
    Because I don't want to name my child that makes it "common knowledge?" You have no way to prove common knowledge (are you going to ask every person alive?) so why try?

ReputationRep:
    If you said my name sucked me to me, I would say laugh and say whatever. If you think "oh no someone insulted me by saying he doesn't like my name" and cry then you need to get a life. And stop posting in my thread because you'll find not many are offended except you and a few others. Offensive stuff would be racist or homophobic or hateful messages. Honestly you have no idea of anything. And you know, if you had read my posts properly you'd have seen me asking for this thread to be locked as it got out of control. So instead of acting logically and not posting anything at all you took the time to insult me in my thread, so I don't like you, you're a highly immoral person for continuing to accuse me of trolling when you know damn well that wasn't my intention.
    Well if you wanted this thread locked why are you continuing to post in it. If you went up to a random guy on the street called Bill and did what you descibed you would be in a fight end of. And also i did add something to the thread, sorry who hasnt been reading posts. You seriously need to take the time to calm down and think before you post how things can offend others. I would make a new account with a more accurate name and start again with a clean slate if i were you.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so pedantic. I would bet if you conducted a poll of the country most people would laugh at the idea of calling their child that.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so pedantic. I would bet if you conducted a poll of the country most people would laugh at the idea of calling their child that.
    Just shot holes in your argument with those three words. Go back in your hole, troll.

edit: and who's to say "common knowledge" is limited to your country?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, maybe the names you suggested are probably not socially a good idea, because of attitudes of people like yours. Maybe you should stop continuing with a line that offends people and start posting an apology for people you may have upset.

ReputationRep:
    If I conducted a poll of TSR most people would vote to say you are being a troll.

ReputationRep:
    I know loads of cool Michaels, and i think it's a nice name.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you wanted this thread locked why are you continuing to post in it. If you went up to a random guy on the street called Bill and did what you descibed you would be in a fight end of. And also i did add something to the thread, sorry who hasnt been reading posts. You seriously need to take the time to calm down and think before you post how things can offend others. I would make a new account with a more accurate name and start again with a clean slate if i were you.
    If people would get in a fight for something so ridiculous that's very pathetic and you know it. Unless of course you advocate violence. I'm posting in this thread because of people like you. I'm not just going to stop posting when people are replying to my thread and insulting me.

Can you seriously tell me that you're not exaggerating when you say people will be offended? I can't believe it. Why should I get a new account? I haven't done anything wrong, and if I have, I didn't meant to. I've never insulted or offended anyone intentionally and I've helped lots of people with lots of things. You say I should think before I post, I say get rid of your hatred because it's not a good thing to have, and it's absolutely not fair that you're taking it out on me when (like I said earlier) I thought this thread would be taken in a light hearted fashion.

ReputationRep:
    Right, all of you stop moaning like a bunch of old women and just chat normally. You're all moaning about mrsmann being like a troll, but you're all feeding him. Well done. :rolleyes:

Anyone who makes abusive posts after this post will be warned. :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    abusive posts just to her, or to anyone?

*smacks LPK*

Spoiler:
    Show
    just kidding :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, maybe the names you suggested are probably not socially a good idea, because of attitudes of people like yours.
    What, do you think I'm going treat anyone differently because of their name? READ MY POSTS because you're clearly not. Why do you even bother to post when you don't know what you're on about? And ok, I apologise if anyone was offended, but I can guarantee you no one was seriously offended.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.